Solved Getting Started I Hope.

Solved issue

Hang on a minute, both of you please

Brian, if the OP (that's you, original poster, @wm460 ) succeeds in downloading an LM iso, and has to burn it to a USB stick or DVD (<3 GiB)... how do suggest he burns it to the medium, with a non-functional sudo capability?

how do suggest he burns it to the medium, with a non-functional sudo capability
Good point, but as it stands. he appears to have followed all instructions to re-install a password and failed. so he will need to download and make a new installation medium..
@wm460
do you have a friend /family member close by who could download and make you a new installation medium?

do you have a friend /family member close by who could download and make you a new installation medium?

Worth a shot.
Good point,

Thanks, hence my treading the course I have followed so far.

I have to start tea and other things soon, may have to leave him in your capable hands. You'll be on daylight savings I expect, his time is currently 5:03 PM.

Remember that sudo limitation.

Cheers

You'll be on daylight savings I expect, his time is currently 5:03 PM.
yep its 08-30 here, I will be in and out all day but watching when i can [especially for that damn spammer ]

Worth a shot.
I finally cheated and took the computer to Alice and got them to install Linux Mint.
Or maybe go back to whoever installed Mint on that computer and ask if they created a second account that has sudo rights and to give OP the password because normally with Mint installation the account created during installation is automatically added to the sudo group. It would be interesting to see the output of the following command for that, run by the current user OP has logged into
Code:
id

What do you mean by mirror site on the list closest to your location?
When you click on the download button on Mint it will open another page scroll towards the bottom and it will list the authorised download mirrors. [i have attatched the full page you can look at]
Screenshot 2024-06-16 at 08-42-51 LMDE 6 Faye - Linux Mint.png

I have a couple of thoughts following, then have to get going

5 hour car trip Maarten, each way (500km)
Or call that person, in the first place it's quite dumb of whoever installed it to have created a second account and not just have given the account created during installation to OP that gets put in the sudo group.

The OP has both an IGA and an Australia Post outlet across the road from each other in Tennant Creek, at which he can likely get USB sticks and DVDs if he needs them.

He may have a newsagency with a PC Mag with LM 21 on its cover DVD, but it may cost him AUD $20 for the pleasure.

Night night.

Or call that person, in the first place it's quite dumb of whoever installed it to have created a second account and not just have given the account created during installation to OP that gets put in the sudo group.
Seems strange to me,
Having installed Linux for many people over the years, I have tended to stick to what has become the norm and set it up as sudo = administration password admin and user password user and given them a print-out how to change them [basically the same as instructed above]

Good point, but as it stands. he appears to have followed all instructions to re-install a password and failed. so he will need to download and make a new installation medium..
@wm460
I have a old laptop but it is very slow would that be suitable?
Otherwise I could try on the work computer.

have a old laptop but it is very slow would that be suitable?
if you have the time any computer that runs windows xp or newer, apple os or chrome will do as long as you can connect it to the net

Or maybe go back to whoever installed Mint on that computer and ask if they created a second account that has sudo rights and to give OP the password because normally with Mint installation the account created during installation is automatically added to the sudo group. It would be interesting to see the output of the following command for that, run by the current user OP has logged into
Code:
id

When I tried that I got this.

userd@userd-Aspire-TC-1760:~$ id
uid=1000(userd) gid=1000(userd) groups=1000(userd)

The replies from my emails the girl behind the counter said she didnt know any thing about Linux

1, I’m sorry to say the technician didn’t note that in with job notes and wasn’t in today, I’ll get in touch with him tomorrow and see if I can’t find that you out for you.

2, Sorry for the delay, hearing back from the technician, the name may just be “user” as he didn’t set one in set up and the computer would set itself a default name.
should that not be the default name, type “ whoami “ at the command line. This will print your computer name on the next line.

I’ve found a helpful looking website with photos to make it easier to follow.

https://www.howtogeek.com/410423/how-to-determine-the-current-user-account-in-linux/#:~:text=Linux%20distributions%20normally%20display%20the,get%20even%20more%20detailed%20information.

When I tried that I got this.

userd@userd-Aspire-TC-1760:~$ id
uid=1000(userd) gid=1000(userd) groups=1000(userd)
Looks like that person probably created the default account during installation but then after installation removed you from all those default groups, because normally during the installation you are added to several default groups including the "sudo" group.

if you have the time any computer that runs windows xp or newer, apple os or chrome will do as long as you can connect it to the net

So it will fit on a DVD?
Just asking as I had a hell of a time tiring to down load it on windoze 11.
BTW my name is Mark.

Members online