Give your thoughts about Linux.

Linux is the new Windows
Do not jest, I can see it coming in the not too distant future, as Microsoft move further away from the cost of producing an operating system and more towards the big money [AI, Cloud etc].
4 years ago none of us would have thought that Microsoft would come up with WSL let alone select Linux to run their own cloud servers instead of Windows NT, we know they have their own in house Linux distribution use by the software guys, so it not a big step.

Linux did replace OS/400 once, it could just as easily replace MS Windows.

Linux did replace OS/400 once, it could just as easily replace MS Windows.
Uh-uh. Nah. Pie in the sky, my friend; nice thought, but it'll never happen. Not while humans have holes in their backsides, it won't.....too many folks have too much money invested in the entire Windows ecosystem.

And money "talks". LOUDLY!! :p

Mike. o_O

I do not want Linux to replace Windows (or OS-X).

Competition improves the breed.

I didn't bother reading all of this. Usually I wouldn't respond either. However, your response is to someone who is just now switching over to Linux. I'm a recent convert to Linux. I disagree with your statements that I did read.
I'm unsure as to why the seeming majority of Linux Veterans treat new users as incompetent incapable goons that simply won't be able to comprehend operating Linux.
This has not been my experience at all. I received a very warm welcome and a lot of encouragement. The people here have been more than understanding and patient with me. Conflicts of personality are inevitable, but not one person has ever made me feel unwelcome.

They get so caught up over the dumbest crap that it's truly mind boggling sometimes. If you've never witnessed something like this before, call Linux a "desktop" and kick back with some popcorn to watch the thread blow up with veterans armed to the teeth with every explanation they can slap you with as to why Linux is NOT a desktop.

Again, I've been treated with nothing but respect. Even so, semantics ARE important. Most of the people here don't use Windows or haven't used it for a very long time. A word to for something in Windows is usually different for the same concept in Linux. You can't expect someone who only speaks French to understand something you say in English.

They're not wrong. Linux is a Kernel, not a desktop. BUT, getting caught up in semantics that most users will NEVER care about, even if they're using Linux as a daily driver is just down right goofy to me.

This illustrates my previous point perfectly. I have a wealth Windows knowledge. If I want to know how to do something in Linux that I know I can do in Windows, it's on me to find out what the Linux word is or at least be able to explain exactly what it is I'm trying to do.

Even so, if I use the wrong word, most likely someone will know what I'm asking. Either they know or remember enough about Windows or I figure out how to ask my question so that I'm understood.

I'm not going to bother with the rest of this. Your thoughts on Linux couldn't be further from my experience. This would have steered me away from giving Linux a second thought.

Switching to Linux is one of the best decisions I ever made. I have a lot less headaches and I enjoy me computer a lot more now.

Me neither.

Leave Linux be.

Linux is fine just as it is.

If Linux ever does become the desktop of the user home base it will become another polluted OS just like Windows OS is now.

I wish I could find a nice video creation program that would let me do animation in Linux. I'm using Debian 11.7. I have Imagination and Kdenlive.

Signed,

Matthew Campbell
Have you tried Blender?

As an architecture student, I had to learn to use 3DS Max, VIZ 3D and other 3D software. Blender is just as good, takes up a lot less room, much more efficient with hardware. It's just as good as the software the pros use.

I'm not sure what you've used... In all the 3D software I've used, animation is created using 'scenes' tab and (I think it's called paths?). A command to move through the scenes to create animation.

Competition improves the breed.
Exactly why I wouldn't be surprised. Microsoft isn't that keen on competition :)

Have you tried Blender?

As an architecture student, I had to learn to use 3DS Max, VIZ 3D and other 3D software. Blender is just as good, takes up a lot less room, much more efficient with hardware. It's just as good as the software the pros use.

I'm not sure what you've used... In all the 3D software I've used, animation is created using 'scenes' tab and (I think it's called paths?). A command to move through the scenes to create animation.
Is that a Debian package?

Signed,

Matthew Campbell

Signed,

Matthew Campbell

I'm still a newbie and have only used Linux Mint at this point in my Linux journey. I'm still picking up the lingo! If I understand you correctly, you're asking if Blender 'works' on Debian???

If that's what you're asking, it looks like it does. Is 'Snap Store' the same thing as the Software Manager in Linux Mint? Blender is available in the repository.

1719670460679.png

This link is on the Blender website, Install Blender on Debian. Their website says they have published one snap.

Blender.org

Blender Features

This is what you can do with Blender

Last edited:

Signed,

Matthew Campbell
Yes.
Code:
[jim@min ~] $ rmadison blender
blender    | 2.79.b+dfsg0-7+deb10u1 | oldoldstable           | source, amd64, arm64, armhf, i386
blender    | 2.79.b+dfsg0-7+deb10u1 | oldoldstable-debug     | source
blender    | 2.82.a+dfsg-1~bpo10+1  | buster-backports       | source, amd64, arm64, armel, armhf, i386, mips64el, mipsel, ppc64el, s390x
blender    | 2.82.a+dfsg-1~bpo10+1  | buster-backports-debug | source
blender    | 2.83.5+dfsg-5+deb11u1  | oldstable              | source, amd64, arm64, armel, armhf, i386, mips64el, mipsel, ppc64el, s390x
blender    | 2.83.5+dfsg-5+deb11u1  | oldstable-debug        | source
blender    | 3.4.1+dfsg-2           | stable                 | source
blender    | 3.4.1+dfsg-2+b1        | stable                 | amd64, arm64, mips64el, ppc64el, s390x
blender    | 4.1.1+dfsg-2           | experimental           | source
blender    | 4.1.1+dfsg-2           | experimental-debug     | source
blender    | 4.1.1+dfsg-2+b1        | experimental           | amd64, arm64, mips64el, ppc64el, riscv64, s390x
blender    | 4.1.1+dfsg-3           | buildd-unstable        | source, mips64el
blender    | 4.1.1+dfsg-3           | unstable               | source, amd64, arm64, mips64el, ppc64el, s390x
blender    | 4.1.1+dfsg-3           | unstable-debug         | source

I have been a Linux mint user for some time now and find it much easier to use than any version of Windows I ever used. I was a military personnel system manager in the U.S.A.F. and that introduced me to the computing world. I will tell people Linux is indeed not windows but IMO much easier and safer. I do not know about the other distros of Linux however and am strictly talking about Mint. Also it is free and easy to update to the latest version when one wants to do so.
Always,
Wildman