Which distro actually WORKS? Ubuntu does NOT!

SoftMoon WebWare

Reaction score
Credits
Aloha!
I tried out Ubuntu, I think it was with GNOME, and I could not be more disappointed. Partly because of the way Ubuntu was designed (more on that below), but also because of fatal buggyness.

I have a circa 2011 HP laptop, Intel Core I7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00Ghz processor, Intel HD graphics family (best info I can find in the Window's "device manager"), and HP TrueVision HD.

I installed Ubuntu alongside Windows 7 with Ubuntu's duel-boot driver.

Firstly, I write "webware" using HTML, JS, & CSS, and typically need a "private server" on my laptop. I use FireFox and the "localhost" to manage the editing process. On Windows, I use the "Friends of Apache" product; on Ubuntu I use the included Apache server.

FireFox on my Ubuntu install completely FAILS to display my web-pages correctly. My educated guess is that it is in GNOME's X_Windows system, or the way FireFox integrates with that system. Like, take the web page, and all the "CSS layers", cut them into pieces like a jigsaw puzzle, scatter them randomly across the screen, loosing some of them, and display a bunch of messy garbage.
The specific page: https://softmoon-webware.com/MasterColorPicker_instructions.php
Go there and click in the box that says "try here" to see the mess. At least it is on my system.

By contrast, FireFox on Windows 7 performs BETTER than any other browser on any Windows install, in terms of accuracy of display, speed of display, and JavsScript processing. And my 13-year-old laptop with FireFox outperforms all the "modern" (and cheap) ones with Chrome or Edge I see at WalMart or the public library.

I use ActiveState's Komodo Edit to write the code (love their product!). It uses the Mozilla package to display the code, and I think the editor interface also. It FAILS on Ubuntu to display the code and interface correctly at all times (sometimes it works OK). Again, on Windows 7, it works perfectly, flawlessly for me. On Windows, they say they supply the specific version of the Mozilla package with the editor; I'm not sure if they piggyback on FireFox's Mozilla package in Ubuntu, but if they don't, that leads me to believe that the problem is with the GNOME X-Windows system.

I quit using Ubuntu over a year ago (after a month of trials and bugs), so memory is fuzzy, but I think the desktop itself gave me display problems once or twice also.

I wrote OS updates WAY BACK in the day (and not for Windows or Linux) so I have a teeny-tiny idea of what's "behind the scenes" in ANY OS; but I don't pretend to know what is actually going on here.

The first time I tried OpenOffice Text Editor, I wrote 1.5 or 2 pages, and the whole computer (OS) crashed, and I lost my all my work - hours. Like it can't even save the draft every 10 mins or so?
Needless to say, I didn't try that again. Back to OpenOffice on Windows 7.

Now every time I try to shut Ubuntu down, it does not: just goes into an endless loop. I quit using it altogether, but every now-and-then I get distracted when I first turn the laptop on, forget to "select Windows 7", and it boots to Ubuntu.

I also HATE the way it INSISTS to update software without my permission, when I don't have the bandwidth or the time, or the desire!

I also HATE the way Ubuntu treats me like a 90-year-old who never owned a computer before, has no idea what they are doing, and can't be trusted fooling around with the file system, yet I work for a top-secret government agency and my computer needs such an insane level of security, that I have to type in my password for EVERY FILE just to get them into the server's filesystem, or any part of the filesystem besides my "sandboxed" personal folder. Not real time-efficient when your laptop is your workstation, and you are editing and updating and testing multiple files every few minutes. I'm not even sure WHO this system IS good for, except a 10-year-old who just needs to read the school website.

I installed Linux specifically for BlueTooth support to play internet music through my mobile-home (car) radio. I was hoping to get completely away from Windows, but Ubuntu was a real joke; a complete failure.

I am still interested in Linux, perhaps Kubuntu? Will KDE fix my display problems? Maybe it won't crash the whole computer while I type away at my work? Maybe I can control the update processes? Maybe I can access my file-system without insane restrictions? (really, I'm a big boy now). Or, is there another flavor? Debian? Lots of online talk about Mint being the best...true in the terms I need?

