[solved] Help with installing linux on chromebook

timurs022

Reaction score
Credits
Hello.I am trying to install lubuntu linux on to my HP chromebook, and I can't really do it. So does anybody know how to trick chromeOS into thinking I inserted a chromeOS drive when in fact it is lubuntu linux?

One thing you have to do is turn on Developer mode on the Chrome OS in order to install a Linux OS.
This page may be of help to you.
Not all chromebooks will allow Linux install. Usually the ones with Intel processor will work while ones with ARM processors will not. Make sure you follow the recommendations to create a chrome backup disk before your start.

Yeah I already found a tutorial online and now I am struggling to pry the laptop since it doesn't really have any screws.

Why would you need to open the laptop case? Should not have to do that.

its in the youtube - because i need to remove a screw to write EUFI firmware

its in the youtube
Is this specifically for your HP, if not, ignore it. HP chromebooks are not the easiest to install anything other than chrome.
specific to HP..
The HP Chromebook 14 comes with Coreboot, a Free Software BIOS replacement, preinstalled.1 For security reasons the factory default settings of Coreboot allow you to run Google-signed images only. To install Debian (or any other non-Google-signed OS) you have to put your Chromebook into developer mode and enable boot from USB and boot legacy OSes first.

Enter developer mode​

1. Backup all local user data! When you enter developer mode all data will be lost.
2. Enter recovery mode by holding down ESC+Refresh and hitting the power button.
3. In recovery mode, press Ctrl+D. You'll get the message To turn OS verification OFF, press ENTER. Your system will reboot and local data will be cleared – hit Enter and wait. After a few minutes your Chromebook will boot into developer mode.

I just finished it! The new EUFI firmware works like a charm and I am now installing mint because lubuntu just froze on startup and i'm used to mint anyway

Last edited:
Hi @timurs022 - what video are you referring to?

I have an ARM chromebook that I would like to install Linux on top of