panel has a mind of its own

marbles

Reaction score
Credits
as everyone else, i have a bunch of programs open in the panel

but it keeps changing the order of them. like it has a mind of its own

can someone please tell me how to keep the programs fixed

thx

@marbles , in previous posts/threads from you, you have provided no feedback nor thanks for the volumes of input made by members here. The time and expertise expended on your behalf, is voluminous.

I, for one, will no longer make any attempt at helping you, until that situation changes.

I, for one, will no longer make any attempt at helping you, until that situation changes.

^ THIS

I wouldn't be surprised to see Wiz just lock it. I'll let him make that decision.

Unruly programs in the panel is one of the perks of using Linux, you can't solve this problem unless you are rich and able to buy win or mac, sorry dude, I know you are poor and doomed to use Linux and its unruly programs

You can't solve this problem unless you are rich and able to buy win or mac, sorry dude, I know you are poor and doomed to use Linux and its unruly programs
It has nothing to do with money. I own a windows license, the key is still baked into my system as a matter of fact, and I switched because I got utterly disgusted by it. Do not assume poverty from a Linux user. This is me politely warning you - next time I will shut you down with the same presumptuousness you showed OP.

P.S.: Windows is even more restrictive for it's customization than Linux.
as everyone else, i have a bunch of programs open in the panel

but it keeps changing the order of them. like it has a mind of its ownthx
The panel will sort itself based on the programs you've most recently brought into focus. It's baked into the desktop environment, I know of no way to change that other than selecting a different desktop or doing major surgery with the source code and then compiling it yourself.

It has nothing to do with money. I own a windows license, the key is still baked into my system as a matter of fact, and I switched because I got utterly disgusted by it. Do not assume poverty from a Linux user. This is me politely warning you - next time I will shut you down with the same presumptuousness you showed OP.
In an older post of the OP he claimed that he use Linux because he is poor, and I just joking about it, cool down.

I overpaid good money for a laptop without OS in order to put Linux in to it, while other laptops ready to use with win 10 was half the price.

Of course Linux doesn't mean poor

Windows is Free to DL from Microsoft servers with a watermark in the side of the screen

@marbles - you can drag and drop the panel icons on the left side of your panel to where you want them.

When you are satisfied, reboot and see if they remain there.

Wizard

Dependent on which desktop you have, open desktop, find blank space, right click, and you should get a panel, one of the options will normally be "customise" use this to switch off "Auto-arrange" then you can order and place your Icons wherever you like, and if you add a new one re-arange the display to put it where you want to.

Brian, I think you are talking about desktop icons (auto arrange) but the OP is, I think talking about his Mint panel, likely at bottom of screen, on the left, with system tray icons on the right.

Wizard

PS we would benefit more from a screenshot from the OP.

There doesn't appear to be much available to customise the applets or fix their position

This is one area where Puppy's JWM/ROXfiler with 'pinboard' combo is unbeatable.

Since it's ALL controlled via simple Bash scripts written in XML markup, you want to change the order of things in the 'Launcher' area, to the left? No sweat; open up the ~/.jwmrc-tray file in a text editor.....and simply re-order things in the list to suit yourself.

They WILL stay where you put them. Puppy/JWM doesn't know the meaning of "auto-arrange"! :p

(Sorry, but I have to agree with others on one point; occasional feedback from @marbles as to whether any of the proffered solutions actually work would be nice. Just occasionally, like....)

(shrug...)

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
hi 2 wizards :)

thanks for trying to help - under the panel options - i don't see "auto arrange" so i can't turn it off

i did see something called "lock panel". any idea what this does

hi mike
i'm way too stupid to understand that. thank you for trying though

I don't have anything pinned or should I say Add to panel.
m1213.gif

Members online