Configuring Canon printer on Arch

BarriBurt

Reaction score
Credits
G'day! Been awhile.

Got tired of audio driver problems under Pop!OS - I'd reinstall Pulse audio (IIRC) and it would just update itself back to being broken next boot. Steam issues too. So, distro hopped to Arch. Harder to set up, but it doesn't have either of those problems so I'm pretty happy. Have not resorted to loading the Windows drive in over a month.

However, printing has come up. Funny because that was breathlessly easy under PopOS!. It would auto-discover my Canon TR7060a (which uses a static IP in a part of the subnet outside the DHCP range), worked great. Arch however doesn't have the relevant modules loaded by default, and the app store is pretty limited. I could use some advise.

Went to the ArchWiki on CUPS and then Avahi, followed the instructions, still no printer autodiscover. I did last night manage a manual install with downloaded .rpp file from Canon.com.au, but it wouldn't print - something was still missing. Next morning, boot up, that config's vanished. Oh well.

Feeling a bit lost. I'll load up the Windows boot drive as a stopgap to print before I come back and try tackling this again, but it would be nice to have that easy print experience Pop!OS offered under Arch somehow.

Members online