Solved Going to file some papers

Solved issue

Sherri is a Cat

Reaction score
Credits
I need to say this to someone before I get ready to leave.

Some of you know about a few things going on in my life right now. I'm about to file an Answer with the court to respond to the Eviction suit I was served with. For the last 2 years life has been crazier than I could have ever imagined. I had a godsend of a landlord who understand everything going on. I got far behind on my rent last year. I've paid off more than half. He recently died. His kids don't seem to have the heart his father had.
I am terrified right now. I have no idea what is going to happen tomorrow. I could lose everything I have and be thrown out. I could literally be on the streets by tomorrow evening. I'm having a hard time staying calm. The only thing I'm asking for is a little more time to move.

I've been doing the very best I can, under continuing stress for 2 years now. I can't do more than that

Last edited by a moderator:

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my letter to the judge

Further Information
The nature of the landlord/tenant agreement changed substantially upon the death of my former landlord,
Mr S. At no time was I notified of change in property management, changes in terms of the lease
agreement, given contact information or contacted before receiving a Three (3) Day Notice to Vacate
[C.C.P.116]. I had no contact information. Mrs S is a recent widow. I will not bother her with this,
but I do not believe my good faith efforts have been recognized.
Since notice, I have felt harassed. I’ve wakened to the sound of Sean S. on the metal roof cutting tree
limbs over the house with a chainsaw. He didn’t give me contact information for his uncle. He was the only
person I could discuss my circumstances with. I asked him to relay messages for me and I kept him updated
on my progress towards moving out. I have also found the storage room door open where I have valuables.
On February 19th, I found Dean S’s place of business using the address written on the envelope with the
Notice to Vacate. I sent an email with a PDF attachment.
In that letter, I told him of the extraordinary circumstances that led to my debt, the $3,000 payment to half of
my back rent in October, that I paid rent in November and lost my job a week later. I had reasonable
expectations of work in December. Circumstances out of my control delayed start until January 29 th. I gave
him updates on plans to move, my friends who are helping me but we need more time. I said “If you agree
(to give me time), I don’t want it to cost your mother. I want to give cash for electricity.” Dean S’s
response left me with the impression he would give us some time. He told me how much I owe for
electricity and asked for my social security number. The second time I contacted him, he told me that case
had been moved to your precinct.
When I spoke with Mr. S the following Saturday, he gave no indication that he filed suit against me. At that time, I
was told that Sean S never relayed any of my messages to him, and usually doesn’t do that sort of thing.
He said that Sean was trying to impress me with stories of prison. He did not say they aren’t true.
I have documentation of some of the updates I sent to Sean, the email interactions with Dean Smith, my
letter of termination and the cashiers check made out to Mr S. sent by my bank. I don’t expect
problems obtaining documentation of events that delayed my work. Rent was nearly always paid in cash.
I wanted discuss the possibility of this with Mrs. S. It would been disrespectful to bother her with
this in the recent days after Mr S’s passing. I did talk briefly with her daughter. I have not reached out to
Francis Smith and have no intention to do so. I said this to Dean S.
I am aware of how this must look to people who aren’t familiar with the dynamics of my previous
landlord/tenant agreement. I know many people took advantage of Mr S. I understand why people
might think I am one of those people. I realize that his children are looking out for their mother.
I do not have friends in Texas after a contentious divorce. I have no family to help me. The only thing I am
asking for is time to leave peaceably with intentions to pay the remainder of my back rent, as I did
previously with my ex husband.

Last edited:
I actually came back to delete this thread. I don't like to whine, I was on over drive on panic mode. No one could talk to me for a few minutes to help me calm down.

There are multitude of circumstances that led to my current position. One way or another, things will work out. I do the very best I can and that's all I can do. I called the court to ask if I could fax or email my response. I told them how wired up I was. I was afraid I might get into an accident. They made an exception for me.

That's the way it usually goes for me. What goes around comes around. I've helped a lot of people. All the help I've given people is coming back around. People I don't know have helped out when I needed it most. I have a working computer again and I'm not enslaved anymore. I finally got to start working again at a job I love. My old landlord kept me off of the streets. I couldn't begin to tell you how many people took advantage of him. Even after those people took so much, he still helped them again. I'm one of two people who actually paid him back for everything. I won't without returning what he is owed. He's not the one kicking me out. He wouldn't if he was still here. My life is supposed to be somewhere else. It's happened more than once before. It will happen again. Where ever that place is, it must be imperative that I get there soon. The last 2 years of my life would be enough to put anyone in the nut house. There were a lot of times I thought I might have been headed that way, but it didn't happen.

No matter what happens things will be okay. Sometimes it's scary getting there, but I know it will happen.

Last edited:
I'll try to cast a good luck spell, Sherri, just got to find my Book of Spells, I think it's in the garage

Wizard

I was laughing so earlier I couldn't stop.
I have an update on the situation and I'm looking forward to seeing the judge tomorrow

I never saw any of the books my landlord kept. I had no idea how much I owed him. I just kept giving when I could because he did so much for me.

