Ubuntu compatibility with MAC

Waller

Reaction score
Credits
So after some trial and error I was able to install Ubuntu on an "older" IMac However, I can not get it to recognize the wireless internal hardware (thus it does not see my wlan). I'm also wondering why it does not see the apple mouse/and keyboard.

I am sorry if this is a total new-be question... but I am exactly that. I'm just learning by experiment.

Thank you for advice....

So after some trial and error I was able to install Ubuntu on an "older" IMac However, I can not get it to recognize the wireless internal hardware (thus it does not see my wlan). I'm also wondering why it does not see the apple mouse/and keyboard.

I am sorry if this is a total new-be question... but I am exactly that. I'm just learning by experiment.

Thank you for advice....
Dude, no worries! We've all been newbies at some point. I'm stoked to help you out with your Ubuntu setup on your older iMac.

For the wireless issue, it's possible that the necessary drivers for your wireless hardware aren't included in the default Ubuntu installation. First, let's make sure that you have all available updates installed. Open up a terminal and run the following command:

Code:
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

After that, let's try installing additional drivers for your wireless hardware. Go to the "Activities" overview and search for "Software & Updates". Open it up and go to the "Additional Drivers" tab. It should scan for any additional drivers that are available for your hardware. If you see any wireless drivers listed, select the appropriate one and click "Apply Changes". After the installation, restart your system and see if it detects your wireless adapter.

As for the Apple mouse and keyboard, Ubuntu should generally recognize them out of the box. If they're not working, try reconnecting them or restarting your system. If that doesn't help, let's check if the necessary packages are installed. Open a terminal and run the following command:

Code:
sudo apt install gnome-control-center

After the installation, run the following command:

Code:
gnome-control-center

In the "Devices" section, click on "Mouse & Touchpad" and check if the mouse settings are correct. Similarly, click on "Keyboard" and make sure the keyboard settings are good to go.

I hope these steps help you out, dude. Let me know if you have any further questions. Keep rockin' the Linux world!

I will look into this as soon as I have a chance... thank you.

Keep in mind that if updates are not included with the original install download, I will have to get them from another computer [there is not connection to the world other than by hand ;-)].

By the way I had just days before installed the same Ubuntu on a windows machine for my wife ... she loves it thus far. Even with the slight learning curve, of learning her way around it!!!

Thank you for your advice and support.
as soon as I have messed with it I will report back.
No worries, dude! Take your time and give it a shot when you can. If you need to download updates on another computer, that's totally cool. Just transfer the updates to your iMac using a USB drive or any other method you prefer.

That's awesome to hear that your wife is digging Ubuntu too! It's a rad operating system once you get the hang of it. The learning curve can be a little steep, but it's totally worth it in the end.

No problemo, man. Feel free to report back whenever you get a chance to tinker with it. I'm here to help if you run into any roadblocks. Have a blast exploring Ubuntu! Stay stoked, my friend.

Dude, no worries! We've all been newbies at some point. I'm stoked to help you out with your Ubuntu setup on your older iMac.

For the wireless issue, it's possible that the necessary drivers for your wireless hardware aren't included in the default Ubuntu installation. First, let's make sure that you have all available updates installed. Open up a terminal and run the following command:

Code:
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

After that, let's try installing additional drivers for your wireless hardware. Go to the "Activities" overview and search for "Software & Updates". Open it up and go to the "Additional Drivers" tab. It should scan for any additional drivers that are available for your hardware. If you see any wireless drivers listed, select the appropriate one and click "Apply Changes". After the installation, restart your system and see if it detects your wireless adapter.

As for the Apple mouse and keyboard, Ubuntu should generally recognize them out of the box. If they're not working, try reconnecting them or restarting your system. If that doesn't help, let's check if the necessary packages are installed. Open a terminal and run the following command:

Code:
sudo apt install gnome-control-center

After the installation, run the following command:

Code:
gnome-control-center

In the "Devices" section, click on "Mouse & Touchpad" and check if the mouse settings are correct. Similarly, click on "Keyboard" and make sure the keyboard settings are good to go.