"Trying out" 14 different installs is just not in my time-schedule. HELP?

Windows 7
Connected to the internet?....not in a VM?....Insecure ?

G'day SoftMoon Webware, Welcome to Linux.org

ok. You have had a rant, now have a listen.

Ditch Ubuntu

Install Linux Mint 21.3, Cinnamon

I also HATE the way it INSISTS to update software without my permission,
Does that refer to ubuntu?....I have never heard of that happening. That is a windows trait, not Linux

The first time I tried OpenOffice Text Editor, I wrote 1.5 or 2 pages, and the whole computer (OS) crashed
you had not bothered to set a time for an automatic save to happen.....perhaps every 5 minutes etc...?...I know zero about Open office, but it iwll have something in its settings..Read them.

Have you used Libre Office?....It comes as default in Linux Mint.

more later

I always get a kick when I see "duel" instead of "dual." If it really is a duel, Linux will win out every time. :)

Ditch Ubuntu

Install Linux Mint 21.3, Cinnamon
I agree with the ditching of Ubuntu, but with the laptop from 2011, the OP might be better off going with a less resource hungry DE than Cinnamon (I didn't notice any mention of how much RAM the laptop has). I suggest Linux Mint 21.3 Mate.

For a start if your having problems with Ubuntu then, you will probably have the same issues on an HP using Mint 21 as it is basically Ubuntu in a posh dress.
I have had problems in the past with HP products [usually sound and failure to shut down] my desktop [which I am using as I type ] Didnt like Mint or Ubuntu either it currently runs Mint LMDE without issue , you may consider trying it [by running live from a pen-drive] or these also work on this machine MX-linux, Parrot home edition,or Debian stable with driver pack

Aloha!
I tried out Ubuntu, I think it was with GNOME, and I could not be more disappointed. Partly because of the way Ubuntu was designed (more on that below), but also because of fatal buggyness.

I have a circa 2011 HP laptop, Intel Core I7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00Ghz processor, Intel HD graphics family (best info I can find in the Window's "device manager"), and HP TrueVision HD.

Firstly, I write "webware" using HTML, JS, & CSS, and typically need a "private server" on my laptop. I use FireFox and the "localhost" to manage the editing process. On Windows, I use the "Friends of Apache" product; on Ubuntu I use the included Apache server.

FireFox on my Ubuntu install completely FAILS to display my web-pages correctly. My educated guess is that it is in GNOME's X_Windows system, or the way FireFox integrates with that system. Like, take the web page, and all the "CSS layers", cut them into pieces like a jigsaw puzzle, scatter them randomly across the screen, loosing some of them, and display a bunch of messy garbage.
The specific page: https://softmoon-webware.com/MasterColorPicker_instructions.php
Go there and click in the box that says "try here" to see the mess. At least it is on my system.

By contrast, FireFox on Windows 7 performs BETTER than any other browser on any Windows install, in terms of accuracy of display, speed of display, and JavsScript processing. And my 13-year-old laptop with FireFox outperforms all the "modern" (and cheap) ones with Chrome or Edge I see at WalMart or the public library.

I use ActiveState's Komodo Edit to write the code (love their product!). It uses the Mozilla package to display the code, and I think the editor interface also. It FAILS on Ubuntu to display the code and interface correctly at all times (sometimes it works OK). Again, on Windows 7, it works perfectly, flawlessly for me. On Windows, they say they supply the specific version of the Mozilla package with the editor; I'm not sure if they piggyback on FireFox's Mozilla package in Ubuntu, but if they don't, that leads me to believe that the problem is with the GNOME X-Windows system.

I quit using Ubuntu over a year ago (after a month of trials and bugs), so memory is fuzzy, but I think the desktop itself gave me display problems once or twice also.

I wrote OS updates WAY BACK in the day (and not for Windows or Linux) so I have a teeny-tiny idea of what's "behind the scenes" in ANY OS; but I don't pretend to know what is actually going on here.

