Nobara isnt booting from USB.

aali

Reaction score
Credits
I have 2 usb's. i flashed the nobara installer with rufus to usb 1 and it worked perfectly. When starting the installation i choose to delete entire disk for the os and i also chose the no swap memory option. The installation went perfectly and installed withot error. It told me to reboot but when i go to boot sequence in my uefi/boot menu it only shows the installer usb and not the usb that i installed to. i opened windows again and all the partitions seem to be working. there is 1 big partition for storage and 600mb fat32 partition for efi and another 1gb partition that is ext4 im not sure what its for. Now ive been stuck here for some time trying to figure out how to boot the usb. As far as i know it didnt install grub or anything and booting the installer usb just takes me to the live not installed version of the OS. There are no tutorials for installing nobara on a usb. Any help is appreciated. I also uploaded a picture of the patitions i got from windows disk management.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-25 181807.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-25 181807.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 32

It told me to reboot but when i go to boot sequence in my uefi/boot menu it only shows the installer usb and not the usb that i installed to.
Did you intent to install to USB or to drive in your PC?

If you want the installation on usb then use live image. (ISO) because these are geared for booting and using from usb.

Did you intent to install to USB or to drive in your PC?

If you want the installation on usb then use live image. (ISO) because these are geared for booting and using from usb.
Yes i wanted a portable fully installed Nobara on my usb. I was using a different usb to install it. The live version works fine but it doesnt have persistence so it doesnt remember my changes like if i install some apps or change settings it will all be wiped when its shut down, Thats why i wanted to install. If you know a way to just flash the iso and still have persistence then please tell me

@aali
Rufus has option to format USB with persitent storage which is then used by live image to persist data.
This is recommended method if you're formatting in Windows.

It told me to reboot but when i go to boot sequence in my uefi/boot menu it only shows the installer usb and not the usb that i installed to
I guess because grub needs to be installed to USB as well, without grub there can be no boot.
and for grub to be installed you need EFI partition which most likely you don't have on USB, also you usb would have to be GPT.
But I've never done this so can't help.

I suggest persistent storage with rufus and live image.

Staff online

Members online