Ubuntu boot errors

Gybbs

Reaction score
Credits
Hi! I'm a new Ubuntu user (I'm just starting out), and after spending hours and hours configuring my system, I noticed that my PC was taking much longer to shut down (not even 5 seconds at first, compared with over two minutes now). I asked some AIs, and they advised me to use the following command to list the various errors since my last boot: journalctl -rb 0 -p 0..3
Here's the output I got:
mars 25 20:12:17 gybbs gdm-launch-environment][895]: GLib-GObject: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
mars 25 20:12:15 gybbs systemd[1396]: Failed to start Application launched by gnome-session-binary.
mars 25 20:12:15 gybbs systemd[1396]: Failed to start Application launched by gnome-session-binary.
mars 25 20:12:14 gybbs gdm-password][1379]: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file
mars 25 20:10:52 gybbs pulseaudio[948]: Module module-bluetooth-discover not loaded.
mars 25 20:10:52 gybbs pulseaudio[948]: Module module-bluetooth-policy not loaded.
mars 25 20:10:52 gybbs gnome-session-binary[980]: GLib-GIO-CRITICAL: g_bus_get_sync: assertion 'error == NULL || *error == NULL' failed
mars 25 20:10:52 gybbs gnome-session-binary[980]: GLib-GIO-CRITICAL: g_bus_get_sync: assertion 'error == NULL || *error == NULL' failed

Does anyone know how to fix these problems? And please explain them to me! ^^'

Thanks for your help (and sorry if the topic is in the wrong category)!

Hi & Welcome to Linux.org-:)

Looks like you are not the only Linux Ubuntu user experiencing this-

-For the 'unable to locate daemon control file' error it could be that the environment variable isn't set or other Gnome extensions and other lib's may be missing or not updated.

-To fix the module that is not loading for the bluetooth device you'll have to run lsmod to find out which module it is.
Then dmesg the module to see what's causing the driver not to load.

The other issue 'GLib-GIO-CRITICAL: g_bus' is a bug from what I understand and I haven't found a fix for it as of yet while looking online to assist you.

IF you installed Ubuntu and allowed it to take over your pc and it removed Windows you will need to go into your BIOS and disable 'quick boot' and 'fast boot'.

Another alternative:
Installing another DE like Mate, Cinnamon, Budgie, XFCE or KDE would give you another option to run your system.

When I tried to run Gnome (GDM) I had all kinds of functionality issues so I installed the Cinnamon DE and the problems vanished.

Moving this to Distribution Specific - Ubuntu

Welcome, @Gybbs

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

The article linked by my friend Alex above may remedy the problem, that is, to run updates and upgrades on the new install.

The other issue 'GLib-GIO-CRITICAL: g_bus' is a bug from what I understand and I haven't found a fix for it as of yet while looking online to assist you.

If the updates go fine, that will likely be fixed too, as there is a mention of gnome-session-binary with those lines.

If the OP continues to have slow startup and/or shutdown, I would be looking at two culprits, and I can explain workarounds should that occur.

One relates to a file where we can change the timing of startup and shutdown jobs.

The other relates to unattended-upgrades, which we can switch off.

See how you go with the updates, and let us know.

Cheers

Wizard

The article linked by my friend Alex above may remedy the problem, that is, to run updates and upgrades on the new install.

If the updates go fine, that will likely be fixed too, as there is a mention of gnome-session-binary with those lines.

If the OP continues to have slow startup and/or shutdown, I would be looking at two culprits, and I can explain workarounds should that occur.

One relates to a file where we can change the timing of startup and shutdown jobs.

Cheers

Wizard
:) I've had my share of unattended-upgrades running Debian all these years. Sometimes the latest and greatest isn't something to write home about.

Last edited:
mars 25 20:12:14 gybbs gdm-password][1379]: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file
This message "can be safely ignored" if there are no other related issues [2].

after spending hours and hours configuring my system, I noticed that my PC was taking much longer to shut down (not even 5 seconds at first, compared with over two minutes now).
What settings did you change/configure, if it was fast before then one of the settings you changed may have had an effect on something?

Last edited:
Have a look in the Power section under the Gnome Settings.

Found a good reference to have about Gnome on the Arch Linux WiKi.

Is your Gnome DE running under X11 or under Wayland @Gybbs?

Okay, we'll take it one step at a time lol. First of all, thank you for your warm welcome! :)

Hi & Welcome to Linux.org-

Looks like you are not the only Linux Ubuntu user experiencing this-

-For the 'unable to locate daemon control file' error it could be that the environment variable isn't set or other Gnome extensions and other lib's may be missing or not updated.

