Using cloud virtual machines to practice?

Smellincoffee

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, all. I'm not a complete linux newbie -- I know basic terminal commands and have used Ubuntu distros from a flash drive to navigate file systems where Windows was having some issue loading -- but I'm still very, very basic and want to know more and realize I will only really learn it through practice. My PC can't run VM instances on its own, and I don't have desk space to get a system to devote to Linux, so I've been toying with the idea of using Linode/Google Cloud/Azure/etc to create a linux vm for practice. Has anyone tried getting used to Linux systems this way?

Ouch, that is a tricky one and I cannot help there.

Perhaps if you can give us some specs for your computer including its capacity and space used, someone might have ideas.

Welcome to linux.org.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Hi, all. I'm not a complete linux newbie -- I know basic terminal commands and have used Ubuntu distros from a flash drive to navigate file systems where Windows was having some issue loading -- but I'm still very, very basic and want to know more and realize I will only really learn it through practice. My PC can't run VM instances on its own, and I don't have desk space to get a system to devote to Linux, so I've been toying with the idea of using Linode/Google Cloud/Azure/etc to create a linux vm for practice. Has anyone tried getting used to Linux systems this way?
Not sure that these VMs online will satisfy your interest, but its possible to run linux from a few sites.
Perhaps check this thread:

and this site: https://distrosea.com/

I don't have desk space to get a system to devote to Linux,
Then I would recommend you run your chosen Linux direct from a USB with persistence, for this you will need a USB drive preferably a minimum of 32gb to install to

make a usb persistent drive...

@Smellincoffee :-

I had the exact same issue on the elderly Compaq desktop rig a few years back.

The Athlon64 X2 dual-core didn't support virtualization - instruction sets were too old, and it only had 3 GB of DDR1 RAM - so I got used to trying stuff out from either a LiveCD/DVD OR a USB stick. Now that I have a desktop rig with a ton of RAM, buckets of storage & a CPU that WILL run VMs, I no longer have any use for one.......I'm Puppy-only these days, and a quick'n'dirty install of a new Pup to bare metal takes less than 5 minutes.

I do run ChromeOS-Flex, and HaikuOS as well.....one from a USB stick, and one from a rescued PATA/IDE SSD out of the ancient Dell lappie that died last year (which I turned into an 'external' drive, housing it inside a dinosaur-era Compaq floppy-disk storage box I've had for more than 30 years). It connects via a SATA-to-USB adapter cable, and is perfectly content to run like that.

There's a ton of different ways you can do this. It's a case of figuring out which is most practical & cost-effective in terms of hardware resources, and which will work best - and boot most easily - for YOU.

I've tried a few of these 'cloud' VMs, and in my opinion I can't see what all the fuss is about. They're pretty slow, and don't seem to run all that well. 'Course, I'm spoilt; a Puppy running on modern hardware is like greased lightning, and is SO fast it just makes everything else seem slow..!

Mike. :p

Last edited:
Ouch, that is a tricky one and I cannot help there.

Perhaps if you can give us some specs for your computer including its capacity and space used, someone might have ideas.

Welcome to linux.org.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Thank you! My system is a 'rebuilt': a Cyberpower unit I purchased in 2016 and then made a few upgrades over the years. Would like to build a new system but am currently paying for grad school, online tech classes, and a car. ;)

CPU: AMD FX 8320 8-Core, 3.5 GHz
2 TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 16 GB DDR-3 RAM (2x8)
GPU: ASUS Rog Strix Vega 56 (8 GB)
Dedicated Video Memory: 8 GB

Then I would recommend you run your chosen Linux direct from a USB with persistence, for this you will need a USB drive preferably a minimum of 32gb to install to

make a usb persistent drive...

Thanks! I'll look into that. I have an ubuntu live-boot stick around somewhere, will look into the persistent drive. I grew up with GUIs so learning to navigate with the terminal has been weirdly fun.

My system is a 'rebuilt': a Cyberpower unit
Not a lot of wrong with that, it will run any Linux distribution at a reasonable speed and should give a few more years of normal use, [ not a lot of good for modern Hi-graphic gaming]

Members online