Init system

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

compis2

I have found that Mx-linux uses a Sysvinit by default but also uses System D with the system only running or booting up with Sysvinit. what would be the reason for a linux system to run 2 different init systems?

G'day @compis2 and welcome to linux.org :)

what would be the reason for a linux system to run 2 different init systems?

You'd have to ask MX Linux that, or search under eg

mx linux systemd vs sysvinit

or similar

with the system only running or booting up with Sysvinit.

If you have a Grub Menu and it features an option

Advanced Options

you can click that and find an entry for systemd booting

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

BTW moving this to Debian and derivatives as not a security question.

I have found that Mx-linux uses a Sysvinit by default but also uses System D with the system only running or booting up with Sysvinit. what would be the reason for a linux system to run 2 different init systems?

It's been a few years for most of the mainstream distro's now. But there was a time when almost all distro's did this.
Mostly for backwards compatibility, but also because everything wasn't ported over to systemd yet.

From what I read and understand Systemd is supposed to be a better way of controlling how everything works in Linux.

I've used both Systemd and Sysvinit and TBH really didn't notice any difference as both systems performed excellent.

When Systemd was released OMG the old hard core Linux users pitched a fit and now rarely hear a complaint about Systemd.

I don't like change although change is inevitable and I'm not afraid to try new things or new ways.

MX provides choice, the user can go either way. It's non-discriminatory :)

A few months ago I just chose MX Linux with "Bullseye" base with Fluxbox. I can't be worried whether or not it has "systemd". It looks like it doesn't. So this is sort of a weird comment by the topic starter.

What I know is that I have other Linux OS's based on Debian which all have "systemd" and some of them boot faster than a few of them I have seen with a different startup system. Especially "runit". Void Linux made me hate "runit". I don't know, I then saw it on Devuan and see the messages crawling around on the screen was something I wasn't going for. I have to deal with Slackware and Slackel booting rather slowly, so I don't care if the old "sysvinit" is really better.

(I read somewhere about "haveged" capability being included in Linux kernel v6, or something like that. I have noticed Slackware still set up to start "haveged" which is beginning to annoy me. Is this being done for real, or is this another message to tease?)

Many months ago I was checking out Redcore, which is based on Gentoo. Kept getting "Clock skew detected!" which easily irritated me out of "OpenRC" init system. It was understandable why it was available from the installer for Devuan "Chimaera" but that installer was recommending me to go for "runit" instead.

I'm bothered by the messages from "systemd" for Debian "Bookworm" base being "longer", a mix of the older "green" messages and those offered by Ubuntu with the "dot-services". I liked the simpler times with those messages. One thing that often produces hate with "systemd" is when it goes into one of its "jobs" and holds for several minutes. However, this once taught me a lesson that I should really really and finally find an internal SSD to install Linux into, rather than trying to use any junk external drive that is too slow to hold an entire operating system. This actually happened to me with EndeavourOS GNOME before the D.E. v44 upgrade during the spring. :)

See their wiki article about this:

Yes, I read that before I posted. I left it out at that time, to see what the OP came back with.

The codicil to the (2017) Wiki article is

The only disadvantage to a systemd-only setup is that the MX live system doesn’t work 100% with it (snapshot and the live usb persistence features).

... which some consider useful. I do not know if that has changed since the article was posted, as I use MX OOTB.

One thing that often produces hate with "systemd" is when it goes into one of its "jobs" and holds for several minutes

Off Topic, perhaps, but you can change that by modifying two (2) lines in /etc/systemd/system.conf under [Manager] and un-commenting them.

Code:
#DefaultTimeoutStartSec=90s
#DefaultTimeoutStopSec=90s

I usually change mine to

Code:
DefaultTimeoutStartSec=20s
DefaultTimeoutStopSec=20s

The changes apply to startup and to shutdown, and can be used across virtually all Linux distros.

Wizard

I do not know if that has changed since the article was posted, as I use MX OOTB.

They have a pretty active community. While making assumptions is a bad idea, if it has changed in the past six years they might have thought to update the wiki page.

G'day @compis2 and welcome to linux.org :)

You'd have to ask MX Linux that, or search under eg

mx linux systemd vs sysvinit

or similar

If you have a Grub Menu and it features an option

Advanced Options

you can click that and find an entry for systemd booting

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

BTW moving this to Debian and derivatives as not a security question.
Why does mx linux have an option for systemD if there default Init system is not system D ? Is there any other distro that allows booting to another Init system ?

