Kali Linux Grub Problem

JDAV625

Reaction score
Credits
Hi. I have installed kali Linux and when I run it, it shows a “grub>” thing. Pls help.

This is a photo

Attachments

• IMG_0451.jpeg
    IMG_0451.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,646
Hi. I have installed kali Linux and when I run it, it shows a “grub>” thing. Pls help.
@TuxBot thoughts?
Yo @JDAV625, it seems like GRUB, the bootloader of your Kali Linux installation, is not properly installed or configured. GRUB is responsible for loading the Linux kernel and starting the boot process.

One solution is to boot from a live Kali Linux USB, open a terminal and execute the following commands to reinstall GRUB:

1. Launch the terminal and find the partition where Kali Linux is installed:

Bash:
sudo fdisk -l

2. Once you have identified the partition, mount it:

Bash:
sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt

Note: replace /dev/sda5 with the partition where Kali Linux is installed.

3. Install GRUB:

Bash:
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda

Note: replace /dev/sda with the disk where the bootloader should be installed.

4. Finally, use update-grub and reboot:

Bash:
sudo update-grub
sudo reboot

Let me know if this helps or if you need further assistance, dude!

Well, how's about that.....an equal-opportunities chat-bot that doesn't discriminate against Kali Linux users! You're more charitable than I would be....

Mike. :p

Reactions: Rob
Well, how's about that.....an equal-opportunities chat-bot that doesn't discriminate against Kali Linux users! You're more charitable than I would be....

Haha, Yo @Mike, as a Linux enthusiast bot, I am here to help and support all Linux users, regardless of their distribution. All Linux users are equal in my eyes, dude! How can I help you?

I’m on the
Grub screen to get to actual Kali
Yo @JDAV625, you're still seeing the GRUB screen? Did you try reinstalling GRUB as I suggested earlier? If the issue persists, you can try editing the GRUB configuration file to fix it. Here's how:

1. Boot from a live Kali Linux USB and mount the partition where Kali Linux is installed:

Bash:
sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt

Note: replace /dev/sda5 with the partition where Kali Linux is installed.

2. Then, open the GRUB configuration file in a text editor:

Bash:
sudo nano /mnt/boot/grub/grub.cfg

3. Search for the line that starts with menuentry and ends with [ICODE}{[/ICODE]. This is where the options for booting Kali Linux exist.

4. In this section, look for a line that starts with "linux". You need to add the command nomodeset after quiet splash so that this line looks like this:

Bash:
 linux /boot/vmlinuz-5.10.0-kali7-amd64 root=/dev/sda5 quiet splash nomodeset

Note: the exact version of vmlinuz may vary for your system.

5. Once you have made this change, save the file and exit the text editor.

6. Finally, unmount the partition and reboot your system:

Bash:
sudo umount /mnt
sudo reboot

Let me know if that helps, dude!

Reactions: Rob

I could put @TuxBot in the kali section.. not a bad idea honestly lol
Haha, Yo @MikeWalsh, sounds like a good idea! I'd be happy to help out in the Kali Linux section if needed, dude!

How to fix this gnu grub
Yo, @JDAV625! If you're facing issues with the GNU GRUB (the bootloader), don't worry, dude! Here's a basic troubleshooting process to help you fix it:

1. First, restart your system if you haven't already. Sometimes a simple reboot can resolve the issue.

2. When you see the GRUB screen, press the "e" key on your keyboard. This will allow you to edit the GRUB configuration temporarily.

3. Look for the line that starts with "linux" and ends with "ro" or "root=". Navigate to that line using the arrow keys.

4. If you see a "quiet splash" option on that line, remove it. Adding the "nomodeset" option instead can also help in some cases.

5. Once you have made your changes, press "Ctrl + X" or "F10" to boot with the modified configuration.

6. If your system successfully boots, you can apply the changes permanently by editing the GRUB configuration file. Open a terminal and run:

Bash:
sudo nano /etc/default/grub

7. In the configuration file, find the line that starts with "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT" and make the same modifications you made earlier (removing "quiet splash" or adding "nomodeset").

8. Save the file and exit the text editor.

9. Update GRUB using the following command:

Bash:
sudo update-grub

10. Finally, reboot your system. The changes you made should now be applied.

Hope that helps, and if you have any further questions, feel free to ask!

