What Eats Your RAM – not gaming

Ziggi

Reaction score
Credits
Could I ask you Guys to kindly post your RAM hungry Apps or tasks here – Please; no games.

Want to write a RAM topic so need to know what is soaking up your RAM the most so that I can account for most heavy stuff in general use – so FreeCAD would not count as it is too niche. Other than that, post whatever with or without how much RAM is being used. Thanks Guys :)

On a 80GB system. Chrome is about 32GB. It takes up less on smaller systems, it's almost like it reserves a percentage of RAM, but it's a hog.

Could I ask you Guys to kindly post your RAM hungry Apps or tasks here – Please; no games.

Want to write a RAM topic so need to know what is soaking up your RAM the most so that I can account for most heavy stuff in general use – so FreeCAD would not count as it is too niche. Other than that, post whatever with or without how much RAM is being used. Thanks Guys :)

On a 80GB system. Chrome is about 32GB. It takes up less on smaller systems, it's almost like it reserves a percentage of RAM, but it's a hog.

I've never seen any app use 32GB of memory even on Windows.

I believe I'd have to do some series looking into that or perhaps maybe I'm not understanding the what is being asked.

I understand the question as what app uses the most Ram / Memory and 32GB of memory sounds more like amount of hard drive space.

Hmm I'm confused however I'm a Linux user and not a Linux guru so I may just not understand any of what's been posted in this thread.

My cat... literally.

Caught her gnawing on it and licking it after I was handling it with greasy fingers from not washing up after lunch properly. That was years ago, after that I was reduced to 3GB RAM from 4GB.

Last edited:
that makes sense
Phew o_O Bart - I thought it must be an emergency room heater....! :eek::confused:
Did not know such inefficiency existed - I can have 20 browser tabs open for just 680MiB RAM used
Wonder what the power supply rating is for that bad boy? o_O

Phew o_O Bart - I thought it must be an emergency room heater....!
Did not know such inefficiency existed - I can have 20 browser tabs open for just 680MiB RAM used
Wonder what the power supply rating is for that bad boy? o_O
I imagine they have racks of severs with individual power supplies.

Firefox on my laptop which has 16GBs of RAM uses around 240MB of RAM while surfing

Something for the weekend? - Sir :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online