-To fix the module that is not loading for the bluetooth device you'll have to run lsmod to find out which module it is.
Then dmesg the module to see what's causing the driver not to load.

IF you installed Ubuntu and allowed it to take over your pc and it removed Windows you will need to go into your BIOS and disable 'quick boot' and 'fast boot'.

Another alternative:
Installing another DE like Mate, Cinnamon, Budgie, XFCE or KDE would give you another option to run your system.

When I tried to run Gnome (GDM) I had all kinds of functionality issues so I installed the Cinnamon DE and the problems vanished.
Regarding the Bluetooth issue, my fixed PC is not equipped with Bluetooth capabilities and I don't intend to use Bluetooth devices, so is this issue still relevant?
Secondly, yes I have installed Linux to overwrite Win11, but before disabling 'quick boot' and 'fast boot', could I know what differences there will be before and after disabling please?
Finally, if I change DE, will my applications, scripts, configurations and settings established with GNOME be deleted? Thank you.

Cheers

Wizard
When I enter the command: journalctl -xe | grep "gnome-canary-session", I get nothing? I've updated the packages anyway, but unfortunately this doesn't solve my problems :/
Here's the output I got:
gybbs@pc-home:~$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
[sudo] Mot de passe de gybbs :
Atteint :1 http://dz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy InRelease
Atteint :2 https://deb.opera.com/opera-stable stable InRelease
Atteint :3 http://dz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-updates InRelease
Atteint :4 http://dz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-backports InRelease
Atteint :5 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-security InRelease
Lecture des listes de paquets... Fait
Construction de l'arbre des dépendances... Fait
Lecture des informations d'état... Fait
Calcul de la mise à jour... Fait
0 mis à jour, 0 nouvellement installés, 0 à enlever et 0 non mis à jour.
gybbs@pc-home:~$
Thank you.

What settings did you change/configure, if it was fast before then one of the settings you changed may have had an effect on something?
So, a lot of things concerning security and the suggestions/warnings from my "audit system" (carried out with Lynis), I've been busy haha. Thank you.

Last edited:
So, a lot of things concerning security and the suggestions/warnings from my "audit system" (carried out with Lynis), I've been busy haha. Thank you.
You don't need to run lynis on a desktop system, lynis is more of a audit tool for systems that are directly reachable from the internet such as webservers. Check the target audience.

Warm welcome's are what we extent here.....so, you're welcome!

The difference that you should have should you decide to disable 'quick boot' and 'fast boot' will be how quickly your machine will boot up. Our member @Brickwizard may be able to provide you with more details on that.

AFAIK, installing another DE should not have effect your arrangements/configurations that you set up and have established under Gnome. Nor should it delete them.
Each DE has it's own settings and functionality that perform and run based on the settings in the configuration that you arrange.

My old Debian 12 installation with the Gnome and Cinnamom DE's installed worked well and kept the configurations that I set up.
Some of my applications however; under Gnome would not launch so I had to boot into the Cinnamon DE to use them.

Thanks for confirming your Gnome DE is operating under Wayland.

@Brickwizard may be able to provide you with more details on that.
Secure boot can be left on a growing number of distributions, but it is no way universal.
Fast boot [windows quick-start] will always override other distributions so needs to be disabled, on many machines to do this will require a completed full power re-start.

I've updated the packages anyway, but unfortunately this doesn't solve my problems :/

@Gybbs , so can you tell us what problems remain?

You are getting no errors, your system seems to be up to date.

Is it the startup and shutdown times taken?

Cheers

Wizard

So, a lot of things concerning security and the suggestions/warnings from my "audit system" (carried out with Lynis

unattended-upgrades
running under X11 or under Wayland .....Wayland

That adds up to a lot of unknowns......no record of the changes, and can I assume you do not have Timeshift enabled ?

@Gybbs :) -

Brickwizard confirmed in post #12 that Fast Boot will have to be disabled. Have you had the chance to do that in your BIOS?
Our Moderator asked in post #13 two questions, kindly give details when you can as that will help us to assist you.

Can you confirm any adjustments or changes on the configurations of your Ubuntu installation?
Is Timeshift active on your system and you already have the first snapshot of your system saved?

So, a lot of things concerning security and the suggestions/warnings from my "audit system" (carried out with Lynis

running under X11 or under Wayland .....Wayland

That adds up to a lot of unknowns......no record of the changes, and can I assume you do not have Timeshift enabled ?
OP confirmed that Wayland has control of his Gnome DE in post #9. :)

I can only hope that Timeshift was initialized and took the first snapshot of the fresh installation.

