Where to find package?

@captain-sensible -- that last it +1 for sure!

While I am glad to see 15.0 as polished as it is and to learn of SlackBuild on the way, I'll probably go with the new Salix. Yes, I understand the criticism oldschool slackers have regarding the package manager in Salix, slapt-get vis-vis dependencies, At heart I am a Debianite with a thorough preference for APT and adaptations thereof ( see PCLOS pkg mgr), unashamedly.

Just had a butchers through the system files. Puppy, it appears, has both 'kill' AND 'killall' residing in /bin.....both of which are links to busybox (which is what they call a 'multi-call' binary, i.e., it behaves differently according to how it's called by.....whatever.)

That's along with about 150 other 'linked' commands! Astounding how a single binary can satisfy so many different conditions....

Mike. ;)

Yeah i know other Debian based systems too where killall is listed, well now i know why i shouldn't use base Debian, more hassle than arch :D

i don't know how it's done in debian, but if you know the path of a file and you need to know what package it belongs to, it's very easy

do

Code:
pacman -Fy

to update the database

and then

Code:
pacman -F /usr/bin/{binary}

and it will tell you the package

it can be any file

@lomszz "Yeah i know other Debian bed systems too where killall is listed, well now i know why i shouldn't use base Debian, more hassle than arch :D"
It's more of a hssle than either Slackware or windoze. Would not wish it on anyone, The script smxi helps.

yeah i saw :D Well i'm happy with pop os and arch & fedora :D

Members online