The first time I tried OpenOffice Text Editor, I wrote 1.5 or 2 pages, and the whole computer (OS) crashed, and I lost my all my work - hours. Like it can't even save the draft every 10 mins or so?
Needless to say, I didn't try that again. Back to OpenOffice on Windows 7.

Now every time I try to shut Ubuntu down, it does not: just goes into an endless loop. I quit using it altogether, but every now-and-then I get distracted when I first turn the laptop on, forget to "select Windows 7", and it boots to Ubuntu.

I also HATE the way it INSISTS to update software without my permission, when I don't have the bandwidth or the time, or the desire!

I also HATE the way Ubuntu treats me like a 90-year-old who never owned a computer before, has no idea what they are doing, and can't be trusted fooling around with the file system, yet I work for a top-secret government agency and my computer needs such an insane level of security, that I have to type in my password for EVERY FILE just to get them into the server's filesystem, or any part of the filesystem besides my "sandboxed" personal folder. Not real time-efficient when your laptop is your workstation, and you are editing and updating and testing multiple files every few minutes. I'm not even sure WHO this system IS good for, except a 10-year-old who just needs to read the school website.

I installed Linux specifically for BlueTooth support to play internet music through my mobile-home (car) radio. I was hoping to get completely away from Windows, but Ubuntu was a real joke; a complete failure.

I am still interested in Linux, perhaps Kubuntu? Will KDE fix my display problems? Maybe it won't crash the whole computer while I type away at my work? Maybe I can control the update processes? Maybe I can access my file-system without insane restrictions? (really, I'm a big boy now). Or, is there another flavor? Debian? Lots of online talk about Mint being the best...true in the terms I need?

"Trying out" 14 different installs is just not in my time-schedule. HELP?
I will suggest trying fedora. but make sure you have 8G ram if you want to use gnome. Also make sure the drive you install on is working correctly. use SMART to check the drive and any errors at all you should replace the drive. Drive errors are the biggest cause of freezing and other problems. Fedora has great support for hardware, give it a try.

The last time I used Ubuntu was 18.04 until they went full snap that is when I dumped it - I use my own Debian now and have not had any major issues - yep I was TS-SCI at my last job until I retired - after a total of some 40 years half in the Air Force the other half as a DoD contractor I am done working for Uncle Sam

Linux Mint Cinnamon is the way to go if you want a stable...user friendly Distro that doesn't break.
1719878296512.gif

@SoftMoon WebWare - I would think that top secret government agencies would be considering TAILS

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

I have an HP Pavillion lappy that came with Win 8 on it. Installed Mint on it 2 weeks ago. It's a little slow, but does what I need it to do.

Since you sound as though Windows works better for what you want to do.......why not stick with it? There's no shame in that; for some stuff, Windows CAN'T be beaten. For a lot of other stuff - so long as you're prepared to put in a wee bit of learning-time - Linux will run rings around Windows.

Some people invariably find that learning to use Linux is too much like hard work. Stick with what works for YOU, 'cos that's what counts at the end of the day. Nobody here will think any the worse of you for doing so.

BTW; your webpage renders perfectly for me.....including the color picker. This is in an up-to-date Opera browser, running in a highly-modified/upgraded "Puppy" Linux Xenialpup64.....based around Ubuntu's 16.04 LTS 'Xenial Xerus'.

Never liked Firefox; after all the issues during the late 00s, when it used to guzzle RAM like a hog, and crashed whenever it felt like it, I switched to Chrome when it first appeared in the autumn of 2008. I've been a Chrome/Chromium + 'clones' man ever since. FF has always just been a backup browser for me.....

(shrug...)

(I don't make 'recommendations'. I've always believed the user, ultimately, HAS to decide for themselves.......though certain distros are undeniably easier on those making the 'transition'.)

Mike. ;)

I have an HP Pavillion lappy that came with Win 8 on it. Installed Mint on it 2 weeks ago. It's a little slow, but does what I need it to do.
I am not a fan of mint but it should not be slow. it should be running circles around the win8. You may need to check your HDD using SMART and make sure no errors. That is the most common cause of slow down.

