The divorce is final. Now to ditch MS for good! (And a bit of useful info.)

which country are you in?

I only occasionally use a VPN for browsing, for things like this I use the standard connection [i often find it faster], selecting mirrors in the Mint updater will normally offer you the fastest server in your region,
Finally, why is it that I can watch Ultra HD movies and watch IPTV but downloads are so slow?
this is down to server speed, load and network capacity, you will often find that waiting till 2 am [local time] speeds are a little faster, [or by trying a mirror in a region that is 12 hrs adrift from you sometimes works faster]

I have about 20% left.

The way I have my VPN set up would require disconnecting from the internet entirely before I could turn it off. I don't want to chance having to start over!

I've read that VPN's slow down internet speed. Mine is MUCH faster using a VPN, at least with the one I use. Seriously, A LOT FASTER.

I'm sure that once I finally get Linux installed I will have a lot more questions. Should I ask them here or start a new post for each question?

Torrent is a good way to go. The file is deemed safe when done this way.

The download link for a torrent is on this page:

click on the link...it will download to your desktop or wherever you store downloads

Drag and drop the downloaded link to the main page of your torrent client/app....it will automatically start to download.

Last edited:
You can download with or without a vpn. There is nothing illegal about an .iso download.

Which country do you use for the vpn to route through?....I imagine america may be slow becasue there so many people.

I use either the Netherlands or Switzerland

or...try it without the vpn...because there will not be many people downloading that .iso it may perform quicker for you

You can download with or without a vpn.
My biggest reason for a using a VPN is that much connection is so much faster with it. I'm also a privacy junkie. Back in the days of AOL and Compuserve a stranger I met online showed up at my work place. I have no idea how he found me.

You must live in a place where you're online privacy is protected.
No, just the UK, I take the view that if you're not doing anything even slightly dodgy then why bother, I have ad blockers and other security as well as common sense to protect my system, VPN are not the be all and end all as many think you can still be tracked/monitored [ask my friends at GCHQ or your friends in the NSA] it may take longer, but that's all.

I use either the Netherlands or Switzerland
I am lucky we have several high speed mirrors in the UK, my two favourites are University of Canterbury and UKFast, never had a problem with either, so you could always try one of these in the middle of our night is best

The chances of someone finding you via a torrent are just about zero...possibly below zero.

As you said....back in the day.....PC security has come a long way since then

Does your vpn give you a choice of country to download through ?

Your call

It's done downloading now. And I'm tired! I was hoping to have my laptop and PC connected to the internet, one with the Microshit crap I know how to use and the other with Linux. My usual internet line is down right now, device issues.

See? My problems just don't stop! I also lost my job last week.

BUT...

I've been having issues with my travel coffee mugs. Out of frustration I called the manufacturer. It turns out they have a 5 year warranty. They're sending me 3 brand new mugs. No questions, I don't have to send anything back to them.

I was flabbergasted!

Does your vpn give you a choice of country to download through ?
It doesn't matter as far I know. I've downloaded stuff from a lot of their servers. They're are specialty servers, but I've never checked them out.

They're are specialty servers, but I've never checked them out.
OMG!
I consider myself a pseudo spelling and grammar nazi! My aunt was an English professor. She would have a heart attack if she saw that!

It can make a great deal of difference. Many vpn companies have very few servers ....and as a result the ones they do have are overloaded.
Which one are you with?

THey have a lot of servers.....try another country to download through...not america

It picks the fastest one for me. I've connected in the UK and Canada and not found any difference in speed. Oh yeah, access to stuff out of the US is another reason for the VPN.

When you access the internet, you automatically get results from all over the world......that includes china etc etc

provided the sites you are accessing are reasonaby straight up and down and legitimate, you will have no problem.

Using a reasonably secure browser is important. Your browser and your browsing habits are the most important.

The material you may download is the next most important.

When you access the internet, you automatically get results from all over the world......that includes china etc etc

provided the sites you are accessing are reasonaby straight up and down and legitimate, you will have no problem.

Using a reasonably secure browser is important. Your browser and your browsing habits are the most important.

The material you may download is the next most important.
I don't partake in illegal activities. I just like my privacy. I do everything I can to avoid fingerprinting, market profiling, etc, etc. A google search of my name brings up zero information. A few other people with my same name, but not me personally. I'm not so ignorant as to believe everything about me is private, but to the average Joe it is.

:)

Staff online

Members online