Minimum requirements for live boot, installation(Mint)

I'm too rusty with Windows, but expand those categories on the left, starting with Hardware. Your vscode is probably something else as I think you will find you have a 64-bit system.

Yeah, that's because the OS is 32 bit. That CPU is absolutely a 64 bit capable CPU.

In fact, your CPU is here:

Yeah, more RAM and an SSD are viable. I'd go to 8 GB of RAM and an inexpensive Team Group (or similar) SSD. You'll run just fine with that. Those two things will breathe new life into your computer and you'll be able to get a few more years out of it.

Does that mean that when I install 64 bit Linux, it'll run?
Boot your USB in "live mode" first, but any 64-bit Linux should run. Then you can install. But 2GB of RAM may be slow for some of the heavier distros. You can try some lighter ones first, Zorin Lite, Linux Lite, Peppermint OS, Lubuntu, and others. Some may work better on your computer than others, so just experiment a little, and have fun.

In fact, your CPU is here:

Yeah, more RAM and an SSD are viable. I'd go to 8 GB of RAM and an inexpensive Team Group (or similar) SSD. You'll run just fine with that. Those two things will breathe new life into your computer and you'll be able to get a few more years out of it.
Boot your USB in "live mode" first, but any 64-bit Linux should run. Then you can install. But 2GB of RAM may be slow for some of the heavier distros. You can try some lighter ones first, Zorin Lite, Linux Lite, Peppermint OS, Lubuntu, and others. Some may work better on your computer than others, so just experiment a little, and have fun.
Okay guys, I got RAM upgraded to 6gb, but sadly the SSDs they were providing me were costly and I didn't wanna spend that much on this pc. Think Linux mint will run good now(I'm okay with it being slow on hdd)?

Yes, you should be fine with probably any Linux distro you want to try. Have fun!

An SSD improves disk speeds, that is writes and reads from storage. So, it helps you start faster. It helps you open applications faster. It helps you save data faster. It can improve things like browsing speed because it writes the temporary files to disk faster.

You can get a 128 GB Team Group (from places like NewEgg) for very little money.

That's something to keep in mind. You WILL notice an improvement if you go from spinning platters to solid state. I just checked and there's a 128 GB Team Group SSD for $22 with free shipping.

You WILL notice an improvement if you go from spinning platters to solid state. I just checked and there's a 128 GB Team Group SSD for $22 with free shipping.
@Confused_nerd, @KGIII is absolutely correct... the speed difference is substantial and very much worth this low cost, if you can get it in your country.

Thanks, David! Although I'm not a big fan of NewEgg (as I once was).... I just ordered 3 of those 128 GB SSD's myself. I noticed the 256 GB SSD from Team Group for only $36 is also quite a deal, but I went for cheap x3 instead. :)

Thanks, David! Although I'm not a big fan of NewEgg (as I once was).... I just ordered 3 of those 128 GB SSD's myself. I noticed the 256 GB SSD from Team Group for only $36 is also quite a deal, but I went for cheap x3 instead. :)
I've got some of the 128 GB Team cheapo SSD's and for Linux it's all I need.

I recommend this.

It works for most distros Debian / Ubuntu based distros.

I just ordered 3 of those 128 GB SSD's myself.

I am too lazy to check, but I mentioned that I've had great luck with Team Group devices and someone chimed in to agree (giving a second opinion/verification of results). That may have been this thread, but I'm being lazy.

I've had nothing but good experiences with them. Their thumb drives are very inexpensive and I've yet to have a single one fail on me. That's not a typo - not a single one has failed. I have stacks of unopened thumb drives from when they put them on sale and I'm drinking wine when browsing NewEgg. The usual limit is like 5 per household, so I buy 5 at a whack. Sometimes it's only 3 per household.

But, I digress... So, I'll leave it at that.

I have no experience with Team Group, but I'm glad to hear your report. It's NewEgg that has given me trouble in more recent times, but I don't mean to discourage the OP or anyone else from buying from them. We all have some bad shopping experiences from time to time, no matter who we shop with.

The limit was 3 on the 128 GB model.

I see a BSD future for those I bought, but I have some more learning to do about care and maintenance of an SSD under those systems. @Confused_nerd should definitely check out your link though... there is good advice on that site. :)

An SSD improves disk speeds, that is writes and reads from storage. So, it helps you start faster. It helps you open applications faster. It helps you save data faster. It can improve things like browsing speed because it writes the temporary files to disk faster.

You can get a 128 GB Team Group (from places like NewEgg) for very little money.

That's something to keep in mind. You WILL notice an improvement if you go from spinning platters to solid state. I just checked and there's a 128 GB Team Group SSD for $22 with free shipping.
I'll check it out,(I live in a small town in India). The store owner here was selling me 120 gb ssd for what would be equivalent to about $30. They didn't have team Group SSDs. I'll buy it online if the shipping cost is not much...

I see a BSD future for those I bought, but I have some more learning to do about care and maintenance of an SSD under those systems. @Confused_nerd should definitely check out your link though... there is good advice on that site. :)
I've got some of the 128 GB Team cheapo SSD's and for Linux it's all I need.

I recommend this.

I checked the link, it's great. Thanks!

ELTP website has helped me a lot.

NewEgg has free shipping for the U.S. so not sure if you get that too. But $30 at a local store is a good price too, and you can take it home same day. As with RAM, be sure you get the proper drive type if you shop online, especially in a laptop. I think (but you must check) that the SATA SSD will work fine, but there are others, like NVMe, that will not work in your computer (or may need an adaptor). Having a competent local store can be very valuable to help you make right choices, even if they charge you a little more. :)

NewEgg has free shipping for the U.S. so not sure if you get that too. But $30 at a local store is a good price too, and you can take it home same day. As with RAM, be sure you get the proper drive type if you shop online, especially in a laptop. I think (but you must check) that the SATA SSD will work fine, but there are others, like NVMe, that will not work in your computer (or may need an adaptor). Having a competent local store can be very valuable to help you make right choices, even if they charge you a little more. :)
Okay, well I'm basically set for mint now(gonna download the ISO tmrw morning, load it on a 16 gb usb stick), I'll consider buying the SSD, but do you recommend I install Linux before so that I can see the difference, or should I buy SSD first?

I've been advising someone in another thread... don't worry about installing, or re-installing, or re-installing again. The experience of doing so is good for you, and the more you do it, the more comfortable you will be doing it in the future.

You may be satisfied with the speed of Linux on the HDD... it's worth trying it out before spending more money. But the SSD will certainly be faster if you want to make the upgrade.

Members online