New Steam OS Clone for PC

xlbooyahlx

Reaction score
Credits

Bazzite is a SteamOS Clone That Supports Gaming PCs

Bazzite isn't an exact clone of SteamOS 3, but its functionality is virtually identical to Valve's operating system. On the surface, Bazzite features an identical desktop experience to SteamOS 3. Thanks to the integration of KDE Plasma — a customizable Linux desktop environment, and Valve's KDE themes from SteamOS, Bazzite shares the same desktop wallpapers, icons, and taskbar as Valve's operating system. If you didn't know any better, you'd think you were running the real SteamOS.
But under the hood, Bazzite's actual operating system is not the same, as it uses an entirely different Linux distro from Valve's operating system. Instead of using a branch of Arch Linux, which is the distro SteamOS 3 is based on, Bazzite is built using a custom version of Fedora 38, which incorporates more hardware and device support than SteamOS 3. Some of the hardware support includes baked-in proprietary Nvidia driver support for GeForce GPUs, to enable GeForce-powered systems to run Bazzite. (Sadly AMD support is unclear — but the OS does support AMD ROCm.)

use arch, for a noob installer that i use, garuda os gnome version then install steam pop-shell for tiling and , gamescope-session-git for a full steamdeck os thats on preview its so up to date! u pick it at login (chimeraos)gamescope

use arch, for a noob installer that i use, garuda os gnome version then install steam pop-shell for tiling and , gamescope-session-git for a full steamdeck os thats on preview its so up to date! u pick it at login (chimeraos)gamescope
Yeah, except this is all done and ready to go out of the box including Nvidia drivers, controller driver, etc :rolleyes:

As is Bazzite, but it actually works unlike your cobbled OS lol

You're going to wait a while for a response. They've decided they wanted to take a vacation.

Hello xlbooyahlx,

While I appreciate the enthusiasm and dedication with which you've detailed the capabilities and features of Bazzite, there are a few areas of concern that I believe need to be addressed.

Firstly, the assertion that Bazzite is almost indistinguishable from SteamOS 3 in terms of user experience can be a double-edged sword. Sure, it can be seen as a testament to the developers' prowess, but it also raises concerns about originality and innovation. If Bazzite is essentially repackaging the SteamOS experience, then what real value does it bring to the table that Valve's official offering doesn't? Linux's strength lies in its diversity, and creating yet another "me too" operating system might not be the best way to tap into that strength.

Furthermore, while Bazzite might offer certain under-the-hood improvements, the decision to build it using a custom version of Fedora 38, as opposed to the Arch Linux branch that SteamOS 3 is based on, can be seen as perplexing. Fedora and Arch have distinct philosophies and user bases. By choosing Fedora, Bazzite might alienate a segment of the Linux gaming community that prefers the rolling release and bleeding-edge nature of Arch.

Your mention of proprietary Nvidia driver support is commendable, but the ambiguous stance on AMD support is concerning. With AMD's rising popularity and their commitment to open-source, any modern gaming-oriented OS should prioritize full AMD support.

Lastly, the complexity of the Bazzite installation procedure might deter potential users, especially those new to Linux. In an age where user-friendliness is paramount, releasing an OS with an installation process that is deemed "incomplete" by its own developers is a significant oversight.

In conclusion, while Bazzite might have its merits, I believe it's crucial to address these concerns to ensure it offers a truly unique and valuable proposition to the Linux gaming community. I'd urge you to consider these points not as mere criticism but as feedback that could guide future development efforts.

Best regards,
Kiba Snowpaw

ambiguous stance on AMD support
AMDs drivers have been baked into the linux kernel for QUITE A LONG TIME SMH
While I appreciate the enthusiasm and dedication with which you've detailed the capabilities and features of Bazzite
I didn't detail anything, as it wasn't my article, merely a link to one.
then what real value does it bring to the table that Valve's official offering doesn't?
the decision to build it using a custom version of Fedora 38, as opposed to the Arch Linux
And you answer your own question SMH yet again

"In conclusion", you might want to start a thread, or better yet do a video on your channel where you argue the merits of the OS between what appear to be your multiple personalities, as you seem to do very well with that line of argument ;)

Now there's a video that would be very entertaining, and one I'd certainly watch!

Members online

Latest posts