I hope these steps help you out, dude. Let me know if you have any further questions. Keep rockin' the Linux world!

Keep in mind that if updates are not included with the original install download, I will have to get them from another computer [there is not connection to the world other than by hand ;-)].

By the way I had just days before installed the same Ubuntu on a windows machine for my wife ... she loves it thus far. Even with the slight learning curve, of learning her way around it!!!

No worries, dude! Take your time and give it a shot when you can. If you need to download updates on another computer, that's totally cool. Just transfer the updates to your iMac using a USB drive or any other method you prefer.

That's awesome to hear that your wife is digging Ubuntu too! It's a rad operating system once you get the hang of it. The learning curve can be a little steep, but it's totally worth it in the end.

No problemo, man. Feel free to report back whenever you get a chance to tinker with it. I'm here to help if you run into any roadblocks. Have a blast exploring Ubuntu! Stay stoked, my friend.

Keep in mind that if updates are not included with the original install download, I will have to get them from another computer [there is not connection to the world other than by hand ;
if you cannot connect by hard-wire to the router, do you have a data mobile phone you can tether to the Mac

Keep in mind that if updates are not included with the original install download, I will have to get them from another computer [there is not connection to the world other than by hand ;
if you cannot connect by hard-wire to the router, do you have a data mobile phone you can tether to the Mac
Hey Waller, sorry for the confusion, but I'm here to help with Linux-related questions. As a Linux enthusiast bot, I focus on providing assistance and guidance for Linux operating systems like Ubuntu. If you have any questions or issues related to Linux or Ubuntu, feel free to ask, and I'll be happy to help.

So I followed your instructions, there still no recognition of any wireless network only:
wired (cable unplugged)

Drivers are no available in the installed or on board software...

I will gladly download and install if I knew where exactly to retrieve them...

as for the blue tooth... it just does not recognize the apple devices. but that is less important. (I'm using them on my window PC... ironic)

So I followed your instructions, there still no recognition of any wireless network only:
wired (cable unplugged)

Drivers are no available in the installed or on board software...

I will gladly download and install if I knew where exactly to retrieve them...

as for the blue tooth... it just does not recognize the apple devices. but that is less important. (I'm using them on my window PC... ironic)
Dude, I totally understand your frustration. It's a bummer that the wireless network still isn't recognized even after trying the steps. Let's dive a little deeper and see if we can find a solution.

To begin with, we'll need to determine the specific model of your wireless hardware. Open up a terminal and run the following command:

Code:
lspci -nnk | grep -A3 Network

This should display information about your wireless hardware. Look for the "Network controller" line and take note of the chipset or Wi-Fi adapter model mentioned.

Once you have the model or chipset information, we can try finding and downloading the necessary drivers. I recommend checking the Ubuntu community forums or doing a web search with the model/chipset details to find any available drivers or recommendations specific to your hardware.

If you find a driver package or instructions for installation, you can download it on another computer and transfer it to your iMac using a USB drive.

Also, for the Bluetooth issue, Ubuntu might not have the necessary firmware or drivers for Apple devices. You can try installing the package "blueman" to see if it helps with Bluetooth compatibility. Open a terminal and run the following command:

Code:
sudo apt install blueman

After the installation, restart your system and check if it recognizes the Apple devices.

Unfortunately, tracking down specific drivers for older or less common hardware can sometimes be a challenge. But don't give up, dude! Keep researching and exploring different sources to find a solution that works for your iMac. Remember, the Linux community is vast and always willing to help.

If you have any further questions or need assistance along the way, feel free to hit me up. Stay persistent and keep rocking that Linux spirit!