It's been a few years for most of the mainstream distro's now. But there was a time when almost all distro's did this.
Mostly for backwards compatibility, but also because everything wasn't ported over to systemd yet.
Please give an example of a distro that gives the option to boot from one Init system to another. I have never seen any distros that do this.

See their wiki article about this:

The point is mx-linux default is sysvinit but still actively support systemd on a running sysvinit system. But more importantly why would you have another init system like system D unless your default sysvinit cannot do the job.

The point is mx-linux default is sysvinit but still actively support systemd on a running sysvinit system. But more importantly why would you have another init system like system D unless your default sysvinit cannot do the job.
Because systemd is much more than just an init system: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systemd
It is not just the name of the init daemon but also refers to the entire software bundle around it, which, in addition to the systemd init daemon, includes the daemons journald, logind and networkd, and many other low-level components. In January 2013, Poettering described systemd not as one program, but rather a large software suite that includes 69 individual binaries.

@compis2 - I note that you have questions still open on this subject at both Bleeping Computer and LinuxQuestions.org

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/789526/mx-linux-non-systemd/?hl=+sysvinit#entry5582530

and

https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?p=6465070#post6465070

At both of those venues, you have resisted accepting advice or answers freely given by their volunteer Members.

Do you think that you will get any further with starting such a thread here?

At LinuxQuestions, you also stated

I asked this question on the mxlinux forum and they removed it

If they cannot answer it, we cannot answer it.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Please give an example of a distro that gives the option to boot from one Init system to another. I have never seen any distros that do this.

You don't boot into one mode or another. It's just the process manager that the system uses.
I use Fedora 39, which has had systemd for several years, but it still has support for init.d
and rcinit run levels.

Because systemd is much more than just an init system: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systemd

Exactly. I guess my question is... why wouldn't you want to use it? ( I'm not asking osprey, that's a rhetorical question to the
opposers ).

"Because 'systemd' is much more than an 'init' system."

Maybe the fear or hatred is such to an extent where somebody tries a Linux OS that clearly indicates it doesn't carry "systemd" but then he/she is fooled into believing "systemd" is being involved somewhere.

Look, MX Linux is quite popular. Obviously this is well known: it ranks first on Distrowatch for "HPD" (distro page hits per day), if that makes any sense. The distro gets reviews regularly on that site on its page -- most of them are favorable. Do you think it would be this way if it carried "systemd" or if it made any attempt to use it?

But the distro in second place, which is Linux Mint, does employ the startup system that has produced a lot of written resentment in a lot of places that talk about Linux, which I have never understood. Yes it is a hog controlled by "big interests" but there's no helping it and they are trying to give us a quality product. I used to resent the popularity of MX Linux but no longer. It's quite good and otherwise, I prefer a Linux OS that boots a bit faster with "systemd" and all. :)

@compis2 - I note that you have questions still open on this subject at both Bleeping Computer and LinuxQuestions.org

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/789526/mx-linux-non-systemd/?hl=+sysvinit#entry5582530

and

https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?p=6465070#post6465070

At both of those venues, you have resisted accepting advice or answers freely given by their volunteer Members.

Do you think that you will get any further with starting such a thread here?

At LinuxQuestions, you also stated

Chris Turner

Where is the answer ??? You seem to want to spend time examining who placed the question. Why don't you tell us how you went about searching other posts ?

If there is an answer for this possible security issue I would love to hear it. A proper answer would give a proof on how a file directory size can be changed, so everyone can accept the answer. Not someone like you saying its right because I had time to search other forums and report nothing.

You don't boot into one mode or another. It's just the process manager that the system uses.
I use Fedora 39, which has had systemd for several years, but it still has support for init.d
and rcinit run levels.

Exactly. I guess my question is... why wouldn't you want to use it? ( I'm not asking osprey, that's a rhetorical question to the
opposers ).
Mx-linux does allow you to boot into another system init. When you start mxlinux it starts with sysvinit but you can boot into Grub and start using System D. I have not seen any other distribution do this, and that is what I was asking an example.

Please give an example of a distro that gives the option to boot from one Init system to another.

There are somewhere around 400 to 500 Linux distros available, with more in the wild.

You may invest as much time as you like searching for another like MX Linux, but we do not have the time nor the resources.

I run over 80 Linux, but MX is the only example I have that provides the option of either.

As I said above, of the MX Linux forum

I suggest you dial back on the attitude, too.

Wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online