How To Convert Linux OS to a Different Linux OS.

darkphantom

Reaction score
Credits
How to Convert Linux OS to a Different Linux OS. [SOLVED]

So I am running Linux Mint and I decided I wanted to give Mofo Linux a go. The trouble is little good quality information is available on the internet because of information that is incomplete and/or out dated.

After 2 weeks of troubleshooting, testing, re installing OS's and burning through multiple USB drives I have finally hacked it.
I have to say being a new Linux user has been quite the challenge. The learning curve is very steep but in the end when you put your thinking cap on, buckle down and really try to learn the ropes it's well worth it is the end and the feeling of accomplishment is grand.

Guide to installing a new Linux OS

Note: Best experienced using a GUI.

1. Launch an internet browser of your choosing.

2. Using any search engine look up: (computer technicians) Be sure to [include] your city to get geographically accurate results.

3. Once you have launched the website navigate to their "services" tab to ensure they are compatible with Linux based operating systems.

4. Once you find a company that is compatible with Linux operating systems ping them. Telling the company on the other end you need a new Linux OS installed on your computer.

5. Pre configure a time and day for the install. Once that is done all you have to do kick back, crack open a beer, fire up your favorite computer game and wait for the installation to complete. After all you should reward yourself for all that hard work you put in.

PROS and CONS of this method:
Pros:
1. Reduces stress levels resulting in decreased risk of a heart attack and hair loss.
2. Guide does NOT become out dated.
3. User friendly. Significantly reduces the amount of WTF moments and major disappointments.
4. Saves time resulting in increased productivity.

Cons:
1. Because this is done over a metered connection additional charges may apply.
2. Could take up to a week for the installation to complete.

I hope you found this thread as helpful as I did. Feel free to leave your questions and comments below and remember to send this link to anyone else you know who is suffering from the hell of the Linux world.

Last edited:

When it boots up and says: Try MOFO Linux without installing select that option and let it boot to the desktop.

Once MOFO Linux has booted to the desktop there should be somewhere on the desktop an icon to click to start the installer <OR> look in the Menu to start the installer.

The installation procedure will feel quite the same as a traditional Ubuntu MATE installation and so will the interface.

Thanks for the reply Alexzee.

Those are the same links I have been reading over and over again and it keeps going over my head. I'm not looking to get a degree in computer science here I just want to install a new OS. I miss the days when you popped a disc in, pressed the next button 20 time and it was done.

Let me rephrase the question. Is there any way to install Mofo Linux without using:
1. Computer language
2. Terminal
3. Grub

If not then I'll just have to do a lot of reading to understand everything because there are too many words that I have never heard of before.

Launcher?
bootloader?
Partition?
Root partition?
Chainload?
Drive partition?
Mount point?

I'm so lost...

Mofo Linux was originally designed as one portable and bootable Linux distro (developed on the basis of Ubuntu 18.04 )and is meant to be used as a live os - to install it you will have to run the live cd the install Ubiquity
Code:
sudo apt update
Code:
sudo apt install ubiquity
Once Ubiquity is installed then you can click on the Ubiquity installer and it will walk you through the installation process

More info on installing is here - https://mofolinux.com/mofo-linux-grub2.html

Do you mean I need to launch Mofo from a USB and then install Ubiquity onto that same USB? If so I already tried that and it just said that it couldn't be found.

Yes launch it like your going to use it then open the terminal and install Ubiquity right to the thumb drive, also be sure to check out the grub info on the link I posted above.

Alrighty I'll give it a shot. Do I need to install and configure grub on the actual system or also while I am in Mofo launched from he USB?

Alrighty I'll give it a shot.

Sounds Commonwealth - Britain, Canada or other, share if you like

G'day @darkphantom and welcome to linux.org :)

Grub installation and configuration will be handled by the Ubiquity installer, also partitioning.

I have to go out for a bit, New Year's Eve here, but I can probably install MOFO this weekend if that is of assistance

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Thank you Wiz. Happy New Years.

