[Pop OS] HDMI stopped working

Cach

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, the HDMI display on my Pop OS laptop randomly stopped working

I used my laptop plugged via HDMI to have a double screen setup, but it suddently stopped working, not detecting the screen and not displaying anything.
Problem seems to come from Pop because HDMi display is working fine with another distro booting from USB.

I'm using NVIDIA graphics.
Which steps could I take to troubleshoot this problem ?

Problem seems to come from Pop because HDMi display is working fine with another distro
I am not surprised,

Moved to 'other distributions' sub-forum.

Pop is not Ubuntu and is quite different under the hood. Even though it is based on Ubuntu, they are not the same and solutions may not match.

Cach wrote:
Which steps could I take to troubleshoot this problem ?
You could inspect the logs: journalctl output, /var/log/syslog file output, the Xorg.0.log file if using xorg. If you have loaded proprietary nvidia drivers, then you may need to investigate how to troubleshoot them ... I'm not familiar with them. But you could unload them and install the nouveau driver and see if that makes a difference, and if not, restore the nvidia drivers if you want them. Alternatively, go with the distro that you found that works since a user can usually make just about any linux distro do what the user wants.

Firstly, Pop is compiled by System 76 for their own built business machines, although based on Ubuntu It is not a full Ubuntu general distribution, many of the codecs and drivers are not included, and with the additional "Pop" coding can make it difficult to install on other equipment, many of the usual Debian/Ubuntu fixes we use do not work on Pop, If it installs and runs "OTB" great if not it is a Pain in the rear.

Staff online