Software

malvika

Reaction score
Credits
Which linux software should i download, i mean which one is good ?

depends on your previous experience on linux. Assuming you are a beginner, you can try Ubuntu, Linux Mint or Zorin OS. Zorin OS is my favourite, because it has a nice UI.

Every linux distribution is good, it is about the user who uses it

I would use Ubuntu. It's the one of the most widely used distributions. Troubleshooting on Ubuntu is relatively easy, because there is lots of help available online regarding it. (Along with other distros.) Its intuitive for new users.

I would use Ubuntu. It's the one of the most widely used distributions. Troubleshooting on Ubuntu is relatively easy, because there is lots of help available online regarding it. (Along with other distros.) Its intuitive for new users.
There's lots of resources for Fedora also.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

You have a choice of over 500 distributions, all of them are both good and bad, as to the best, then it's the one you like the look and feel of, will work on your kit, and do what you want, with it, what suites any of us will not nesasaraly suite you, when you are ready download 5 or 6 different distributions with different desktops, run them live and see what you like best

see also https://linux-tips.us/how-do-i-install-linux-a-general-guide/

Make up your own mind.

Start with simple and straightforward.

Linux Mint is without a doubt a good starting point

WHAT are your computer specs????

Are you looking for Linux software or a Linux distro? Everyone on this thread was answering about the best distro so it makes me confused. If you are looking for software, check out this list:

The best distro is the one that matches your prefrences. If you are looking for a distro, you may want to check out this list:

New people on Linux often download ubutun but I also recommend Manjaro with gnome and solus if you like windows 10 then KDE would be the best. Fedora has a spin off for every one.

What machine specifications is yours? Please porvide make and model, if nothing else.
What will be your main uses for this machine?
Are you faamiliar with any other Operating System?

We need a little more detail.

Do you mean which distribution or software?

If you mean which distribution you can answer that by what your machine specs are.
Obviously if you only have 2 GB of RAM you would want to choose a light weight distro like say Linux Lite.

Software on the other hand is a whole different subject.
If you are used to Microsoft Word give Libre Office a spin.

OP may also want to read this:

It'd help a great deal, methinks.

I have a HP notebook im falimar with mint fedora GNOME and evry one on the download linux section this is my pc https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/slp/omen-gaming/laptops?jumpid=ma_lt_featured_na_2_220210
With an i5 CPU and 8 GB of RAM you should be able to install Linux without any headaches.
I did see that your HP Omen has a Nvidia Ge Force GTX 1650 GPU inside.

So, you may need to install the Linux Display Driver 510.54 from Nvidia.

Are you keeping Windows 11 or letting Linux take over that laptop?

Keep in mind that if your distro that you install get's a new kernel you will have to install the Nvidia driver again.
There is a way around that however I think only a few of our members know how to do that.
I remember our member @f33dm3bits telling me that information.

nVidia driver download (as above) -- be sure to study the README
I'd recommend Manjaro, since it's a gaming laptop

Members online