I am not a fan of mint but it should not be slow. it should be running circles around the win8. You may need to check your HDD using SMART and make sure no errors. That is the most common cause of slow down.
Hey, I check my HDD with SMART using smartctl yesterday...
It has no bad sectors apparently but there are some errors that are not self-explanatory, however the overall health is reported as "PASSED".

Can you tell me what you would do with this HDD? is it OK? and which fields to pay attention to?

Bash:
sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda
smartctl 7.3 2022-02-28 r5338 [x86_64-linux-6.7.12+bpo-amd64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-22, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     Toshiba 3.5" DT01ACA... Desktop HDD
Device Model:     TOSHIBA DT01ACA100
Serial Number:    28JMM7SNS
LU WWN Device Id: 5 000039 fd5e51a52
Firmware Version: MS2OA750
User Capacity:    1.000.204.886.016 bytes [1,00 TB]
Sector Sizes:     512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical
Rotation Rate:    7200 rpm
Form Factor:      3.5 inches
Device is:        In smartctl database 7.3/5319
ATA Version is:   ATA8-ACS T13/1699-D revision 4
SATA Version is:  SATA 3.0, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 6.0 Gb/s)
Local Time is:    Wed Jul  3 20:12:24 2024 CEST
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

General SMART Values:
Offline data collection status:  (0x84) Offline data collection activity
                                        was suspended by an interrupting command from host.
                                        Auto Offline Data Collection: Enabled.
Self-test execution status:      (   0) The previous self-test routine completed
                                        without error or no self-test has ever
                                        been run.
Total time to complete Offline
data collection:                ( 7167) seconds.
Offline data collection
capabilities:                    (0x5b) SMART execute Offline immediate.
                                        Auto Offline data collection on/off support.
                                        Suspend Offline collection upon new
                                        command.
                                        Offline surface scan supported.
                                        Self-test supported.
                                        No Conveyance Self-test supported.
                                        Selective Self-test supported.
SMART capabilities:            (0x0003) Saves SMART data before entering
                                        power-saving mode.
                                        Supports SMART auto save timer.
Error logging capability:        (0x01) Error logging supported.
                                        General Purpose Logging supported.
Short self-test routine
recommended polling time:        (   1) minutes.
Extended self-test routine
recommended polling time:        ( 120) minutes.
SCT capabilities:              (0x003d) SCT Status supported.
                                        SCT Error Recovery Control supported.
                                        SCT Feature Control supported.
                                        SCT Data Table supported.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000b   100   100   016    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  2 Throughput_Performance  0x0005   142   142   054    Pre-fail  Offline      -       70
  3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0007   119   119   024    Pre-fail  Always       -       192 (Average 193)
  4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0012   095   095   000    Old_age   Always       -       20276
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   074   074   005    Pre-fail  Always       -       519
  7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x000b   100   100   067    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  8 Seek_Time_Performance   0x0005   115   115   020    Pre-fail  Offline      -       34
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0012   096   096   000    Old_age   Always       -       28745
 10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0013   100   100   060    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
 12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   099   099   000    Old_age   Always       -       4349
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   084   084   000    Old_age   Always       -       20332
193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0012   084   084   000    Old_age   Always       -       20332
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   153   153   000    Old_age   Always       -       39 (Min/Max 9/46)
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   054   054   000    Old_age   Always       -       1001
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0022   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0008   100   100   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x000a   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0

SMART Error Log Version: 1
ATA Error Count: 28 (device log contains only the most recent five errors)
        CR = Command Register [HEX]
        FR = Features Register [HEX]
        SC = Sector Count Register [HEX]
        SN = Sector Number Register [HEX]
        CL = Cylinder Low Register [HEX]
        CH = Cylinder High Register [HEX]
        DH = Device/Head Register [HEX]
        DC = Device Command Register [HEX]
        ER = Error register [HEX]
        ST = Status register [HEX]
Powered_Up_Time is measured from power on, and printed as
DDd+hh:mm:SS.sss where DD=days, hh=hours, mm=minutes,
SS=sec, and sss=millisec. It "wraps" after 49.710 days.

