Black screen on startup

Metalking1417

Reaction score
Credits
I am trying to install a Linux Mint on my new laptop from a usb. It is an Alienware m18 r1 with 32 gigs of ram. However, when I attempt to boot it up, it goes to a black screen with an unblinking line and will not go foreward from there.

G'day Metalking, Welcome oLinux.org

Have you disabled Secure boot and Fastboot in bios ?

Just tried that. Didn't work. Turned secure boot off, and Tried changing fast boot from its default setting of thourogh to minimal.

Is this a dual boot ?

What did you use to 'burn' Linux Mint to the usb stick?....is the usb stick a known good stick ?

Right now it is just on the USB.
balenaEtcher, as directed by the Linux Mint instalation guidel. Stick is a 128 gig SanDisk

When you access the short boot menu and select the usb stick to boot from....what happens after that ?

Where did the download come from ?

Was the .iso file verified, as per the Installation guide...: https://linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/verify.html

What was running on the laptop before?.....win 11 ? or win 10?

Is this laptop subject to any of the vagaries of Copilot+ etc ?

Are you dual booting

How sure are you that you are attempting to boot the correct usb stick/drive

There will be a reason why you are not achieving success. The answer will be in the information you provide us with.

Last edited:
If you have installed Mint correctly...you get...continue testing or Re-Boot (I think, it's been a while). Now you will see...remove media and press Enter.

It will boot to the Login Screen...enter your password and press Enter...simple.
1716868861780.gif

When you access the short boot menu and select the usb stick to boot from....what happens after that ? It takes me to the initial menu for the various mint boot options. After choosing one of the two options that are suposed to boot the OS, it goes to a blank black screen with an unblinking cursor.

Where did the download come from ? The Torrent downlod from the official mint site

Was the .iso file verified, as per the Installation guide...: https://linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/verify.html

What was running on the laptop before?.....win 11 ? or win 10? 11

Is this laptop subject to any of the vagaries of Copilot+ etc ? Unfortunately, yes, it does have co-pilot

Are you dual booting- It is only in a bootable state on the USB stick

How sure are you that you are attempting to boot the correct usb stick/drive. Very

There will be a reason why you are not achieving success. The answer will be in the information you provide us with.

Last edited:
Might need to add nomodeset to the grub menu - Are you using Nvidia?

Hold down the shift key when booting starts.

You will then get a grub console mode menu. The top option should be selected. Press 'e' key to edit that line.

Scroll down to the "Linux /boot/vmlinuz- your kernel-root=UUID.." line. That is the line that tells Grub which kernel to boot with and the parameters to be passed to the kernel when it boots are placed at the end of this line.

Press 'e' key again to edit this line.

Move to the end of the line to the text that says "quiet splash" and then enter "nomodeset" after the word splash and before " mark ensuring there is a space between the new option and any other option.

It should look like "quiet splash nomodeset"

Once you have added the parameter, press Enter to accept the editing.
Then press 'b' to boot using that kernel and those parameters.

hopefully it boots up - this is temporary

if booted - now install Nvidia Drivers

Last edited:
Ok, I think I've gotten somewhere- I decided to try out the Edge distrobution since my computer is reletively new (plus it is alienware, which, from what I understand has a reputation of not playing nice with Linux) and it seems to have sucessfully booted. Will update if there are further problems.

Well done ...good thinking !

Ok, I think I've gotten somewhere- I decided to try out the Edge distrobution since my computer is reletively new (plus it is alienware, which, from what I understand has a reputation of not playing nice with Linux) and it seems to have sucessfully booted. Will update if there are further problems.
It's a shame I didn't read this thread sooner. I might have saved you some frustration. I had a few issues with my new self built PC. Edge was suggested to me and it fixed it right up.

..M'soft.... The software giant also responded to a torrent of negative feedback on a new feature of Redmond’s flagship operating system....CO-PILOT..... that constantly takes screenshots of whatever users are doing on their computers,

That leaves the question.....will it remain enabled on pc & laptops that are already 'out there'...waiting to sell/already sold etc etc.......or will the disabling be taken care of via an update ?

HOW TO DISABLE RECALL

and if the above is a bit too messy fro you, try the below
Wrong thread???

oops !