The divorce is final. Now to ditch MS for good! (And a bit of useful info.)

Have a think about that

There are certain apps that will not run on Linux

You know which apps you use

There is a site, which suggests alternatives

Plus the Linux Software Manager (included in the install0 has thousands of apps for download..all free.

Take your time, sleep on it. Once windows is wiped...it's wiped.

If you ever chose to install windows 10 on that laptop again, It would most likely install again reasonably easily....and the verification key would almost certainly be buried in the bios...windows would find it.

Anyway....have a think and sleep on it.

If you proceed with a 'dual boot'...Linux & Windows, someone else will guide you through that. dual boots are not my scene. I wiped windows 10 back in 2014 and went straight to Linux. bit like being thrown in the deep end to learn to swim. Being a hard headed type, I made LOTS of mistakes/blunders.....and got to reinstall more than a few times. But, I did learn.

Lenovo.
Gee! Where did I get Leveno??? I literally just now realize I've been using the wrong name all this time.
:confused:
LOL...we know what you are talking about !

LOL...we know what you are talking about !
Same thing happened with my cat's name.
I read the "Lord of The Rings" trilogy. I named him after the elf. When he was about 5 years old someone pointed out that the elf's name is not Leg-a-los. It's Legolas, or something like that. After something like 2,000 pages, I still got the name wrong,

He's 10 years old. Too late to change now. Cats are already aloof. Can you imagine the looks he'd give me?

to do that you may do better looking for a 286 [8 bit] or 386 [16 bit] machine for really old dos programs
I still have in my possession an iNTEL 486DX4-100 No, a 286 would not do better. Plus, I would have the option of running 32 Bit OS and apps. It might be fun to install different versions of DOS and Windows with an appropriate boot manager, heck maybe even a copy of OS/2.

Last edited:
Look for a small switch on the device. Switch it to the other position.
I just yesterday experienced the Write Protected notification even though the USB Flash Drive I was using does not have a write protect switch. I did have a Kubuntu iso on a 64GB SanDisk Flash Drive, which I had made with my Kubuntu installed Laptop. I inserted said Flash Drive into a Microsoft Tablet running Windows 10 and Windows 10 gave me the write protect notice. Anyway, to make a long story short, I had to re-partition and re-format the Flash Drive via my Kubuntu Laptop so that my Windows device could then mount and open the Flash Drive.

Windows 10 does not recognise anything Linux...in particular the file system ext4

I did have a Kubuntu iso on a 64GB SanDisk Flash Drive, which I had made with my Kubuntu installed Laptop. I inserted said Flash Drive into a Microsoft Tablet running Windows 10 and Windows 10 gave me the write protect notice.

As @condoblocke said, Windows ain't dealing with that. Your USB was formatted Ext4 and the image was then written to it. Windows does okay with the *FAT and NTFS formats.

....condoblocke must be a new member....;)

Have a think about that

There are certain apps that will not run on Linux

You know which apps you use

There is a site, which suggests alternatives

Plus the Linux Software Manager (included in the install0 has thousands of apps for download..all free.

Take your time, sleep on it. Once windows is wiped...it's wiped.

If you ever chose to install windows 10 on that laptop again, It would most likely install again reasonably easily....and the verification key would almost certainly be buried in the bios...windows would find it.

Anyway....have a think and sleep on it.

If you proceed with a 'dual boot'...Linux & Windows, someone else will guide you through that. dual boots are not my scene. I wiped windows 10 back in 2014 and went straight to Linux. bit like being thrown in the deep end to learn to swim. Being a hard headed type, I made LOTS of mistakes/blunders.....and got to reinstall more than a few times. But, I did learn.
Hey Condo,
Seems we may be cut from the same cloth.
That seems to be the best way for me to learn - make the mistakes and then go forward, and try not to forget how I fixed it. Been doing that all my life; from my first bike and on through my cars etc.
OG
Did I mention all the home repairs that came along? LOL Re-plumbing our house was a lot of fun. Oh yeah, and the roofing too. Oops, almost forgot about replacing the garage. And the list goes on and on.

I know the feeling, Charlie...all too well.

I am no stranger to being on top of a house (roof & ceiling cavity) and also underneath it....plumbing and restumping.

I managed to leave most electrical work to the experts. That stuff bites when you get it wrong.

As @condoblocke said, Windows ain't dealing with that. Your USB was formatted Ext4 and the image was then written to it. Windows does okay with the *FAT and NTFS formats.
I've been using PCs for several decades, Mac for 19 years. My above commentary was in regard to the so called Write Protected USB Flash Drive, even though it DOES NOT HAVE a Write Protect switch.

Last edited:
I will take a minor bet that there is an actual 'switch' on the side/bottom of the drive
I'll take you up on that bet, lets make it $20, in fact just save yourself the trouble and concede, since I already proved you wrong.

Last edited:

Members online