Not knowing what changes where made in the Gnome Settings MGR is the very thing like you said, 'unknowns' that is holding our Team back from helping.
Another thought: is this a module/driver issue? Nvidia perhaps?

As of Debian 9 the unattended-upgrades are installed by default and under Gnome the upgrades are enabled.
Those upgrades have to be configured by 'apt' or the Software & Update MGR.

Ubuntu 22.04.4 Jammy Jellyfish is based on Debian 12 Bookworm.
I look forward to the details OP can give when he has the time.

Last edited:
Hi! Sorry for the late reply, I've got a lot on my plate at the moment, but anyway... I'm here to answer you!
@Gybbs , so can you tell us what problems remain?

You are getting no errors, your system seems to be up to date.

Is it the startup and shutdown times taken?

Cheers

Wizard
When I talk about errors, I'm talking about those that occur at startup (which I check with journalctl -rb 0 -p 0..3) and as I really don't know much about Ubuntu, I don't know how serious these errors are (according to some AIs, they're considered "critical", which scares me a bit, I'm not going to lie to you).

As for Timeshift, I don't know what it is, so could you please explain what it is and how to check if it's enabled (and by the same token, why)?

Can you confirm any adjustments or changes on the configurations of your Ubuntu installation?
At the time of Ubuntu installation or afterwards (until today)? Sorry it's a bit fuzzy for me ^^'

If you have any further questions for me (I'll be happy to answer them), please make your point as if you were talking to a child who really doesn't know anything about Linux, thanks for your help anyway!

Oh and, I almost forgot, here's a new release for the sudo apt update/upgrade command, if it helps:
gybbs@pc-home:~$ sudo apt update
Atteint :2 http://dz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-updates InRelease
Atteint :3 http://dz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-backports InRelease
Atteint :4 https://deb.opera.com/opera-stable stable InRelease
9 paquets peuvent être mis à jour. Exécutez « apt list --upgradable » pour les voir.
lizom@lizom:~$ apt list --upgradable
En train de lister... Fait
libpulse-mainloop-glib0/jammy-updates 1:15.99.1+dfsg1-1ubuntu2.2 amd64 [pouvant être mis à jour depuis : 1:15.99.1+dfsg1-1ubuntu2.1]
libpulse0/jammy-updates 1:15.99.1+dfsg1-1ubuntu2.2 amd64 [pouvant être mis à jour depuis : 1:15.99.1+dfsg1-1ubuntu2.1]
libpulsedsp/jammy-updates 1:15.99.1+dfsg1-1ubuntu2.2 amd64 [pouvant être mis à jour depuis : 1:15.99.1+dfsg1-1ubuntu2.1]
pulseaudio-module-bluetooth/jammy-updates 1:15.99.1+dfsg1-1ubuntu2.2 amd64 [pouvant être mis à jour depuis : 1:15.99.1+dfsg1-1ubuntu2.1]
pulseaudio-utils/jammy-updates 1:15.99.1+dfsg1-1ubuntu2.2 amd64 [pouvant être mis à jour depuis : 1:15.99.1+dfsg1-1ubuntu2.1]
pulseaudio/jammy-updates 1:15.99.1+dfsg1-1ubuntu2.2 amd64 [pouvant être mis à jour depuis : 1:15.99.1+dfsg1-1ubuntu2.1]
snapd/jammy-updates 2.61.3+22.04 amd64 [pouvant être mis à jour depuis : 2.58+22.04.1]
update-notifier-common/jammy-updates,jammy-updates 3.192.54.8 all [pouvant être mis à jour depuis : 3.192.54.6]
update-notifier/jammy-updates 3.192.54.8 amd64 [pouvant être mis à jour depuis : 3.192.54.6]
gybbs@pc-home:~$ sudo apt upgrade
Les paquets suivants ont été conservés :
libpulse-mainloop-glib0 libpulse0 libpulsedsp pulseaudio
pulseaudio-module-bluetooth pulseaudio-utils snapd update-notifier
update-notifier-common
0 mis à jour, 0 nouvellement installés, 0 à enlever et 9 non mis à jour.

Hi! Sorry for the late reply, I've got a lot on my plate at the moment, but anyway... I'm here to answer you!

When I talk about errors, I'm talking about those that occur at startup (which I check with journalctl -rb 0 -p 0..3) and as I really don't know much about Ubuntu, I don't know how serious these errors are (according to some AIs, they're considered "critical", which scares me a bit, I'm not going to lie to you).

As for Timeshift, I don't know what it is, so could you please explain what it is and how to check if it's enabled (and by the same token, why)?

