How to set up Duel NICs ???

truckerDave

Reaction score
Credits
I have a little bit older Dell PC running Ubuntu Server 22.04.4 LTS. It has 2 NICs and WiFi. I am trying to set it so that Connection 1 (enp0s25) gets a dynamic IP from my pfSense firewall box. Even though it's always assigned the same address (192.168.10.13) based on the MAC address.

And for Connection 2 (enp7s0), I want it to be a static IP of 192.168.50.10. This connection will be used for connecting to my surveillance cameras via Zoneminder.

I did some research and came across information on editing the netplan yaml file. Understandably, as I'm a complete noob to networking, my edits didn't work. Here is what I had ... No laughing!
Code:
network:
  version: 2
  renderer: networkd
  ethernets:
    enp0s25:
      dhcp4: true
    enp7s0:
      dhcp4: true
      addresses: [192.168.50.10/24]
      routes:
       - to: default
         via: 192.168.50.1
      nameservers:
        addresses:[8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4]
Can I get at least an attaboy for effort? ..... No? .... Darn!

Anyway, someone care to give a clueless ole man a few pointers in the right direction?

I would sure appreciate it.
Thanks!

If a mod rolls by, feel free to delete this thread. It's no longer relevant. I've switched to Debian server AND also, learned that isc-dhcp is obsolete. So, switched to Kea-dhcp. And Erma Gerd, is this gonna take me minute!:oops:

Well, after @jpnilson replied above, maybe someone will stumble on it and find it useful. Your call.

under enp7s0 change dhcp4: true to dhcp4: no
close the file then use the following command
sudo netplan try

If all is well your config will update

You can look at the following article to understand better what you need to do. In general looks like you came close to getting a good configuration

I didn't notice your reply. Thanks! I do appreciate it. But I've went a different route.

Members online