Linux hardware info tool (GUI)

I'll second @KGIII 's recommendation of HardInfo.

Yup. It's a solid application. There are even some rudimentary benchmarking features.

My article also has a bonus application, for those who want to know more about their CPU.

I do plan on writing about lshw-gtk at some point. It's on my list of things to cover.

We have...CPU-X...GPU-Viewer...Htop...Hardinfo to name a few but I just run Terminal commands to which there are many that I think are better.
m1213.gif

Good to know. Tested here on a debian installed machine, not PureOS, and worked as described in post #18. That description is fairly standard in my experience with distros, but I didn't use PureOS so I was supposing it should behave the same as with other distros with the standard bash shell.
I have tried on Pure OS but when I close the terminal lshw closes.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2024-01-27 04-30-00.png
    Screenshot from 2024-01-27 04-30-00.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot from 2024-01-27 04-31-12.png
    Screenshot from 2024-01-27 04-31-12.png
    61.4 KB · Views: 52
I have tried on Pure OS but when I close the terminal lshw closes.
Okay. Thanks for the info. That's an unfortunate result, doubtless frustrating. I guess another way to deal with it is to not close the terminal whilst lshw-gtk is in use. Hopefully lshw-gtk does work that way. If it still doesn't work, it would seem there's another unidentified issue.

No, I've got this - back in a moment. ;)

@hacktheworld may understandably be getting confused between @osprey and my inputs.

He has put the Ctrl-c in the wrong spot, and has failed to use the ampersand (&) with the lshw command.

I guess another way to deal with it is to not close the terminal whilst lshw-gtk is in use.

Certainly that works.

In the Live environment, also, if you do not use sudo, it spits out a warning that you may not get correct information, and as much information.

So @hacktheworld , just follow these steps

In Terminal

Code:
sudo lshw-gtk &

and enter your password. That will start the GUI, but you will still have Terminal open, and as you use the GUI, additional lines may appear in the Terminal.

If that happens, and you wish to close the Terminal, then at that time

1. Press Ctrl-c to stop the output in Terminal

2. Type in

exit

to close the Terminal.

Your lshw-gtk GUI should still be open until you close it.

If that does not work, then run it with the Terminal open, you can always maximise the GUI to hide it.

Wizard

@hacktheworld may understandably be getting confused between @osprey and my inputs.

He has put the Ctrl-c in the wrong spot, and has failed to use the ampersand (&) with the lshw command.

Certainly that works.

In the Live environment, also, if you do not use sudo, it spits out a warning that you may not get correct information, and as much information.

So @hacktheworld , just follow these steps

In Terminal

Code:
sudo lshw-gtk &

and enter your password. That will start the GUI, but you will still have Terminal open, and as you use the GUI, additional lines may appear in the Terminal.

If that happens, and you wish to close the Terminal, then at that time

1. Press Ctrl-c to stop the output in Terminal

2. Type in

exit

to close the Terminal.

Your lshw-gtk GUI should still be open until you close it.

If that does not work, then run it with the Terminal open, you can always maximise the GUI to hide it.

Wizard
I installed lshw-gtk from Synaptic Package Manager and automatically created an icon (Hardware Lister) in the application menu, when I click on the icon opens the terminal asking for the password but do not accept the administrator password
"About to execute lshw-gtk.
This command needs root privileges to be executed.
Using su...
Enter root password at prompt."

Attachments

• photo_2024-01-27_04-17-10.jpg
    photo_2024-01-27_04-17-10.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot from 2024-01-27 06-08-03.png
    Screenshot from 2024-01-27 06-08-03.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 49
Good to know. Tested here on a debian installed machine, not PureOS, and worked as described in post #18. That description is fairly standard in my experience with distros, but I didn't use PureOS so I was supposing it should behave the same as with other distros with the standard bash shell.
I have tested on Pure OS: do not work. I have to keep open the terminal.

I have solved on Pure OS typing on the terminal "nohup sudo lshw-gtk" (enter the password): so when I close the the terminal, lshw-gtk (GUI) remains open.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2024-01-31 13-34-37.png
    Screenshot from 2024-01-31 13-34-37.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Members online