Today's article has you taking screenshots with Shutter...

KGIII wrote:
That's a bit much for modernity.
Yes. I've had look at scrot as well as shutter, with scrot install size at 132K and shutter coming in at a hefty 11.4M which is rather a stark contrast. Shutter is, nevertheless, "feature rich", so that's that.

KGIII wrote:

Yes. I've had look at scrot as well as shutter, with scrot install size at 132K and shutter coming in at a hefty 11.4M which is rather a stark contrast. Shutter is, nevertheless, "feature rich", so that's that.

I use it to crop and add arrows, as well as other highlights/edits. So, that's pretty trivial disk size for the use I get out of it.

That and it's 2023. I don't actually care about disk space all that much. It's dirt cheap, even for NVMe M.2 storage.

KGIII
I don't actually care about disk space all that much. It's dirt cheap, even for NVMe M.2 storage.
Yes, I understand that's true of course. It's the smaller embedded systems or boutique bootable limited purpose created live usbs where it would count in my case.

KGIII

Yes, I understand that's true of course. It's the smaller embedded systems or boutique bootable limited purpose created live usbs where it would count in my case.

In that case, I'd worry more about the RAM. Idle, it consumes about 100 mb of RAM.

In that case, I'd worry more about the RAM. Idle, it consumes about 100 mb of RAM.
Fortunately I don't have to be concerned so much about the RAM because the RAM isn't on the usb stick, so the stick will be used in computers of various RAM sizes.

Fortunately I don't have to be concerned so much about the RAM because the RAM isn't on the usb stick, so the stick will be used in computers of various RAM sizes.

The only time I use a live instance is when I'm doing my Lubuntu testing or I'm installing. Oddly, I do pretty much all of the project's live testing - even though I don't use it live. It was just a niche that needed filling, so that's what I do. (Lubuntu is the most thoroughly, or at least frequently, tested of the Ubuntu distros - and it's just two of us that do it daily. We're just really consistent.)

I should probably spend some time in a few OSes that are meant to be run from a USB. I should see how far they've come.

Yeah, that'd be trivial to do in a VM.

Members online