USB-C micro-sc reader not working on Ubuntu 20.04

How can I get micro-sd card reader to be recognized
I have a cheap stand-alone reader, that has USB- micro cable, it just works when I connect it, no additional drivers are needed.
Switch the machine on then connect the reader, usually I would expect it to open several tabs on your desktop. If not open computer from the desktop icon and see if its on the list.
If you have a second machine available to test the unit and connections [plug it in to another machine does it work] if connectors fail try a different cable between the unit and machine,

Sorry I took so long to respond.
My reader is an $18 piece of plastic thats worth about 15 cents. Got it at Walmart. Here it is https://www.walmart.com/ip/onn-SD-a...nnectors/1451082947?athbdg=L1102&from=/search
It is actually a usb reader which also has a usb-c connection. I want to use the usb only. My pc has usb 1 and 2 I think. When I plug this in to a port that I know works I get nothing showing in my file browser. There is a light on the side of it that never lights up. I assume its a light but I can't tell because it never lights up. I bought this to view the memory card on my new trail cam. I have tried to get it to work with my micro sd card from my mp3 player which I know has files on it.
Do I need to do something special to get this things to work? Thanks for any help.

look at the usb plug, if it has a black plastic insert it will be USB 2 if blue then usb 3 and from memory [I havent seen one for years] if white it's USB1, although backward compatible a USB 3 in a USB1 socket is a bit like watching paint dry
thinking back over 25 years my first card reader was usb1.2 but did not work without a separate power supply

Are you talking about the insert in the reader or the pc port?
I just noticed on the website it says "Windows, Mac and Android compatible". Can I thus assume that its probably not linux compatible?

Are you talking about the insert in the reader or the pc port?
I just noticed on the website it says "Windows, Mac and Android compatible". Can I thus assume that its probably not linux compatible?
no you can not assume that. Many manufacturers don't know anything but windows and mac. If it works with a mac without drivers then it should work in linux. If it works in android it will likely work in linux. If unsure try and see. some places sell stuff that only works if the rubber bands and duct tape are just right. Avoid those places when you find them and let us all know so we do not make the same mistake.
As for your cards, follow the advice from brick wizard, he is on target. It is unlikely the device needs drivers or is restricted to windows or mac. but not unheard of. try it on other computers and see, also keep in mind you should test the port you plug into and make sure it works also. In other words, if it does not work, try a different port.

Staff online

Members online