I'm Not Normally a Gamer......However........

Snort McDork

Reaction score
Credits
During the Pandemic, I, like all of us, were cooped up. So in addition to watching every video on You Tube, I would occasionally play a game or 2. What I typically liked (and still do) is Free Cell. Though it is a card game, it tends to be too slow for me, and requires a bit of patience.
The other game I really liked is "Maj Jong". Now I may have an advantage over most of you since I lived in China for 5 years and played the actual Maj Jong game. It is not like this computer version. It is close to a "Poker Game" in which you score by developing 2 of a kind, or 3 of a kind, or a play similar to having a King, Queen, and Jack in your hand. The tiles have meaning that only a native Chinese would know, but are not labeled as King, Queen, or Jack (in simplified Chinese). You draw a tile from the pile after getting your 7-8 tiles at the beginning, then draw 1, and discard it if you can't make a play with your hand. From what I remember, when you get these plays, the object is to get rid of your tiles, and win that particular game/hand, and get points if the other players have tiles they are holding when you go out. If you are a native from China, you can correct me, but that's all I remember. It's played on a table that mixes the tiles, and then serves them up for a new game/hand.

I just downloaded the Maj Jong here from software Mgr. But when I made the change over to Cinnamon, I lost the version of Maj Jong I was accustom to. Therefore, I am not that familiar with the characters I'm just wondering if there is a more "novice" version of Maj Jong for this OS that would be easier than what is on software Mgr? I mean, I could take the time to learn it, but I would rather play it right away, than have to invest time learning the tiles. Any ideas or comments are welcome. Again, if you remember more about the actual game in China, would like to get a clarification on what I just mentioned.

Cheers.

Attachments

• 0.00 00-31 cats on zoom calls Screenshot_2023-04-24_21-23-31.jpg
    0.00 00-31 cats on zoom calls Screenshot_2023-04-24_21-23-31.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 140

i like chinese version like solitare, jap version like poker and i hated it, tried it in yakuza like a dragon, great game btw
on kde discover store there is a really good mahjong game for free as all the apps are,
same in gnome add/remove software store

During the Pandemic, I, like all of us, were cooped up. So in addition to watching every video on You Tube, I would occasionally play a game or 2. What I typically liked (and still do) is Free Cell. Though it is a card game, it tends to be too slow for me, and requires a bit of patience.
The other game I really liked is "Maj Jong". Now I may have an advantage over most of you since I lived in China for 5 years and played the actual Maj Jong game. It is not like this computer version. It is close to a "Poker Game" in which you score by developing 2 of a kind, or 3 of a kind, or a play similar to having a King, Queen, and Jack in your hand. The tiles have meaning that only a native Chinese would know, but are not labeled as King, Queen, or Jack (in simplified Chinese). You draw a tile from the pile after getting your 7-8 tiles at the beginning, then draw 1, and discard it if you can't make a play with your hand. From what I remember, when you get these plays, the object is to get rid of your tiles, and win that particular game/hand, and get points if the other players have tiles they are holding when you go out. If you are a native from China, you can correct me, but that's all I remember. It's played on a table that mixes the tiles, and then serves them up for a new game/hand.

I just downloaded the Maj Jong here from software Mgr. But when I made the change over to Cinnamon, I lost the version of Maj Jong I was accustom to. Therefore, I am not that familiar with the characters I'm just wondering if there is a more "novice" version of Maj Jong for this OS that would be easier than what is on software Mgr? I mean, I could take the time to learn it, but I would rather play it right away, than have to invest time learning the tiles. Any ideas or comments are welcome. Again, if you remember more about the actual game in China, would like to get a clarification on what I just mentioned.

I recently delved into World of Warcraft and decided to tackle the challenge of Fyrakk, the Blazing with the help of a boost. It was an exhilarating experience! Fyrakk the Blazing Kill boost not only gave me a significant power boost but also allowed me to join a well-coordinated group of adventurers. Communication and teamwork were key as we executed our strategy flawlessly. The boss's fire damage was daunting, but with fire resistance gear and potions, we managed to endure the fiery onslaught. Learning the boss's mechanics and attack patterns was essential for our success. Overall, using the Fyrakk the Blazing Kill boost was a fantastic way to conquer this formidable foe and enjoy the epic adventures of World of Warcraft!
Cheer
Great! I used to play wow from recent times

Last edited:
@Snort McDork
did you ever get your Mah jong sorted ? Linux has 3 different versions that i know of..

Gnome Mah jong

Kmahjongg [additional tile packs available for this version]

and Mah Jong

No I have not. Been busy with health stuff and keeping an eye on my kitty who also had a health issue. Just basically consumed with life stuff and not much time for things I like. Although did watch football game Saturday of the college variety. I'm even behind on checking emails.

First thing to do after a new installation is to … remove all the games.

@ML_113 if you like zero bloat you can try manjaro or garuda kde or gnome lite, if you want to spend all day removing bloat try the garuda dragonized gamer lmao, only has like 1k extra packages so it constantly updates several times a day, no biggie :)

Garuda has nothing to do with Manjaro. It is not the same distro, even though the GRUB menu for both is suspiciously the same... although not eg. on Manjaro MATE which is not "official". From that one I get something that looks as drab as Ubuntu. :/

I rather liked Garuda MATE but dislike the file system they insist terminally on.

Garuda and Manjaro have the same base (Arch Linux) but they are not the same distro.

Back on topic: I don't play games on Linux, because the one I want to play would lock me into Windows if only I had enough disk space to hold all its baggage. Generally I accepted "2048" and "Same Game". The KDE games are generally well done and professional-looking. The GNOME ones are OK, but I don't like their implementation of "Robotwar". It gets too hard too quickly. I don't remember which Linux OS I ran it one day, but it crashed which was not nice.

I was supposed to put down "Quadrapasel" too but I'm still recovering from serious Tetris addiction way back in the day, and I didn't like "Double Blocks" and other "smart-aleck" implementations. LOL.

Thank you. It has some history behind it. So I want to keep it in the history books if possible.

Members online