At the time of Ubuntu installation or afterwards (until today)? Sorry it's a bit fuzzy for me ^^'

If you have any further questions for me (I'll be happy to answer them), please make your point as if you were talking to a child who really doesn't know anything about Linux, thanks for your help anyway!

Oh and, I almost forgot, here's a new release for the sudo apt update/upgrade command, if it helps:
gybbs@pc-home:~$ sudo apt update
Atteint :2 http://dz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-updates InRelease
Atteint :3 http://dz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-backports InRelease
Atteint :4 https://deb.opera.com/opera-stable stable InRelease
9 paquets peuvent être mis à jour. Exécutez « apt list --upgradable » pour les voir.
lizom@lizom:~$ apt list --upgradable
En train de lister... Fait
libpulse-mainloop-glib0/jammy-updates 1:15.99.1+dfsg1-1ubuntu2.2 amd64 [pouvant être mis à jour depuis : 1:15.99.1+dfsg1-1ubuntu2.1]
libpulse0/jammy-updates 1:15.99.1+dfsg1-1ubuntu2.2 amd64 [pouvant être mis à jour depuis : 1:15.99.1+dfsg1-1ubuntu2.1]
libpulsedsp/jammy-updates 1:15.99.1+dfsg1-1ubuntu2.2 amd64 [pouvant être mis à jour depuis : 1:15.99.1+dfsg1-1ubuntu2.1]
pulseaudio-module-bluetooth/jammy-updates 1:15.99.1+dfsg1-1ubuntu2.2 amd64 [pouvant être mis à jour depuis : 1:15.99.1+dfsg1-1ubuntu2.1]
pulseaudio-utils/jammy-updates 1:15.99.1+dfsg1-1ubuntu2.2 amd64 [pouvant être mis à jour depuis : 1:15.99.1+dfsg1-1ubuntu2.1]
pulseaudio/jammy-updates 1:15.99.1+dfsg1-1ubuntu2.2 amd64 [pouvant être mis à jour depuis : 1:15.99.1+dfsg1-1ubuntu2.1]
snapd/jammy-updates 2.61.3+22.04 amd64 [pouvant être mis à jour depuis : 2.58+22.04.1]
update-notifier-common/jammy-updates,jammy-updates 3.192.54.8 all [pouvant être mis à jour depuis : 3.192.54.6]
update-notifier/jammy-updates 3.192.54.8 amd64 [pouvant être mis à jour depuis : 3.192.54.6]
gybbs@pc-home:~$ sudo apt upgrade
Les paquets suivants ont été conservés :
libpulse-mainloop-glib0 libpulse0 libpulsedsp pulseaudio
pulseaudio-module-bluetooth pulseaudio-utils snapd update-notifier
update-notifier-common
0 mis à jour, 0 nouvellement installés, 0 à enlever et 9 non mis à jour.
Sorry to hear you have a lot going on. I get it-

Are the errors that you have already posted, still occurring after the update and upgrade that you just did?
Reboot your system friend if you haven't and come back and let us know if those errors are still going on.

I had to use Google translate to confirm and nouvellement installés, 0 à enlever et 9 non mis à jour means that 0 are newly installed, 0 to remove and 9 not updated.

You mentioned that it was a tad fuzzy before and after you installed Ubuntu.
Do you remember changing any of the settings? themes? etc.?

If Timeshift was enabled it would of walked you through a set up. It looks like this:
Timeshift.png

Do you recall doing that?

Timeshift is a program to make system back ups and snaphots of your Ubuntu system.
To find out if Timeshift is installed on your system run this command:
Code:
dpkg -L timeshift

If the command-line returns and says that Timeshift is not installed then install it with:
Code:
sudo apt install timeshift

OR> go to your Gnome Software MGR and install it that way.

To answer your question why to Timeshift.....the program can restore your system to the way it was before (a previous time) any of the problems started happening. A good tool to keep in your shed for when things go wrong.

Ok, thanks. I don't have Timeshift installed on my machine.
I have a question: if I uninstall/reinstall Ubuntu to factory state, my problems will logically be solved. Because I've been doing a lot of testing, changing, uninstalling and reinstalling third-party services/packages in a lot of different ways, and I think that's what's been causing me all my problems (removing packages that are useful for the system to work properly, for example?). So I'd like some advice on the best way to do it (a clean install), and if there's any software/services I should install/configure for better security (iptables, ufw/firewalld, clamonacc/OnAccessScan, fail2ban, rkhunter/chkrootkit, timeshift...)? Thank you very much for your help.

Latest posts