Penguin Auth logs

MrMungo

Reaction score
Credits
So im very new to linux and im trying to find my auth.log or whatever the equivalent would be in penguin i googled it and basically they tell me to go /var/logs/auth.logs but nothing relevant to logs is in logs but there is a private dir i cant get into atm even with sudo. i am the only user and the admin so i dont know why i wouldnt be able to get into it. ive checked users with the "who -a" command and i only see 3 things, system boot, run level 5, and console so i have no idea

G'day MrMungo, Welcome to Linux.org

Better give us some detail

Which Linux are you running ?.....eg linux mint cinnamon...21.2 version..

Seeing you are 'very new' to Linux, may I ask why you wish to find that particular log ?

I can only assume you mean system logs ?

The auth.log file contains information on successful and unsuccessful login attempts, as well as information on other security-related events.

If you are that new, be careful where you go...and especially do not alter things or delete them.....That sort of activity is guaranteed to break your system.....

Having at least 1 Timeshift snapshot to go back to is an absolute necessity

Tell us more please.

PS. If you need help setting up Timeshift, we can do that with you.

Last edited:
G'day MrMungo, Welcome to Linux.org

Better give us some detail

Which Linux are you running ?.....eg linux mint cinnamon...21.2 version..

Seeing you are 'very new' to Linux, may I ask why you wish to find that particular log ?

I can only assume you mean system logs ?

The auth.log file contains information on successful and unsuccessful login attempts, as well as information on other security-related events.

If you are that new, be careful where you go...and especially do not alter things or delete them.....That sort of activity is guaranteed to break your system.....

Having at least 1 Timeshift snapshot to go back to is an absolute necessity

Tell us more please.
yes im trying to see the login attempts ive googled and watched a few videos on this and it looks like im just missing in unless its the "private" dir in the screenshot below. as for which linux im running im not sure it just says penguin

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-17 8.25.26 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-17 8.25.26 PM.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot 2023-11-17 10.41.23 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-17 10.41.23 PM.png
    69 KB · Views: 62
Is this running on a laptop or desktop ?

Is there a menu button in the bottom left hand corner....is so, click on that and type Welcome Screen in....click on that.....it should tell you the linux name and version on the window that opens

G'day @MrMungo welcome to linux.org :)

From Terminal. please give us the output from

Code:
cat /etc/*release

For textual output, code fields are better than a picture. You can copy the textual output from Terminal and paste into the code tags as below

dHWsUJl.png

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

it just says penguin
If memory serves correct, Penguin was a special lightweight distribution used by Acer [and some others] and has not been updated for around 10 years

there is also a new distribution for use on WSL only called Pengwin

Last edited:
i guess im using PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)" im on a laptop with chromeOS (got this after running "cat /etc/*release as wizardfromoz suggested)

If memory serves correct, Penguin was a special lightweight distribution used by Acer [and some others] and has not been updated for around 10 years

there is also a ne distribution for use on WSL only called Pengwin

yes its an acer laptop chromeOS, glad to know then havent updated it in 10 year that would explain a lot

Members online