Today's article has you switching between a GUI and a CLI...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Well, this is a fun article.

I like to think it's an informative article. Also, I want to use 'init' as a pun, but I'll spare you that.

This even has some additional ways to do this.

Running the cntl+alt+-> command, with repeated presses of the arrow key, to return to the GUI from the tty, isn't operating here on a few debian machines which are all started from a tty login, after which they run startx if the user wants the GUI. Rather, what works to return to the GUI from the tty, is running repeated presses of cntl+alt+F#, where # is a number between 1 and 7.

Just had a go on LXDE GUI machine, and it too didn't respond to the repeated cntl+alt+-> commands. That's not to say other DEs don't of course. Usually I've found to return to the GUI, it's either cntl+alt+F1 or cntl+alt+F7, but repeated goes at the F keys will find the way.

Running the cntl+alt+-> command, with repeated presses of the arrow key, to return to the GUI from the tty, isn't operating here on a few debian machines which are all started from a tty login, after which they run startx if the user wants the GUI. Rather, what works to return to the GUI from the tty, is running repeated presses of cntl+alt+F#, where # is a number between 1 and 7.

Just had a go on LXDE GUI machine, and it too didn't respond to the repeated cntl+alt+-> commands. That's not to say other DEs don't of course. Usually I've found to return to the GUI, it's either cntl+alt+F1 or cntl+alt+F7, but repeated goes at the F keys will find the way.

That's good to know. As it's not always consistent, I should probably add a line about trying various function key combinations until you get back. I really wish this was consistent. Usually it's F7 that brings you back to a GUI. Usually...

And LXDE should certainly do so, but maybe it's a Debian thing? I used this countless times back when Lubuntu was LXDE.

Bugger @osprey beat me to it, lol :)

On Dells, such as mine, it is often Ctrl-Alt-F4, however once entered, I can still return with Ctrl-Alt-F7.

...but maybe it's a Debian thing?

No.

You'd expect the mad multibooter to have some curly conundrums and I do.

What I said above applies to my Debian distros and Debian-based such as Ubuntu and Linux Mint.

It also applies to Arch-based distros such as Manjaro. Arcolinux, EndeavourOS and so on.

Likewise to Gentoo-based such as Calculate.

BUT (won't say it)

RPM-based - In both Fedora and Nobara. Ctrl-Alt-F4 will get me in, but no joy with Ctrl-Alt-F7 back to GUI, nor with any other F from 1 to 12.

openSUSE-based Gecko works with the F4, F7 combo.

Haven't tried Mageia or OpenMandriva, yet but can.

Further, with some distros it differs between using (left) and (right) combinations of Ctrl-Alt.

Make of that what you will.

Wiz

On Dells, such as mine, it is often Ctrl-Alt-F4, however once entered, I can still return with Ctrl-Alt-F7.

Now that is a weird one. Linux Mint on a refurb Dell and it works exactly as I expected. I'll have to think of some sort of edit for the tty section, though that's not actually the meat of the article.