The future of Linux Mint

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits
I wonder if Canonical will do the same or similar to, Red Hat (for the money) and the same fate will befall Ubuntu....
I do not blame Red Hat....they are running a business.....and a business soon becomes defunct if no funds are rolling in to keep it afloat

Personally, I'm glad that our beloved LM has protection in the form of LMDE... Chances are that the story in the Red Hat area is a small step towards LMDE becoming the main distribution instead of LMUE...(Linux Mint Ubuntu Edition)....

It is my opinion that Clem Lefebvre (Linux Mint) does not do anything without good reason.
Still having trouble pronouncing his surname?...drop the b ....Le fev ra )

He has said constantly that LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) is 'only' there in case something disastrous happens to Ubuntu.

Face it, he is not going to upset the applecart by coming out and saying that Ubuntu are a bunch of scoundrels and will ditch Linux Mint when it suits them or when the money is right for such a move.

What say you ?

(do yourself a favour...download LMDE 5 and put it on a usb stick and boot to it....have a look at what you are commenting about.....and also bear in mind that LMDE is being actively developed, LMDE 6 is due out before Christmas this year.

He has said constantly that LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) is 'only' there in case something disastrous happens to Ubuntu.
Brian
as you know I moved my main machine over to LMDE5, when it came out, and have been more than happy with it, without some of the clutter of the main edition, I find it a little quicker without any loss of functionality.

I ditched *buntu a long time ago, when they changed things from straight Debian, & I ditched Debian when they went the way of RedHat, with systemd - I now use Devuan - the 'real' Debian! :D

Ubuntu has been looking to make more money for a while now, but I'm not so sure that they will follow RH, as they will have seen the backlash, which won't be good for business - as long as Debian stays afloat, your Mint version should be safe enough - but you could go systemd free by using Devuan instead. ;)

Me? I keep my hand in with the BSDs....just in case Linux finally succumbs to Commercial interests. :)

LMDE is a good desktop and has all the function needed. I think Conical will not go the way of RH, But that's just my opinion.
They are going to be pushing their snap packaging which may force Mint to go with LMDE.
Here is one of the latest spins on that.
I don't trust Conical./Ubuntu any longer they have started and abandoned so many things over the years. Unity desktop being one.

I ditched *buntu a long time ago, when they changed things from straight Debian, & I ditched Debian when they went the way of RedHat, with systemd - I now use Devuan - the 'real' Debian! :D

Ubuntu has been looking to make more money for a while now, but I'm not so sure that they will follow RH, as they will have seen the backlash, which won't be good for business - as long as Debian stays afloat, your Mint version should be safe enough - but you could go systemd free by using Devuan instead. ;)

Me? I keep my hand in with the BSDs....just in case Linux finally succumbs to Commercial interests. :)
The ideas that Eric Raymond wrote about in his work "The Cathedral and the Bazaar" counter the notion that linux would be best served by commercial controls. His work is here: http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/, where it's possible to download a postscript (.ps) version, and there's brief info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cathedral_and_the_Bazaar. It's a compelling conceptualisation that bodes well for the future of linux, but nothing is set in stone of course. In any case, one inference I take from the ideas is that community distributions have distinct advantages.

I wonder if Canonical will do the same or similar to, Red Hat (for the money) and the same fate will befall Ubuntu....

I would tell you if I knew they were going to, but I can say that I've heard nothing of the sort. I have no indication that Ubuntu will go the same way.

Ubuntu has a Pro subscription, for example, which is quite a different business model.

FYI
most-popular-linux-distributions/
Last Updated: May 18, 2023

DistroWatch remains the most accepted measure of popularity within the Linux community. It uses Page Hit Ranking (PHR) statistics to measure the popularity of Linux distributions among the visitors of the website.
The DistroWatch Page Hit Ranking statistics are a light-hearted way of measuring interest in Linux distributions and other free operating systems among the visitors of this website. They correlate neither to usage nor to quality and should not be used to measure the market share of distributions. They simply show the number of times a distribution page on DistroWatch was accessed each day, nothing more.

Linux Mint comes in at number 3 on that list...ubuntu at number 4

Just sayin

I
know, the arguments/debates could go on forever. But eventually, Linux Mint will have a decision to make. Stay where they are...and just absorb the stuff that comes from Ubuntu which they may not 'like'....or strike out as a completely separate entity.

Any fortune tellers/soothsayers here ?

The only place Linux Mint is going is up...https://distrowatch.com/

No mention of disaster at Mint HQ...https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=4558
Only exciting times ahead.
m1212.gif

Members online