Error 28 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 3399 hours (141 days + 15 hours)
  When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was active or idle.

After command completion occurred, registers were:
  ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --
  40 51 0a c0 d7 ca 00  Error: UNC at LBA = 0x00cad7c0 = 13293504

Commands leading to the command that caused the error were:
  CR FR SC SN CL CH DH DC   Powered_Up_Time  Command/Feature_Name
  -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --  ----------------  --------------------
  60 40 88 38 5b 30 40 00      00:36:40.816  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  60 0a 80 c0 d7 ca 40 00      00:36:40.477  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  60 e1 78 58 a8 9f 40 00      00:36:40.456  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  60 10 70 f8 da 3f 40 00      00:36:40.446  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  60 00 68 f8 d9 3f 40 00      00:36:40.446  READ FPDMA QUEUED

Error 27 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 3399 hours (141 days + 15 hours)

ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --
  40 51 08 00 be 26 00  Error: WP at LBA = 0x0026be00 = 2539008

61 08 18 58 a8 68 40 00      00:34:17.098  WRITE FPDMA QUEUED
  60 08 10 58 a0 3c 40 00      00:34:17.021  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  60 08 08 00 be 26 40 00      00:34:16.931  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  60 10 f8 b8 6b 01 40 00      00:34:16.910  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  60 08 f0 c0 9b 3c 40 00      00:34:16.909  READ FPDMA QUEUED

Error 26 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 1760 hours (73 days + 8 hours)

ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --
  40 51 08 e0 4f 8a 02  Error: WP at LBA = 0x028a4fe0 = 42618848

61 08 30 b0 43 6b 40 00      06:25:48.601  WRITE FPDMA QUEUED
  60 08 28 e0 4f 8a 40 00      06:25:48.534  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  60 08 20 e8 4f 8a 40 00      06:25:48.533  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  61 08 18 b8 b2 68 40 00      06:25:48.098  WRITE FPDMA QUEUED
  60 08 10 f0 4f 8a 40 00      06:25:47.949  READ FPDMA QUEUED

Error 25 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 1760 hours (73 days + 8 hours)

ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --
  40 51 38 f0 4f 8a 02  Error: UNC at LBA = 0x028a4ff0 = 42618864

60 40 88 e8 4f 8a 40 00      06:25:40.727  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  ea 00 00 00 00 00 a0 00      06:25:40.711  FLUSH CACHE EXT
  61 08 78 98 4a 66 40 00      06:25:35.993  WRITE FPDMA QUEUED
  61 10 70 90 5e df 40 00      06:25:35.992  WRITE FPDMA QUEUED
  60 40 68 28 50 8a 40 00      06:25:35.992  READ FPDMA QUEUED

Error 24 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 1760 hours (73 days + 8 hours)

ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --
  40 51 26 68 38 23 00  Error: UNC at LBA = 0x00233868 = 2308200

60 00 48 88 6f 50 40 00      06:24:55.534  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  60 00 40 88 6e 50 40 00      06:24:55.534  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  60 00 38 88 6d 50 40 00      06:24:55.534  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  60 00 30 88 6c 50 40 00      06:24:55.534  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  60 80 28 0e 38 23 40 00      06:24:55.534  READ FPDMA QUEUED

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
No self-tests have been logged.  [To run self-tests, use: smartctl -t]

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1
 SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS
    1        0        0  Not_testing
    2        0        0  Not_testing
    3        0        0  Not_testing
    4        0        0  Not_testing
    5        0        0  Not_testing
Selective self-test flags (0x0):
  After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.
If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.

Hey, I check my HDD with SMART using smartctl yesterday...
It has no bad sectors apparently but there are some errors that are not self-explanatory, however the overall health is reported as "PASSED".

Can you tell me what you would do with this HDD? is it OK? and which fields to pay attention to?

