IT-guys, is ThinkPad P15V good enough?

HumbleFinch

Reaction score
Credits
Hi! Recently ordered ThinkPad P15V, it's still shipping to me. It has Intel Core i7-12700H with integrated graphics, 16 GB RAM (up to 64 GB), 512 GB SSD. Screen is 15,6 inches. I suppose that laptop is Gen 3. So, I work as SysAdmin/DevOps. I probably will plug one more monitor. Would this setup be good enough? Does anyone here has the same device? I will install Debian or Ubuntu on the laptop.

I also would like to play Minecraft or Terraria on my new laptop.

I could face with issues while gaming only? Which ones could be?
When you get your laptop get GPU specs, see how much memory it has, what type of memory it is etc.
Then you can compare it to specific game requirements to see if it's OK.

Hi, integrated GPU is never good enough for gaming.
Uhh.....yah, but, er......well; Minecraft doesn't exactly have overwhelming "requirements", does it? I would have thought the integrated GPU on a fairly new Intel chip like the OP's would be perfectly adequate for that....

(shrug...)

Mike. o_O

Yes but nobody plays one and same game all the time.
The last game I played was Asteroids, and have never had any inclination to play any since, I saw what was happening with my “crowd” when most became addicted to games, and didn't fancy being one of them,

The last game I played was Asteroids, and have never had any inclination to play any since, I saw what was happening with my “crowd” when most became addicted to games, and didn't fancy being one of them,
I totally understand you, I used to waste many nights behind keyboard but now can't play games at all, it's just boring.

Modern games are too much cartoonish for my taste, old fashioned strategies are are sadly gone long time ago.
I'm afraid we're too old to play games lol :)

Frankly, most all games that I do bother with are indie titles anyway, and aren't particularly large OR demanding. I nearly choked on my cornflakes earlier today when I was reading summat on HotHardware, to the effect that some 'AAA' titles are now in the region of a 250-300GB download!

Whaaaaat??!?

Christ, you'd want an entire dedicated drive per individual game, at that rate..... Unreal. (Most of my tiny stable of games are all AppImages, which I've turned into 'portables'; the largest of these is that long-established Linux-native FPS, good old 'Xonotic'.......which was around 900 some-odd MB. And I thought THAT was large!) Others include RedEclipse, AssaultCube, Castle Wolfenstein and UrbanTerror. I also have a Windows build of HalfLife2 which I sometimes mess around with under WINE.....along with GZDoom, though that doesn't see much use, I'll be honest!

Between 'em, they occupy a tiny corner of my big - 3 TB -secondary data drive....

Mike. o_O

Last edited:
@MikeWalsh
Some year ago I bought Nvidia GTX 1650, it has 4GB GDDR5 VRAM.

It's solid for most games I have in my inventory but this are mostly older games, any newer game if I'm going to download it demands a better GPU, judging by "recommended requirements" from steam.

Take for example one of my favorite games, Distant Worlds 2 released in 2022:

It asks for min. 4GB VRAM, 16 GB RAM and 8 cores CPU @3 GHz

I have CPU @3.6Ghz 4 cores, 4GB VRAM and 16GB RAM, yet I'm only able to play smaller maps in that game, large maps require double amount of resources than what I have so this game is not playable for me even though I almost meet the recommended (not minimum) requirements.

I don't think any integrated GPU is better than mine, so I can't suggest or agree with to go with integrated GPU's.
A lot of laptops nowdays come with discrete GPU's and aren't much more expensive than those with integrated GPU's, this would my first condition if buying a laptop in addition to SSD.

Members online