Problem with wifi and bluetooth

I don't think ubuntu has that package. It's a debian package. Ubuntu has differently named firmware packages that can be checked here: https://packages.ubuntu.com/

In any case the OP can check to see if he has mediatek firmware by looking at the directory:
/lib/firmware/mediatek, to see if it's populated with about 50 files (including those files in the directories within that mediatek directory).
i am really sorry i don't know to move around in ubuntu yet
can you explain how can i check if i have mediatek firmware?

I hate Media tek. Their products often cause problems on Linux.

OK so i have now checked the Linux compatibility driver list for this item. it states there is not currently,a driver for this product that is known to work. [on any make of machine or distribution] so it looks like change the card or use usb wi-fi adaptor
thanks for the answer
in post #17 i wrote that sometimes the wifi seems to work when i cold boot but not when i reboot, do you know why that could happen?
can i give adition information to detect what is happening?

i am really sorry i don't know to move around in ubuntu yet
can you explain how can i check if i have mediatek firmware?
Okay. To move around the filesystem you can use a GUI file manager like Nautilus. There's ubuntu info on using the file manager here:

Alternatively, one can use the terminal with a few commands doing the following:
Open a terminal which can be found by clicking on an icon or item representing the terminal somewhere in the GUI menu.
Type in the relevant command (given below), and press enter after each command to execute it.

To check on the mediatek firmware, one can do the following in the terminal:
The cd command will change the directory the user is in (on the terminal) to the directory of interest. Run:
Code:
cd /lib/firmware
This takes you to the firmware directory where the firmware of interest is installed.
To list the files in the firmware directory the user has just arrived in, run:
Code:
ls
From the list of files and directories that appears on screen, check to see if there is a directory (folder) named "mediatek". If there is such a directory, in order to change to that directory, run:
Code:
cd mediatek
Now the user is in the mediatek directory, from where a listing of files can be seen with the following command:
Code:
ls

If there are about 30 files there, and about 5 directories, then the firmware is installed.

If there is no mediatek directory, or a mediatek directory with few or no files in it, you need to install the mediatek firmware. That's all there is to it :)

you can check in Synaptic Package Manager - in the search block type in mediatek it should come back with a firmware package that has the mediatek firmware in it -

but also check your kernel version type in uname -r

Okay. To move around the filesystem you can use a GUI file manager like Nautilus. There's ubuntu info on using the file manager here:

Alternatively, one can use the terminal with a few commands doing the following:
Open a terminal which can be found by clicking on an icon or item representing the terminal somewhere in the GUI menu.
Type in the relevant command (given below), and press enter after each command to execute it.

To check on the mediatek firmware, one can do the following in the terminal:
The cd command will change the directory the user is in (on the terminal) to the directory of interest. Run:
Code:
cd /lib/firmware
This takes you to the firmware directory where the firmware of interest is installed.
To list the files in the firmware directory the user has just arrived in, run:
Code:
ls
From the list of files and directories that appears on screen, check to see if there is a directory (folder) named "mediatek". If there is such a directory, in order to change to that directory, run:
Code:
cd mediatek
Now the user is in the mediatek directory, from where a listing of files can be seen with the following command:
Code:
ls

If there are about 30 files there, and about 5 directories, then the firmware is installed.

If there is no mediatek directory, or a mediatek directory with few or no files in it, you need to install the mediatek firmware. That's all there is to it :)
thank you so much for the explanation
there is a mediatek folder and there are a lot of documents there so i assume it is installed

Members online