[Solved] Server without domain name. Questions and setup

T

Taco

Want to turn an old windows pc into a linux server. My main uses are mySql database and to process with different scripts that are non/relevant to database. Server is going to be dedicated to a game called second life (browser based) and accessed with htp request and respond
My questions are:
Is it possible to make such a sever without domain name with an dynamic ipv4 address?
Would a setup with windows desktop pc and linux server work without any extra hardware to access internet?
How to setup such server?

Program/s need to be given with a permission for free and legal public use.

Edit:
To:ryanvade - Do i need a ip service such as noipcom? Mainly the server is going to connect to second life and only have respond as an return. The link is the browser for the game not what am after. What am after is basically mySql database and some extra functions running on linux.

Edit:
To:MikeyD - Will connect with htp request and respond. Don't need a reliably connection it is going to be used active at intervals only

Edit:
Will apologise if i'm not so clear in what am after. I'm basically wondering if an no DNS server is possible and how to set one up with mySql

Edit:
To:Yesyesloud - Mainly because i would like to work with such a network.

Edit: [SOLVED]
Have found a way. Ended up using (VirtualBox) instead of a different computer. Then installed Ubuntu with LAMP configuration. It works without any extra hardware and was 'install and use' friendly. Now i only need to figure out how to use it : )
Thanks for help it is well appreciated

Last edited:

How are you planning on connecting to this server? Without a static IP address or some type of IP service, the address you will be using to access your server will be dynamically changing based on the discretion of your service provider or if you need to shut down the server.

Maybe we're missing your ultimate goal for this server. Do you want to host a second life server? If you want people to reliably be able to connect to your server in any fashion you will need some type of static IP or IP service otherwise you will have to send all users your "new" IP address every time an address lease runs out...

http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/t_DHCPLeaseLifeCycleOverviewAllocationReallocationRe.htm

Want to turn an old windows pc into a linux server. My main uses are mySql database and to process with different scripts that are non/relevant to database. Server is going to be dedicated to a game called second life (browser based) and accessed with htp request and respond
My questions are:
Is it possible to make such a sever without domain name with an dynamic ipv4 address?
Would a setup with windows desktop pc and linux server work without any extra hardware to access internet?
How to setup such server?

Program/s need to be given with a permission for free and legal public use.

Edit:
To:ryanvade - Do i need a ip service such as noipcom? Mainly the server is going to connect to second life and only have respond as an return. The link is the browser for the game not what am after. What am after is basically mySql database and some extra functions running on linux.

Edit:
To:MikeyD - Will connect with htp request and respond. Don't need a reliably connection it is going to be used active at intervals only

Edit:
Will apologise if i'm not so clear in what am after. I'm basically wondering if an no DNS server is possible and how to set one up with mySql

Question... Why no DNS?

Supposing you want to make this server available on the internet, you only have two options:

1- Adhering to a DNS service - there are many free ones, like no-ip.

2- Static ip.

Off-topic... I made some good friends in SL years ago. Besides, its concept is fantastic :)

Kinda hectic task, i too want to do the same but m kind of confused about what step to take first. If anyone could answer it, it will very appreciable.

Members online