Yeah I am pretty lost right now. I just created an ISO file on my hard drive on my actual OS and am now configuring the 40_custom file by copying and pasting what was listed on that site. Hopefully I don't break my machine.

Welcome @darkphantom
Glad to see that you are wanting to progress to something more exotic in LinuxLand.
From what I saw on the FOSS link by @Alexzee, you are in for some studying, which is a good thing. Never back down from a good challenge.
I wish you nothing but the best in your endeavors.
Old Geezer TC
One more thing, before I forget it - please backup your system in Mint with Timeshift before making any changes. It will save you a bunch of headaches.

Timeshift.

Install/set it up BEFORE you make changes.

Timeshift is similar to system restore in windows.....it will take snapshots (as many or as few as you like) store them on an EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE, .... These snapshots can be restored at a later date to undo all changes to the system.

Whether or not you wish to install and set up Timeshift now...is up to you

Taking one snapshot with it before you make any changes would at least give you your initial install free from whatever changes broke it (if indeed the changes you make manage to break it !!)

Or....you may decide that the actual installing of mofo wasn't such a big deal and if something goes south you are quite ok to do the installation procedure again.

Your call.

I would just reinstall Linux Mint from the USB I have if that happened.

That's good, I was going to ask, but you have answered. Timeshift is also on that USB stick, in the Mint, but we can talk about that more later or elsewhere, and you can read my Thread on it here

https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/

If you have any questions on it ask at page 11 or wherever it is up to. :)

Hopefully I don't break my machine.

Don't know if you've ever watched the old NCIS series.

The character of Tony DiNozzo used to say

"We've got your 6, Boss!"

We here have got yours, and breaking is a good way of learning how to not break things in future.

Cheers

Wizard

Thanks for the reply Alexzee.

Those are the same links I have been reading over and over again and it keeps going over my head. I'm not looking to get a degree in computer science here I just want to install a new OS. I miss the days when you popped a disc in, pressed the next button 20 time and it was done.

Let me rephrase the question. Is there any way to install Mofo Linux without using:
1. Computer language
2. Terminal
3. Grub

If not then I'll just have to do a lot of reading to understand everything because there are too many words that I have never heard of before.

Launcher?
bootloader?
Partition?
Root partition?
Chainload?
Drive partition?
Mount point?

I'm so lost...
When I was new to Linux I was lost too.

Just take one step at a time, read the links that we posted for you, install ubiquity and take your time.

I've never used ubiquity as I prefer calamares.

The bootloader for Linux is Grub: GRand Unified Bootloader.
https://linuxhint.com/what-is-a-boot-loader/

A partition is where the actual operating system is located on a HDD.

A root partition is where all of the files that make up the Linux os are.

Happy learning.

When it boots up and says: Try MOFO Linux without installing select that option and let it boot to the desktop.

Once MOFO Linux has booted to the desktop there should be somewhere on the desktop an icon to click to start the installer <OR> look in the Menu to start the installer.

The installation procedure will feel quite the same as a traditional Ubuntu MATE installation and so will the interface.
I looked everywhere can couldn't find such option. I did find though under: System>admin>Start disk creator. I messed around with that for a bit but still no luck. I probably don't know how to use it properly.

Mofo Linux was originally designed as one portable and bootable Linux distro (developed on the basis of Ubuntu 18.04 )and is meant to be used as a live os - to install it you will have to run the live cd the install Ubiquity
Code:
sudo apt update
Code:
sudo apt install ubiquity
Once Ubiquity is installed then you can click on the Ubiquity installer and it will walk you through the installation process

More info on installing is here - https://mofolinux.com/mofo-linux-grub2.html

I am a little confused how to launch the Ubiquity installer. I opened the software manager and searched for Ubiquity and launched the one that just said Ubiquity Linux Mint Live CD Installer. I got an error message saying ubi-prepared failed with exit code 127.

Staff online