Ubuntu 22.04 WiFi driver not found: Mediatek mt7921e

Kosha

Reaction score
Credits
Hi everyone,

I'm sort of newbie in Ubuntu and I've installed Ubuntu 22.04.2 on my desktop.
I have a problem, "No Wifi adaptor found".
I tried to google about it and tried some of solutions but nothing helped.
My uname -r:
1689357672536.png

My inxi -N output is:
1689357579254.png

But still the errors on place:

1689357487407.png

Will be highly appreciate for any help!

Sincerely.
Kosha

Attachments

• 1689357541421.png
    1689357541421.png
    41.6 KB · Views: 274

Welcome to the forums
can you post the FULL report of inxi -Nnz ?

I hate Mediatek they cause more problems than RTL, I was expecting a second line on device 2 saying state up or down.
I assume its a laptop of some sort. Occasionally when installing Linux on some machines, it will go into hard block [quite common on Acer] as it is showing a mt driver installed, First thing is to check if a hard block [flight mode] is activated.

It's a desktop. No flight mode is activated and Bluetooth does works(not perfectly but probably it due to my hedphones)
Most funny that previously I was able to fix it by some solution from internet about coople of weeks ago and just about an hour ago reisnstalled OS and failed into this problem and can't find some solution which could help

I have had a look round. This chipset has been causing problems since it was released, Seen several suggestions from building your own drivers, to changing the wi-fi for a more common one, to updating to the 6.4.3 kernel another option may be trying a different distribution MX-21 AHS for example.

Yeah, kernel I indeed updated and now it 6.4.3-060403-generic, but no luck yet, what does mean two other options " changing the wi-fi for a more common one" and "trying a different distribution MX-21 AHS", please?

changing the wi-fi for a more common one"
Taking out the mediatek and replacing with a known compatible card or if its on board [built in] using a usb wi-fi dongle with known to work with Linux
"trying a different distribution MX-21 AHS"
Mx21-AHS is a distribution with a wider range of latest drivers than most other distribution, down load and run it live from a pen-drive [as if you were trying before installing] and see if your wi-fi works with it. If it works, you may consider changing to it.

Are you dual booting with Windows? If so completely Power Off the Windows instead of using a Reboot. When cold boot is initiated, the adapter should be initialized correctly by Linux kernel. Also make sure "Fast Boot" is turned off in the BIOS

Are you dual booting with Windows? If so completely Power Off the Windows instead of using a Reboot. When cold boot is initiated, the adapter should be initialized correctly by Linux kernel. Also make sure "Fast Boot" is turned off in the BIOS
I have dual boot, and before reinstall the ubuntu seems I booted into windows by mistake in boot manager, but not sure if did restart or hard turn off as it my favorite in such cases, but I feel hard reset and reboot would work pretty same for such case... And around this time I was also playing with fast boot...
I see I did everything to mess up my comp
Will try your suggestion tomorrow, thank you

I have had a look round. This chipset has been causing problems since it was released, Seen several suggestions from building your own drivers, to changing the wi-fi for a more common one, to updating to the 6.4.3 kernel another option may be trying a different distribution MX-21 AHS for example.

Do you know where I can get a driver sources to build it on my OS? I assume that you mention?

Just update me.
Which kernel have you now got installed? Have you done a full re-boot since you started?
Did you disable windows fast boot [quick start]

Just update me.
Which kernel have you now got installed? Have you done a full re-boot since you started?
Did you disable windows fast boot [quick start]
Kernel 6.4.3(full command output in firsts post)
Fast boot disabled
Restarts done many times

I don't think these will make any difference but always worth a try run them in order

sudo apt update && apt --fix-missing
sudo apt update && apt --fix-broken
finally
sudo apt update && apt upgrade
and re-boot

the command

lspci -knn | grep -iA3 net

may show a few things that could help. this is from my system as an example:

Code:
lspci -knn | grep -iA3 net
03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Wireless 7260 [8086:08b2] (rev 83)
    Subsystem: Intel Corporation Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 [8086:c270]
    Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
    Kernel modules: iwlwifi, wl

it sounds like your driver may not be loading correctly or at all so you may not have a "Kernel driver in use" line. you could try using the pci bus number (03:00.0 in my example) and driver to search for system journal messages about the adapter or driver with a command like

journalctl -b | grep -iE '03:00.0|mt7921e'

you would want to replace 03:00.0 with the pci bus of your adapter if it is different. i used the driver (mt7921e) from your inxi output. if you get something different from lspci, you could try that or both.

Check the bios. I had the same problem on a HP elitebook G655 , and i solved it by disable an bios option ' preboot wifi'
its used for 'wake-on-wlan'

Thanx guys for the solution! same problem on HP ZBook 14 G10A
I disabled BIOS: "preboot wifi" and "fast boot". now it works perfectly!

Members online