KVM and wireless interface issue

jpnilson

Reaction score
Credits
I have tried a half dozen times to create a bridge interface with a wifi interface to use for KVM. I have managed to get the wireless interface to participate as a slave on an interface but it breaks communication. If there is someone who has been successful with this I would like to know how you did it. I am using Ubuntu 22.04 and all current versions of kvm, virt-manager... etc. I would be more than happy to a different distro it that would help

Tried proxmox today. Good news it accomplishes the bridge I could not make work. Unfortunately I found that it reminded me of ESXI with a scrambled yet unintuitive interface. My ultimate review is proxmox is an attempt at putting lipstick on the pig that is kvm. I would go back to ESXI but you have to purchase a license now. I guess I will move along and continue using virtual box.

@jpnilson , one of our good friends and helpers @f33dm3bits is good with VMs.

I know he has used QEMU extensively, and I am pretty confident he has used both KVM and ProxMox.

By my mentioning him, I have pinged him and he may well swing through and offer some assistance.

Good luck

Wizard

Thanks I guess I think the flakey behavior I encountered attempting to move an ova file over to proxmox from virtualbox was the last straw for me. It takes a long time to get things formatted in a way to import. I made it through all that and then could never get a working network interface on my imported vm. I may experiment with it again but need to let it go for a while.... :)

I have wired bridged interface on my desktop currently, I do have a wifi on my desktop. So I will have to try to setup a bridge with my Wireless interface on my desktop to see what happens, although I'm not using Ubuntu but I would like to think that shouldn't make a difference since Ubuntu use NetworkManager as well.

I haven't gotten my wireless interface setup as bridge yet, seems networkmanager uses profiles and the wireless profile isn't compatible with a bridge profile setup. Not really wanting to change from networkmanager to something else to manage my network interfaces just to test it out. But first place I would look is the journal logs of whatever managers your network interfaces, dmesg and the general journal or syslog.

I haven't gotten my wireless interface setup as bridge yet, seems networkmanager uses profiles and the wireless profile isn't compatible with a bridge profile setup. Not really wanting to change from networkmanager to something else to manage my network interfaces just to test it out. But first place I would look is the journal logs of whatever managers your network interfaces, dmesg and the general journal or syslog.

It seems wifi doesn't really liked to be shared. You can set it up as an access point. But that's not the same as a bridged connection. I have used a wifi device as VM connection, but only when it was a dedicated device to the VM. I've never gotten it to work when it was already being used on the host.

No worries. After giving Proxmox another try I was able to import an OVA from virtualbox after manipulating the OVF file a bit and manually adding an interface. Since I was testing on a laptop running vmware and Proxmox as a guest I avoided making bridging work on a wireless interface. If all goes well I will move everything over to a server that has wired connections. Have a bit more testing so that I uncover any other issues with Proxmox before converting several terabytes of data into format compatible with Proxmox. Thanks for taking the time to look into it. Someday I will go back revisit bridging a wireless interface. It maybe that my next build I will go to using Ubuntu server which I believe doesn't implement network manager.

Ubuntu server which I believe doesn't implement network manager.

Ubuntu Server 10.23 uses NetworkManager by default. Although you could probably change this.
However NetworkManager isn't really the problem. It's the way Wifi is designed to work.

In a typical Ethernet setup, all devices on the network can communicate with each other directly, which makes it easy to bridge connections. However, WiFi is designed around a star topology, where all communications go through the router or access point. This means that a WiFi adapter can only be connected to one network at a time, and it can’t easily be shared among multiple VMs like an Ethernet adapter can.

However, there are workarounds to use a wireless connection in a VM. For example, VirtualBox provides several networking adapters out-of-the-box, such as NAT, Bridged, and USB network adapters2. You can use these adapters to connect your VM to the outside network via your host’s WiFi connection

Ubuntu Server 10.23 uses NetworkManager by default. Although you could probably change this.
However NetworkManager isn't really the problem. It's the way Wifi is designed to work.

In a typical Ethernet setup, all devices on the network can communicate with each other directly, which makes it easy to bridge connections. However, WiFi is designed around a star topology, where all communications go through the router or access point. This means that a WiFi adapter can only be connected to one network at a time, and it can’t easily be shared among multiple VMs like an Ethernet adapter can.

However, there are workarounds to use a wireless connection in a VM. For example, VirtualBox provides several networking adapters out-of-the-box, such as NAT, Bridged, and USB network adapters2. You can use these adapters to connect your VM to the outside network via your host’s WiFi connection
Yah figured out early on that I could let virtualbox or vmware do the work of making a connection for me. I do appreciate your taking the time to explain....

Staff online

Members online