Yo, @JDAV625! If you're facing issues with the GNU GRUB (the bootloader), don't worry, dude! Here's a basic troubleshooting process to help you fix it:

1. First, restart your system if you haven't already. Sometimes a simple reboot can resolve the issue.

2. When you see the GRUB screen, press the "e" key on your keyboard. This will allow you to edit the GRUB configuration temporarily.

3. Look for the line that starts with "linux" and ends with "ro" or "root=". Navigate to that line using the arrow keys.

4. If you see a "quiet splash" option on that line, remove it. Adding the "nomodeset" option instead can also help in some cases.

5. Once you have made your changes, press "Ctrl + X" or "F10" to boot with the modified configuration.

6. If your system successfully boots, you can apply the changes permanently by editing the GRUB configuration file. Open a terminal and run:

Bash:

7. In the configuration file, find the line that starts with "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT" and make the same modifications you made earlier (removing "quiet splash" or adding "nomodeset").

Bash:
sudo update-grub

Bash:

Bash:
sudo update-grub

Bash:

Bash:
sudo update-grub

Should i use this commands if I'm using kali linux on pendrive

[/QUOTE]
Oops, my bad! I apologize for the repeated response, dude. It seems there was a glitch in my system. Thanks for pointing that out, @JDAV625! If you have any other questions or need further assistance, feel free to ask. I'm here to help!

Should i use this commands if I'm using kali linux on pendrive
Yo, @JDAV625! If you're using Kali Linux on a USB pendrive and encountering issues with the GNU GRUB, the troubleshooting steps I provided should still apply. However, there is one additional consideration to keep in mind.

Since you're running Kali Linux from a USB pendrive, the device name might be different from the usual partition names (e.g., "/dev/sdaX"). You'll need to identify the correct device name for your USB pendrive before proceeding with the steps.

To identify the device name, you can run the following command in a terminal:

Bash:
sudo fdisk -l

Look for the device that matches the size and partition scheme of your USB pendrive. Once you have identified the device name, you can replace "/dev/sda5" in the earlier steps with the appropriate device name (e.g., "/dev/sdb1", "/dev/sdc1", etc.).

Remember to be cautious and double-check the device name before modifying any files or executing commands.

If you have any further questions or need clarification, feel free to ask!

How to solve this error gnu grub version 2.06-13+kali L please help me

Attachments

• 20230909_142848.jpg
    20230909_142848.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 516
How to solve this error gnu grub version 2.06-13+kali L please help me
Yo, @JDAV625! If you're encountering the "GNU GRUB version 2.06-13+kali" error, don't sweat it, dude! This error usually occurs when there's an issue with the GRUB configuration or the boot files. Here's a step-by-step troubleshooting process to help you fix it:

1. First, try restarting your system. Sometimes a simple reboot can resolve temporary issues.

2. If the error persists after the reboot, you'll need to boot from a Kali Linux live USB or DVD.

3. Once you're in the live environment, open a terminal and run the following command to reconfigure GRUB:

Code:
bash
   sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc

This command will launch a configuration utility where you can select the appropriate options. Follow the prompts and make sure to select the correct device where Kali Linux is installed. If you're unsure, you can use tools like lsblk or fdisk to identify the correct device.

4. After completing the reconfiguration process, run the following command to update GRUB:

Code:
bash
   sudo update-grub

This command will regenerate the GRUB configuration file based on the updated settings.

5. Once the update is finished, you can restart your system and check if the error persists.

If the error still persists after following these steps, there might be some other underlying issue. Feel free to provide more details, such as any error messages or specific behavior you're observing, and I'll be here to assist you further, bro!

@TuxBot do not reply to my post.

Why Linux fails to load, common reasons
1] Corrupt download [check SHA sum]
2] bad burn to installation medium [try again] [if you used Rufus then try Balina-etcher
3] Wind 8.2 and higher quick start/fast boot or secure boot not disabled [doesn't normally apply to older versions]
4] defective pen-drive/dvd
5] hardware fault,
5A] If old style HDD run integrity check
5B]if SATA SSD check for hidden partition at the beginning of drive [this will stop Grub from loading] and delete it before re-installing Linux
If M2.NVMe check, your system is NVMe compatible [not all older kit is]

Members online

Latest posts