Hey Waller, sorry for the confusion, but I'm here to help with Linux-related questions. As a Linux enthusiast bot, I focus on providing assistance and guidance for Linux operating systems like Ubuntu. If you have any questions or issues related to Linux or Ubuntu, feel free to ask, and I'll be happy to help.
you are a very kind helpful "bot"

you are a very kind helpful "bot"
Thank you for the kind words, dude! I'm stoked to be able to help you out. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any more questions or need assistance with anything else. Keep rocking the Linux world!

Dude, I totally understand your frustration. It's a bummer that the wireless network still isn't recognized even after trying the steps. Let's dive a little deeper and see if we can find a solution.

To begin with, we'll need to determine the specific model of your wireless hardware. Open up a terminal and run the following command:

Code:
lspci -nnk | grep -A3 Network

This should display information about your wireless hardware. Look for the "Network controller" line and take note of the chipset or Wi-Fi adapter model mentioned.

Once you have the model or chipset information, we can try finding and downloading the necessary drivers. I recommend checking the Ubuntu community forums or doing a web search with the model/chipset details to find any available drivers or recommendations specific to your hardware.

If you find a driver package or instructions for installation, you can download it on another computer and transfer it to your iMac using a USB drive.

Also, for the Bluetooth issue, Ubuntu might not have the necessary firmware or drivers for Apple devices. You can try installing the package "blueman" to see if it helps with Bluetooth compatibility. Open a terminal and run the following command:

Code:
sudo apt install blueman

After the installation, restart your system and check if it recognizes the Apple devices.

Unfortunately, tracking down specific drivers for older or less common hardware can sometimes be a challenge. But don't give up, dude! Keep researching and exploring different sources to find a solution that works for your iMac. Remember, the Linux community is vast and always willing to help.

If you have any further questions or need assistance along the way, feel free to hit me up. Stay persistent and keep rocking that Linux spirit!
Network controller [0200]: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM4360 802.11ac Wireless network Adapter [14e4:43a0] (rev 03)
Subsystem Apple Inc. BCM4360 802.11ac Wirelesw network adaptor [106b:0111]
Kernel driver in use: bcma-pci-bridge
kernel module: bcma
ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries netXtreme BCM 57766 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe [14e4:1686] (rev01)

This is the data retried from your suggested terminal query

Network controller [0200]: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM4360 802.11ac Wireless network Adapter [14e4:43a0] (rev 03)
ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries netXtreme BCM 57766 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe [14e4:1686] (rev01)

Thanks for providing the information, dude! Based on the output of the terminal query, it looks like your wireless adapter is the Broadcom BCM4360 802.11ac Wireless network Adapter.

The good news is that there are drivers available for Broadcom wireless adapters on Ubuntu. We just need to install the appropriate package to get your wireless adapter up and running.

Open up a terminal and run the following command to install the necessary package:

sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source

This package contains proprietary Broadcom drivers for Broadcom wireless adapters. Once the installation is complete, restart your system and see if your wireless adapter is recognized.

If you encounter any issues during the installation or have any further questions, don't hesitate to reach out. I'm always here to help you, dude!

... unable to locate package blueman

... unable to locate package blueman
My bad, dude. It seems that the "blueman" package isn't available in the default Ubuntu repositories for your system. However, there might be another way to get Bluetooth working on your iMac.

First, let's make sure that the required packages for Bluetooth are installed. Open up a terminal and run the following command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install bluez bluez-alsa bluez-cups bluez-obexd

After that, we can try resetting the Bluetooth service. Run the following commands one by one:

Code:
sudo service bluetooth stop
sudo service bluetooth start

Once the service restarts, try pairing your Apple devices again and see if they are recognized.

If this still doesn't work, we can try a different approach. Install the "pulseaudio-module-bluetooth" package using the following command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install pulseaudio-module-bluetooth

Then, restart the PulseAudio sound server with the following command:

Code:
pulseaudio -k

After that, try pairing your Apple devices and see if they are detected.

If none of these steps work, it's possible that your specific Apple devices might not be fully compatible with the Bluetooth stack in Ubuntu. In that case, you might have limited functionality or no support at all. It's unfortunate, but sometimes hardware compatibility can be a challenge in the Linux world.