Bash:
sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda
smartctl 7.3 2022-02-28 r5338 [x86_64-linux-6.7.12+bpo-amd64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-22, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     Toshiba 3.5" DT01ACA... Desktop HDD
Device Model:     TOSHIBA DT01ACA100
Serial Number:    28JMM7SNS
LU WWN Device Id: 5 000039 fd5e51a52
Firmware Version: MS2OA750
User Capacity:    1.000.204.886.016 bytes [1,00 TB]
Sector Sizes:     512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical
Rotation Rate:    7200 rpm
Form Factor:      3.5 inches
Device is:        In smartctl database 7.3/5319
ATA Version is:   ATA8-ACS T13/1699-D revision 4
SATA Version is:  SATA 3.0, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 6.0 Gb/s)
Local Time is:    Wed Jul  3 20:12:24 2024 CEST
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

General SMART Values:
Offline data collection status:  (0x84) Offline data collection activity
                                        was suspended by an interrupting command from host.
                                        Auto Offline Data Collection: Enabled.
Self-test execution status:      (   0) The previous self-test routine completed
                                        without error or no self-test has ever
                                        been run.
Total time to complete Offline
data collection:                ( 7167) seconds.
Offline data collection
capabilities:                    (0x5b) SMART execute Offline immediate.
                                        Auto Offline data collection on/off support.
                                        Suspend Offline collection upon new
                                        command.
                                        Offline surface scan supported.
                                        Self-test supported.
                                        No Conveyance Self-test supported.
                                        Selective Self-test supported.
SMART capabilities:            (0x0003) Saves SMART data before entering
                                        power-saving mode.
                                        Supports SMART auto save timer.
Error logging capability:        (0x01) Error logging supported.
                                        General Purpose Logging supported.
Short self-test routine
recommended polling time:        (   1) minutes.
Extended self-test routine
recommended polling time:        ( 120) minutes.
SCT capabilities:              (0x003d) SCT Status supported.
                                        SCT Error Recovery Control supported.
                                        SCT Feature Control supported.
                                        SCT Data Table supported.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000b   100   100   016    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  2 Throughput_Performance  0x0005   142   142   054    Pre-fail  Offline      -       70
  3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0007   119   119   024    Pre-fail  Always       -       192 (Average 193)
  4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0012   095   095   000    Old_age   Always       -       20276
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   074   074   005    Pre-fail  Always       -       519
  7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x000b   100   100   067    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  8 Seek_Time_Performance   0x0005   115   115   020    Pre-fail  Offline      -       34
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0012   096   096   000    Old_age   Always       -       28745
 10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0013   100   100   060    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
 12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   099   099   000    Old_age   Always       -       4349
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   084   084   000    Old_age   Always       -       20332
193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0012   084   084   000    Old_age   Always       -       20332
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   153   153   000    Old_age   Always       -       39 (Min/Max 9/46)
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   054   054   000    Old_age   Always       -       1001
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0022   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0008   100   100   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x000a   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0

SMART Error Log Version: 1
ATA Error Count: 28 (device log contains only the most recent five errors)
        CR = Command Register [HEX]
        FR = Features Register [HEX]
        SC = Sector Count Register [HEX]
        SN = Sector Number Register [HEX]
        CL = Cylinder Low Register [HEX]
        CH = Cylinder High Register [HEX]
        DH = Device/Head Register [HEX]
        DC = Device Command Register [HEX]
        ER = Error register [HEX]
        ST = Status register [HEX]
Powered_Up_Time is measured from power on, and printed as
DDd+hh:mm:SS.sss where DD=days, hh=hours, mm=minutes,
SS=sec, and sss=millisec. It "wraps" after 49.710 days.