I realized something earlier when I was reviewing the petition. I still can't believe my eyes. I had to check with a few people to make sure I'm right. The petition states I haven't paid rent for exactly one year. I think they are so anxious to get me out of here that they didn't even realize I had actually paid several months in advance. They left notice on my door and served me with papers when I still had 2 months left before I had to give them anything. In fact, as of this minute I only owe them for 1 week.

It's indisputable. The amount they state that I owe is less than a year of rent, no mention of the cashiers check that put me ahead by 3 months or the additional rent I paid in advance.

They're only asking me to pay court fees. There are willing to dissolve my debt. I'm going to point out the obvious mistake, show the judge my receipt for the cashiers check, let them know that my landlord is the ONLY person who could cash it. Then, since they don't want rent for the past year they say I owe them, I am going to ask them to return it so I leave this place. I've been harassed, subjected to unwanted sexual advances, never given notice of changes they were legally required to provide, tricked into giving them personal information they need to sue me. My landlord brought his guest into my home and let her go browsing my things,telling me what she wanted when I leave. She even walked right into my bedroom and then my bathroom. A landlord can do that, not their guest.

I stayed in a house with 2 open septic tanks in the front yard, holes in floors and walls, mold, faulty electrical wiring, leaks, doors that can't be fully closed and/or locked, a leaky roof, windows with cardboard instead glass panes... It goes on and on. I did it because I wanted to the right thing and a lot faster. I wanted to pay my debt.

I did the right thing when I chose to stay. I gave my landlord nearly everything I had because my ethics and morals wouldn't allow me to leave before making good doing right by him. They don't want the money they think I owe but already paid. I can put it to much better use. They can deal with falsification of records, frivolous lawsuits and a plethora of other violations I have every right to sue them over.

A word to the wise on

It's indisputable.

If you can, get to the courthouse early. There may be a person from the Public Defendant's office or similar, who can look through your material and advocate for you, at minimal charge or perhaps even free.

But that all sounds promising, so I hope it goes as well as you would wish.

Chris

Something else just occurred to me.

BEFORE he filed his petition to sue me, I TOLD him about the cashiers check I gave my landlord. There is no mention of it in his petition.

A word to the wise on

If you can, get to the courthouse early. There may be a person from the Public Defendant's office or similar, who can look through your material and advocate for you, at minimal charge or perhaps even free.

But that all sounds promising, so I hope it goes as well as you would wish.

Chris

I live in THE MOST landlord friendly state in this country. There is nothing like that around here.
However, I could probably easily hire an attorney on contingency. They would take part of the settlement.

I learned enough about law last year to know that once you've made a statement under oath, and if it turns out to be false, that's big trouble and not taken lightly. I think I'm going to do that. I don't care how much I do or don't get. I let people get away with a lot for years. They have consequences to deal with. They need to think about the things they do and the opinions they form before jumping to conclusions.

@blunix

how can we help?

Just by having friendly "ears" here for her, and keeping her in our thoughts.

I have absolutely no doubt of the veracity of what Sherri has said.

However, we have have just recently passed 70,000 members here, and any number of them will have been impoverished and challenged on many an occasion. 99% (maybe) of our Members do not pay fees, and we do not have the financial resources, other than a small amount of advertising revenue.

That being said, the OP has proven herself to be resilient and resourceful just in introducing GNU/Linux into her online life.

I have every faith she will prevail.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

how can we help?

@admins can we start a fund run here? I understand that this thread could be a scam but given the OPs credit in the forum its reasonable to assume it isnt.
I appreciate this, but I don't think it is necessary. As WizardfromOZ said, I'm resilient. I've made it through a lot of tough things. I can get through this too.

These people have given more than enough to bring a civil lawsuit against them. They have money. I probably wouldn't have much trouble finding an attorney who would take my case on contingency.

Actually I should I won't have much trouble finding an attorney.
These people put me through hell. I don't know if they didn't believe I had paid that money, didn't think I could prove it because most payments were in cash, or if they thought I'm too dumb to know what happened. They're hanging themselves. They were dumb enough, maybe careless enough to make false statements on a legal document. I did the right thing. They didn't.

Any fundruns should be for the forum. Right now I'm not able to support it with monthly donations. I'm grateful for the opportunity to get to know all of you. Without this forum, I might never have bothered with Linux or met any of you!

I just went to a site for help with forms based on questions you are asked. I'm going to file it tomorrow, but if they try to make any legally binding agreements with me, I will show it to them. Some of the words on the Answer include:

1711007648399.png

I have ridiculously low rent. My increased ability to pay debt sooner is the biggest reason I stayed here.

When are you meeting with the judge or court, Sherri?

I'll add this:

Some people say I have quirky personality, a polite way of saying I don't have much if anything between my ears. Some of them found the hard way I'm far from stupid, I have a lot of knowledge and education they don't know about and I'm more than aware of what goes on around me.
It my ethics that became their biggest problem.

When are you meeting with the judge or court, Sherri?
7 hours. I've been awake so long getting ready for the hearing, I'm afraid I won't wake up. If I don't show up, I'll have a default judgement against. I don't want to miss being there when they found what a HUGE mistake they made.

By the way, I didn't pick those legal terms. They were generated for me with the questions I answered.

Thought so.

Set all the alarms in the house.

Now nick off (I mean that in the friendliest possible way), or I'll cut off your connection to the forum :p

Members online