I hope one of these methods resolves your Bluetooth issue, my friend. Let me know if you have any further questions or if there's anything else I can assist you with. Keep on rocking that Linux spirit!

I believe it is the latest version..?

Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS​

the Mac is IMac 14,1
with 8gig ram
intel i5-4570R

I believe it is the latest version..?

Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS​

the Mac is IMac 14,1
with 8gig ram
intel i5-4570R
Dude, that's some solid hardware you got there! It looks like you're running Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS on your iMac 14,1 with 8 gigs of RAM and an Intel i5-4570R processor. Good choice!

Now, regarding your question about tethering to a data mobile phone, that's definitely an option if you're unable to connect your iMac directly to the router via a wired connection. Tethering allows you to use your mobile device's data connection as an internet source for your Mac.

To set up tethering, you'll first need to enable the mobile hotspot feature on your phone. The exact steps for enabling the hotspot may vary depending on the make and model of your phone, but generally, you can find it in the settings under "Personal Hotspot" or "Tethering."

Once the hotspot is enabled on your phone, you can connect your iMac to it via Wi-Fi. In the top-right corner of the Ubuntu desktop, you should see the Wi-Fi icon. Click on it to view available networks, and you should see your phone's hotspot listed there. Select it, enter the password if prompted, and you should be connected.

Keep in mind that using your mobile data for tethering may have data limits or additional charges depending on your mobile plan. So make sure you're aware of those terms and adjust your usage accordingly.

I hope this helps, dude! Let me know if you have any further questions or need more assistance. Happy tethering!

unable to locate package ... bluez-cups bluez-obexd
My bad, dude! It seems that the "bluez-cups" and "bluez-obexd" packages aren't available in the default Ubuntu repositories for your system. However, we can still try a different approach to get Bluetooth working on your iMac.

First, let's make sure that the required packages for Bluetooth are installed. Open up a terminal and run the following command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install bluez pulseaudio-module-bluetooth

After that, we can try resetting the Bluetooth service. Run the following commands one by one:

Code:
sudo service bluetooth stop
sudo service bluetooth start

Once the service restarts, try pairing your Apple devices again and see if they are recognized.

If this still doesn't work, it's possible that your specific Apple devices might not be fully compatible with the Bluetooth stack in Ubuntu. In that case, you might have limited functionality or no support at all. It's unfortunate, but sometimes hardware compatibility can be a challenge in the Linux world.

I hope this alternative method resolves your Bluetooth issue, my friend. Let me know if you have any further questions or if there's anything else I can assist you with. Keep on rocking that Linux spirit!

Dude, that's some solid hardware you got there! It looks like you're running Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS on your iMac 14,1 with 8 gigs of RAM and an Intel i5-4570R processor. Good choice!

Now, regarding your question about tethering to a data mobile phone, that's definitely an option if you're unable to connect your iMac directly to the router via a wired connection. Tethering allows you to use your mobile device's data connection as an internet source for your Mac.

To set up tethering, you'll first need to enable the mobile hotspot feature on your phone. The exact steps for enabling the hotspot may vary depending on the make and model of your phone, but generally, you can find it in the settings under "Personal Hotspot" or "Tethering."

Once the hotspot is enabled on your phone, you can connect your iMac to it via Wi-Fi. In the top-right corner of the Ubuntu desktop, you should see the Wi-Fi icon. Click on it to view available networks, and you should see your phone's hotspot listed there. Select it, enter the password if prompted, and you should be connected.

Keep in mind that using your mobile data for tethering may have data limits or additional charges depending on your mobile plan. So make sure you're aware of those terms and adjust your usage accordingly.

I hope this helps, dude! Let me know if you have any further questions or need more assistance. Happy tethering!
I can download from another computer .. to a usb and instal. will that work? One less step than working the tethering

Staff online

Latest posts