Error 28 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 3399 hours (141 days + 15 hours)

ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --
  40 51 0a c0 d7 ca 00  Error: UNC at LBA = 0x00cad7c0 = 13293504

60 40 88 38 5b 30 40 00      00:36:40.816  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  60 0a 80 c0 d7 ca 40 00      00:36:40.477  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  60 e1 78 58 a8 9f 40 00      00:36:40.456  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  60 10 70 f8 da 3f 40 00      00:36:40.446  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  60 00 68 f8 d9 3f 40 00      00:36:40.446  READ FPDMA QUEUED

Error 27 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 3399 hours (141 days + 15 hours)

ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --
  40 51 08 00 be 26 00  Error: WP at LBA = 0x0026be00 = 2539008

61 08 18 58 a8 68 40 00      00:34:17.098  WRITE FPDMA QUEUED
  60 08 10 58 a0 3c 40 00      00:34:17.021  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  60 08 08 00 be 26 40 00      00:34:16.931  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  60 10 f8 b8 6b 01 40 00      00:34:16.910  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  60 08 f0 c0 9b 3c 40 00      00:34:16.909  READ FPDMA QUEUED

Error 26 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 1760 hours (73 days + 8 hours)

ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --
  40 51 08 e0 4f 8a 02  Error: WP at LBA = 0x028a4fe0 = 42618848

61 08 30 b0 43 6b 40 00      06:25:48.601  WRITE FPDMA QUEUED
  60 08 28 e0 4f 8a 40 00      06:25:48.534  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  60 08 20 e8 4f 8a 40 00      06:25:48.533  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  61 08 18 b8 b2 68 40 00      06:25:48.098  WRITE FPDMA QUEUED
  60 08 10 f0 4f 8a 40 00      06:25:47.949  READ FPDMA QUEUED

Error 25 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 1760 hours (73 days + 8 hours)

ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --
  40 51 38 f0 4f 8a 02  Error: UNC at LBA = 0x028a4ff0 = 42618864

60 40 88 e8 4f 8a 40 00      06:25:40.727  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  ea 00 00 00 00 00 a0 00      06:25:40.711  FLUSH CACHE EXT
  61 08 78 98 4a 66 40 00      06:25:35.993  WRITE FPDMA QUEUED
  61 10 70 90 5e df 40 00      06:25:35.992  WRITE FPDMA QUEUED
  60 40 68 28 50 8a 40 00      06:25:35.992  READ FPDMA QUEUED

Error 24 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 1760 hours (73 days + 8 hours)

ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --
  40 51 26 68 38 23 00  Error: UNC at LBA = 0x00233868 = 2308200

60 00 48 88 6f 50 40 00      06:24:55.534  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  60 00 40 88 6e 50 40 00      06:24:55.534  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  60 00 38 88 6d 50 40 00      06:24:55.534  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  60 00 30 88 6c 50 40 00      06:24:55.534  READ FPDMA QUEUED
  60 80 28 0e 38 23 40 00      06:24:55.534  READ FPDMA QUEUED

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
No self-tests have been logged.  [To run self-tests, use: smartctl -t]

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1
 SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS
    1        0        0  Not_testing
    2        0        0  Not_testing
    3        0        0  Not_testing
    4        0        0  Not_testing
    5        0        0  Not_testing
Selective self-test flags (0x0):
  After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.
If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.
SMART will say passed even with issues unless they are severe. You have errors showing and bad sectors which means you should look at replacing the drive. the reallocated sector count means bad sectors that are taken care of. The seek errors show the mechanics of the drive or the motor are starting to fail. This is seen with random slow down and freezing of system.

Once a drive starts with bad sectors it is time to replace. They are like a cancer and tend to spread. It could be hours til it is dead or years, you can't tell. But if you want things to run smooth then everything needs to be running error free. At this point you can recover all the data, maybe even clone the drive to another without issue. Just don't wait too long.

Looking at the serial number it appears to have been made in august 02, so it's getting very old and could pop its clogs at any time, euthanasia will be the best option saving any/all files to a new drive ASAP

You mean "7 Seek_Error_Rate"? it's at zero currently

How did you determine this? are you're saying it's from year 2002?
I am looking at value not raw value for seek error rate. The output is a bit messy I am used to seeing in in the GUI from the disk utility. I am fairly sure it has seek errors on it but if I read the messy output wrong, it still has bad sectors which are more serious and either one is cause for me to replace because either one will cause issue in operation.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but the OP seems to have lost interest and didn't respond so far, I'll create a new thread next time.

Members online