I think I've minced my Home Directory

You will have to be well versed in this and pick apart every partition on your machine and compare the output of "blkid" to the output of the /etc/fstab file. Editing the fstab file IS NOT recommended: unless you know what you are doing.
I don't ever edit the /etc/fstab file. The safest way to fix the problem is to use a Live version of G-parted.

When the boot partition can't be found (even if it is in place) it's misconfigured. When the boot partition along with the configuration file and the vmlinuz-(version- of- kernel)-generic (image of the kernel) is changed <OR> misconfigured the boot loader can't perform it's functionality to boot the kernel.

*The fstab file doesn't have the correct information because you compromised that when you renamed the uuid of the partition that you edited. *

A Few Questions:

• Did you try booting your pc with a Live USB of Linux and try to recover that way?
  • What version of Linux did you install?
*Is Linux and Windows on the same HDD?
I didn't edit the fstab, it became edited.
I am presently using a Live USB session. No option to recover. Boot Repair tries but never works.
I'm using Linux Mint.
Yes, Windows and Linux is on the same HDD.

Yes:-

As you mentioned earlier on, Windows stopped booting.

In order to effectively run Linux alongside a Windows system Windows first has to boot from the Windows boot manager flawlessly. And, Windows has to be installed first.
Also; If the drive that Windows is installed on is the only drive on the machine the partition will have to be resized first before the Linux installation can be initiated.
Windows stopped booting ages ago, before this saga. I think that was because I moved some files between partitions. That's a problem for another day.

My quest now is to either boot Linux so I can access my old files or to recover the files.

Last edited:
I didn't edit the fstab, it became edited.
I am presently using a Live USB session. No option to recover. Boot Repair tries but never works.
I'm using Linux Mint.
Yes, Windows and Linux is on the same HDD.
Is the Live USB Linux session allowing you to copy the files that you want and transfer them to another usb device?

When a partition is deleted or if the partition table is corrupted, the filesystems remain on the disk but their location is unknown and no data can be accessed. TestDisk can search partitions and rewrite the partition table with the partitions selected by the user.

Give Test Disk a spin:

Last edited:
Is the Live USB Linux session allowing you to copy the files that you want and transfer them to another usb device?
Hi Alexzee.
Great to hear from you again.

Yes, I can copy files. At present I am transferring Timeshift files to a USB key.

Hi Alexzee.
Great to hear from you again.

Yes, I can copy files. At present I am transferring Timeshift files to a USB key.
That's great news drummer-:)

When you can drummer go back to your very first post, edit it and mark it Solved.
Enjoy the weekend!

Thanks Alexzee - I'm running through it now. Hoping to find something.

When you can drummer go back to your very first post, edit it and mark it Solved.
Enjoy the weekend!
Wait. The Timeshift files are from 2022; So as of yet, I'm not sure I've recovered the files I am looking for.
This is just an attempt to free up disk space so I can carry out other fixes.

Wait. The Timeshift files are from 2022; So as of yet, I'm not sure I've recovered the files I am looking for.
This is just an attempt to free up disk space so I can carry out other fixes.
Roger that.
-:::-If all else fails give Test Disk a try-::::-

Staff online

Members online