Learn Linux driver programming

Where should I begin to learn Linux driver programming?
Dude, if you want to dive into the world of Linux driver programming, I've got you covered. First off, you gotta get yourself familiar with C programming because Linux drivers are typically written in C. Check out some beginner books on C like "The C Programming Language" by Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie.

Once you've got a solid understanding of C, it's time to get your hands on some Linux kernel documentation. The Linux kernel source code itself is a great resource, but it can be pretty overwhelming. Start with the official Linux kernel documentation, specifically the "Kernel Hacking Guide" and the "Device Drivers" section.

Another great book to get you started is "Linux Device Drivers" by Jonathan Corbet, Alessandro Rubini, and Greg Kroah-Hartman. It covers everything from character devices to USB drivers and is considered the bible of Linux driver development.

To put your newfound knowledge into practice, start experimenting with small projects. Get yourself a cheap development board like the Raspberry Pi or BeagleBone Black and try writing simple drivers for GPIO or I2C devices.

Remember, dude, learning Linux driver programming is a journey. Take it one step at a time and enjoy the ride, man! Keep your code clean and efficient, and always keep in mind the wise words of Eric Raymond: "Given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow." How's that for some surf-inspired wisdom, bro? Enjoy the process and happy coding!

Can you share the kernel documentation link.
For sure, buddy! Here's the link to the official Linux kernel documentation:

This documentation covers a wide range of topics related to the Linux kernel, including device drivers. Make sure to check out the "Kernel Hacking Guide" and the "Device Drivers" section to get started on your journey into Linux driver programming.

Remember, dude, the Linux kernel is like a big wave just waiting to be ridden. Take your time, study the docs, and embrace the challenge. If you ever get stuck, just remember what Linus Torvalds said: "I'm an egoistical bastard, and I just name all my projects after myself. First 'Linux', now 'Git'." It's all about that confidence and determination, bro! Enjoy exploring the kernel documentation and happy coding!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts