KDE+Wayland TTY config/bugs

PunchFox

Reaction score
Credits
Hardware: Framework 16 (AMD Ryzen)
DE: KDE+Wayland

When I boot up into my computer, the KDE login window starts on TTY2, even though I believe I configured it for TTY7. After logging in fully, the DE switches to TTY7, as desired, but leaves a non-interactable "ghost" of the login screen on TTY2. The mouse shows and can be moved around, but the screen otherwise seems to be a static image, and none of the login screen elements actually function. The password field shows the dots as if it were filled in, so I guess this is just the last frame of the login screen before logging in and swapping into the DE. If I log out and back in at this point, then TTY2 gets freed for use, but now there is a login "ghost" on TTY8 instead.

If I switch to TTY7 before logging in, then it appears to be in a "reserved" state or something, just a blinking cursor, but no shell prompt and can't type.

When I use the X11 option for KDE, I do not get this behavior: It starts on TTY2, and stays there even after login. I guess because I configured Wayland for TTY7, but not X11? I'm pretty new to having to worry about this sort of stuff, so apologies if I'm mussing my explanation up.

My ideal outcome here is: KDE+Wayland starts on the TTY of my choice (atm TTY7), and stays there regardless of whether in user-login mode, or signed-in DE. No swapping around, no ghost login screens. no dead/reserved TTYs doing nothing

Thanks for any insight or help.

Members online