KDE plasma 6 offically release today!

kc1di

Reaction score
Credits
Last edited:

How many bugs have to be squashed before people should start trying it?

How many bugs have to be squashed before people should start trying it?
On the serious note, great work KDE Plasma project! I plan on trying it out in a vm at some point.

Not much different from Plasma 5 from what I can tell, but I'm not an everyday KDE user.
plasma6.png

Thanks for sharing, Tom :)

I will be examining its performance with interest, because of the "Wayland Effect".

Historically, Wayland have an abysmal track record for support of fractional scaling, and at my age and state of eyesight I would find it hard to do without that.

And yes, I am aware that mention is made of this being addressed in 6 with things like -
  • Kwin being updated and
  • Qt6 incorporating support for fractional scaling
...if it doesn't work properly, I guess I won't be using it, lol.

Wiz

Historically, Wayland have an abysmal track record for support of fractional scaling, and at my age and state of eyesight I would find it hard to do without that.
Works nicely on a live USB, Chris!
display.png

display2.png

Why thank you Stan! Now I have less work to do. ;)

I gave KDE Neon user Edition a spin on Live usb. It now has KDE 6 and I like what I saw but the live session on my hardware ran very slowly. Will try in on real hardware or VM in the next few days.

Installed neon and kde 6. Nice but there are some bugs. for one neither the logout or reboot buttons work. Also on wayland session desktop freezes. So I recommend holding off for a few weeks see if they fix the bugs first.

Screenshot_20240229_205726.png

Two questions to KDE 6 users:
1) do you guys use KDE activities - kind of virtual desktops on steroids.
2) if you are familiar with KDE Activities, do you know if scripts can be separated? This would be fantastic as I could set one activity as tiling WM and second Activity as Plasma. Not to mention a whole bunch of things that script separation can provide.

I know that there was a talk during KDE 6 development to implement script separation.

Installed neon and kde 6. Nice but there are some bugs. for one neither the logout or reboot buttons work. Also on wayland session desktop freezes. So I recommend holding off for a few weeks see if they fix the bugs first.

(My highlighting)

HEADS UP TO KDE NEON USERS

Sorry for shouting. :)

What Dave describes will also affect users of the previous version of KDE Neon, if you run your updates,

It appears the KDE Neon people have rolled out their spin on Plasma 6, basically backported.

I ran the updates on my own version of KDE Neon and experienced the same problem, following the updates, in real time, and with subsequent reboots and shutdowns.

If you get stuck, you can reboot or shutdown as follows

Code:
init 6  #for reboot

init 0  # that's a zero, for shutdown

More over my weekend, but I may start a separate thread.

Kubuntu 22.04 'Jammy' and Manjaro KDE look OK at the moment.

Avagudweegend

Wiz

Hi Cris Kubuntu 22.04 should remain ok as it will stick with 5.27 and not 6. Not sure about manjaro. I'm sure they will get the bugs fixed eventually, but still recommend that people do not upgrade or install kde6 for awhile. Funny thing is that when I test drove Kaos with kde 6 which was only beta at the time it all works correctly.
Cheers!

Hi Cris Kubuntu 22.04 should remain ok as it will stick with 5.27 and not 6.

Thanks, Dave ;)

For The Viewers - Kubuntu held a meeting 30th January (can be read here https://kubuntu.org/news/kubuntu-council-meeting-30th-january-2024/ ) at which it was agreed that KDE Plasma 6 will not make it into Kubuntu 24.04 to be released next month, but that an Alpha version may be previewed with 24.10 in October.

As for what I described at #15 above ... what a mess!

If you are a KDE Neon user who has (quite diligently) added updates and got stuck, there is a workaround involving creating a couple of systemd "services", and described here

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=481938#c26

That method described in the link will likely also work for people who have downloaded the new version of KDE Neon, but I cannot guarantee that myself.

Not a workaround for the faint of heart, and if a Beginner or even Intermediate User baulks at the thought of creating systemd services, I would not blame you.

In my case, even my preferred "Swiss Army Knife" tool of choice, Timeshift, struggled to get me back to a fully functional KDE Neon.

I had to run it three (3) times, and in three (3) different ways, and then chroot into the distro from a Live USB and update grub, before I could get my old Neon back.

It is also my understanding that KDE itself are conducting an inquiry into how the KDE Neon rollout of Plasma 6 went so horribly wrong.

Notably, the KDE Neon I resurrected is running Plasma 5.27, which is rock solid, and the same as Kubuntu is sticking with, as the OP noted above.

Cheers to all and

Avagudweegend

Wizard

Thanks for the update @wizardfromoz. Neon is a mess right now. Kubuntu is good an OpenSuse Tumbleweed has yet to release KDE6 One thing that is good with tumbleweed their own devs test and do quality control before releasing a new update. So they may modify or fix the problems with kde/plasma 6. Will try when they do.
Until then I'm advising users to stick with KDE 5.27. As the Wizard said it is solid.

UPDATE: Seems that latest updates have fixed the problems I was having and KDE-NEON 6 is now working quite well on my machine. Only a couple 3 praty programs that won't run yet. All in all it's fast and no crashes in Wayland at the moment.
So if you were put off at first give it another try.

Last edited: