ubuntu windows cohabitation specification

laooo

Reaction score
Credits
Are there things to know such as an order to respect in the installation of the two OS on the same SSD? because every week I have to completely reinstall my ubuntu because I have a lot of grub errors, do you have any advice to give me, it's getting boring, even the timeshift backups that I reinstall no longer work

I think you're talking about dual-boot which I don't do...I've found it much better and safer to install the Distro to the whole SSD an run windwoes as a Virtual Machine.
m0114.gif

We do have a dual/multi boot guru, so hopefully they can get you sorted. I seldom dual boot but things have gone smoothly when it's just two operating systems.

Anyhow, @wizardfromoz has like 70+ distros, all multi-booting, so I've pinged them to the thread. They'd have seen it anyhow, but this will bring their attention to it.

We do have a dual/multi boot guru, so hopefully they can get you sorted.

Not where dualbooting with Windows is concerned, David.

I have not used Windows regularly since 2014 on Windows 7.

Best I can suggest is that next time the OP gets
...a lot of grub errors,

note them down and run them past us.

As for order, always have Windows installed first, and then install Ubuntu (or other distro).

Cheers

Wizard

Things to remember when setting up Linux on a W8/10/11 machine
always keep or install Windows first
Disable windows quick-start and secure boot, and re-boot before adding Linux
Windows updates Will from time to time break the Linux grub and/or reactivate quick start, having problems after a Windows update, check this first, If you are getting grub errors repair or re-instal grub,

If you are multi booting Linux of different base codes [Slack, Debian, Suse, RHEL,& etc] it will be rare occurrence to suffer such problems

I have my operating systems on separate hard drives. As far as they are concerned, neither knows that the other exists with the exception that Linux can access the hard drive where windows is installed.

How can I boot either then?
Its a simple solution in CMOS menu. The linux drive is configured to be primary, and absent any interference from me, it will boot to Linux without any delays whatsoever.
Should I want otherwise, my BIOS has the ability to display a menu with a push of a button on my keyboard. That menu will display all drives that have bootloaders present amongst its content. There I can boot to wherever I want, and if it failed, it will default to the primary one, which, again, is Linux.

So consider getting another hard drive and physically separate both operating systems. If you so desire I will help you set it up.

I found out the hard way that a NTFS partition that can be updated by both Linux AND Windows is a ticket for disaster. I think the only Linux that co-exists peacefully with Windows is Puppy.

Only Windows in VM for me nowadays. A shared folder (ext4) is also used as an interim backup.

Members online