craigevil

Credits
2021-02-24-170125_1360x768_scrot.png

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Credits
This isn't my full desktop, it's a screenshot that I took to show someone that Linux isn't ugly.

desktop 1_017.png

That's Lubuntu 20.04, by the way.

This is my new desktop on another computer:

desktop 1_005.png

I haven't finished it. I still need to backup the various config files on this one and add them to that one, along with importing those sexy, sexy icons. The top icons don't sit there all the time. That's a 'dock' that I made with the LXQt panel by making a new dock that automatically hides itself and only appears when I keep the mouse at the very top for 1.5 seconds. That disappears and remains hidden under normal use.

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Credits
OK, I'll bite.

Is it Supergirl's alter ego, eg

Linda Lee Danvers
Linda Lang or
Kara Danvers ?

Wiz, aging DC fan

rado84

Credits
Kara Danvers (and Melissa Benoist for that matter) is one of a kind! The others are impostors.
And i'ts not "alter ego". I'm ashamed to admit that I'm... in love with Melissa.

Last edited:

Linuxembourg

Credits
1617724570442.png

Lubuntu 20.10 with plank at the bottom. In the taskbar at the top, I have three application menus with a customised shutdown menu and all custom buttons (the ones I could change).

There is probably a better way to achieve that than starting with Lubuntu but I didn't know that last week.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Credits
There is probably a better way to achieve that than starting with Lubuntu but I didn't know that last week.
I do similar, but I use the built-in paneling software to do it. Starting with Lubuntu isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's a great OS and easy to customize. If you're looking to theme the applications, then kvantum is a pretty good starting point.

Linuxembourg

Credits
I do similar, but I use the built-in paneling software to do it. Starting with Lubuntu isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's a great OS and easy to customize. If you're looking to theme the applications, then kvantum is a pretty good starting point.
I presume you can't use the built in panel to fully replicate plank? I couldn't work out how to replicate pin to taskbar. The intellihide function in plank is also very nice (it only hides when it needs to) and the zoom on hover feature looks nice. It also (for some apps) allows you to right-click and get options valid to that app (i.e "open a new window" for chrome)

I should've previously said I have a panel at the top, but I am fully institutionalised in windows-speak!

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Credits
The panel at the top (see my screenshot in this thread) disappears and appears only if I keep the cursor at the top of the screen for 1.5 seconds. There's no other intelligence to it - which was how I wanted it.

Linuxembourg

Credits
The panel at the top (see my screenshot in this thread) disappears and appears only if I keep the cursor at the top of the screen for 1.5 seconds. There's no other intelligence to it - which was how I wanted it.

I see, it looks like mines in reverse basically. I don't like words next to open programs though.

How do you add/remove programs from the panel at the top. I presume you need to manually edit a .menu file?

Your file manager looks very similar to mines but better with the splash of colour in some folders. Very nice indeed.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Credits
How do you add/remove programs from the panel at the top. I presume you need to manually edit a .menu file?
Drag and drop, and adjust the size manually.

I don't like words next to open programs though.
That can be done, like it is in my top panel. It's in the settings.

Task Manager Settings_077.png

It's under the appearance section.

Anyhow, we should probably split this off to its own topic soon - so we don't derail this thread. This thread is really just for sharing screenshots, not for configuring the desktop.

$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!

Staff online

Members online