Wlan0 does not show.

Greenboui

Reaction score
Credits
Screenshot 2023-09-19 10.20.26 AM.png

So I used "Ip a" to check something for a lab and Wlan0 doesn't show. I need Wlan0 for the lab. Does anybody know how to fix this? (This is on a Virtual Machine.)

Does the device have a wireless adapter, because that's what wlan would be.

Though in some distros they've moved to naming them differently.

Does the device have a wireless adapter, because that's what wlan would be.

Though in some distros they've moved to naming them differently.

Also, I moved this to the networking sub-forum.
No the device does not have a wireless adapter. So I would need one for Wlan to appear?

I don't understand.

If the "device" doesn't have wireless capability, why would you expect wireless to show?

What distro are you using? Does the "device" have a model and make, or can you give us some basic specs?

Is there a specific reason the lab calls for wlan0?

A quick look says there's a way to rename etho0 to wlan0, but that's quite a procedure.

I don't understand.

If the "device" doesn't have wireless capability, why would you expect wireless to show?

What distro are you using? Does the "device" have a model and make, or can you give us some basic specs?
I don't know. I am very new to linux and everything.

VMs typically do not have Wifi adapter pass thru.

There are ways to do this in some VM hosting platforms ( ESX, Proxmox ).
But typically, if all you have is a host machine with a wifi adapter, it will show up as a LAN
interface in the VM.

Yes it is. Im using a kali linux Virtual Machine for the lab.
OK it goes like this, First you need to be Linux experienced and terminal competent to even think about using Kali [see the first 2 post in the Kali forums] https://www.linux.org/forums/kali-linux.162/

second, you need to know the principles of how a VM works, so your VM is a guest of your main OS [I guess windows]
the VM can only make a connection to the outside world by the use of the host controller by what is known as a bridge, if you click on the connection icon it should show as bridge. to Give a VM its own outside connection, you will need another wi-fi adaptor, and then set the USB protocols in the VM

And now that I know it's Kali, we'll move to that sub-forum instead.

Ok thank you guys. So since I can't use the VM with an adapter I'll just cancel it. Thanks for the info tho!

Members online

Latest posts