Moving from Nvidia to AMD.

juliomarin

Reaction score
Credits
I started giving Linux much more attention this last year and I'm intended to stay with it from now on but I'm having issues with my 1660 Super. First, OpenSUSE Tumbleweed started glitching real badly. Then I moved to Debian, wich had problems with the last version (12.5) due to kernel changing. I still use Windows on a VM for programs like Lightroom and Photoshop.

So my question is: as far as know, it's very complicated to passthrough the GPU on a VM and I don't intend to learn how to do it. Also, when I tested Windows on a VM and edited a few pictures I had no issues at all.

So I want to change my GPU and get an AMD, but I don't know if it's worth having a GPU if I don't use for gaming or editing on Linux and the VM makes no use of it.

What you guys think is the better option: selling the 1660S for a RX 570 8GB or selling both my Nvidia GPU + my Ryzen 3600 and getting a 5700g.

Thanks!

I recently got a Ryzen 7800X3D. My GeForce 2080RTX Super died a couple of days after I got the new CPU.
So I've been using the built-in graphics. It's what I'm typing this on right now. They are... ummm... adequate.
But even very simple low resource games are noticeably different. boswars and minecraft are noticeably less
shaded. I'm not really a hard core gamer either, but I do watch youtube "how to" videos, and I frequently have to
be on video calls with a webcam. ( apparently because I'm so good looking? ) The videos are where I really see
the difference. I've been without a video card for about 2 weeks now, but I finally ordered a new one today.

I also decided to go the AMD Radeon direction this time. RX7800XT. No it's not as fast as Geforce 4080 or 4090.
But it's not $1500 or $1700 either. You can get them for less than $500 at Amazon and Newegg. I haven't installed
it ( as I said, I don't have it yet ) so I can't say how great it is quite yet, but on paper the specs are better than say a
GeForce RTX4070 or RTX3080. Which currently are in the $530 to $570 range.

So we will see, but I'm thinking if I can get equal or better performance, for $50 less, why not give it a try.
Also with Nvidia, I have to install 3rd party drivers from a 3rd party repo. With AMD they are part of the standard
vendor repo. No special install instructions needed. If this works out the way I think it will. I may not buy Nvidia
again for a long time, unless until they get competitive with their pricing.

I recently got a Ryzen 7800X3D. My GeForce 2080RTX Super died a couple of days after I got the new CPU.
So I've been using the built-in graphics. It's what I'm typing this on right now. They are... ummm... adequate.
But even very simple low resource games are noticeably different. boswars and minecraft are noticeably less
shaded. I'm not really a hard core gamer either, but I do watch youtube "how to" videos, and I frequently have to
be on video calls with a webcam. ( apparently because I'm so good looking? ) The videos are where I really see
the difference. I've been without a video card for about 2 weeks now, but I finally ordered a new one today.

I also decided to go the AMD Radeon direction this time. RX7800XT. No it's not as fast as Geforce 4080 or 4090.
But it's not $1500 or $1700 either. You can get them for less than $500 at Amazon and Newegg. I haven't installed
it ( as I said, I don't have it yet ) so I can't say how great it is quite yet, but on paper the specs are better than say a
GeForce RTX4070 or RTX3080. Which currently are in the $530 to $570 range.

So we will see, but I'm thinking if I can get equal or better performance, for $50 less, why not give it a try.
Also with Nvidia, I have to install 3rd party drivers from a 3rd party repo. With AMD they are part of the standard
vendor repo. No special install instructions needed. If this works out the way I think it will. I may not buy Nvidia
again for a long time, unless until they get competitive with their pricing.

Thanks for your info!
I think I'm almost decided to get the RX 570 8GB. First because I don't game (like nothing at all) and second, I don't intend to spend much money on a new GPU (they are kinda expensive where I live).
I think the 5700g became out of question due to motherboard compatibility, and if I need to do some image/video editing using Windows natively, the GPU will give a little help as well.

Members online