Netflix and Hulu on Debian 12

I saw that last time. I just checked a new debian install with firefox ESR and it is now there. but this must be something new in last 2 years. So now firefox ESR has the check mark. I learned something new.
That is correct it was never on the 32bit version of FF-ESR as far as I know, only the 64bit

Last edited:

@APTI wrote:
I just checked a new debian install with firefox ESR and it is now there. but this must be something new in last 2 years. So now firefox ESR has the check mark. I learned something new.

Research shows that the DRM checkbox was first introduced on firefox in version 47 in 2016. On firefox-esr the DRM checkbox was introduced on version 60 in 2018. Notes from those years confirm those researched results.

That is correct it was never on the 32bit version of FF-ESR as far as I know, only the 64bit
That's about as expected, TBH. The 32-bit Widevine build was deprecated - by Google - back in March of 2021. So 32-bit browsers haven't been able to stream DRM-encoded stuff for at least 3 years.....and since Google's interpretation of DRM decoding has been "adopted" as the 'industry standard', this unfortunately means that everybody has to use it whether they like it or not.

If 32-bit browsers can't use it any longer, it stands to reason that there's not much point in having a checkbox for it.

Mike. :(

yeah that is like rebuilding the car to fix the brake lights. having to do so much tells me that it does not work correctly.
I stick with the advice, dump debian and use something that supports it without so much work. I stand by my answer, if you have to do all that, then it does not work. Split hairs all you want, I click a check box and it works you have to spend hours fixing it. I have looked all over firefox ESR and not seen the check box.
You believe what you want. You asked me to detail a step-by-step guide to getting DRM-encoded streaming working in Firefox ESR, so I did as you asked.

True, if you already have it installed all you need to do IS to "check the box". I detailed the entire process from start to finish, though it took me way longer to post about the steps than it did to perform them.

From start of download to opening a functional NetFlix in FF-esr took a total of perhaps 4 minutes. I've done this so many times over the years I could do it in my sleep, yet you still persist in "dissing" everybody's attempts to prove otherwise.

I wash my hands of you.

Mike.
facepalm-small.gif

Members online