Linux on older computers...

I just can't get into LXQt. I love LXDE. It's my favorite DE, followed by Cinnamon or MATE.
It took me a little bit to learn the LXQT ways and one I did I found it to be OK although not for everyone.

The PCLinuxOS Community version of LXQT is actually the best version I've used compared with other versions of LXQT I'm using.

PCLinuxOS does offer a really excellent Mate version which I'm using also on an old 2007 desktop computer.

I like LXDE and used it for awhile although it seems to be becoming outdated from what I read has to do with GTK-2 / GTK-3 although I don't know.

although it seems to be becoming outdated

That trend is going to continue. The developers are all moving/have moved to LXQt and LXDE will be no more - unless someone else jumps in to maintain it and maybe improve it. Though, I'm not really sure what improvements can be made - I like it just the way it is.

I used to be a distro hopper. I'd sometimes use two or three different distros in a week - on bare metal and without dual-boot. (I've long since kept most of my personal data on external devices, such as with my NAS.)

I've been using Lubuntu since just about the time it came out as an official Ubuntu flavor. So, I am still unsure what I'll decide. I 'know' all the Lubuntu folks. I am even on their various mailing lists. The community at least knows who I am, so I'm pretty comfortable with them.

LXQt is the most likely path I'll take - but it might be grudgingly!

At the same time, I really like Cinnamon and MATE ain't bad at all. Whatever I do decide, it'll go on multiple computers for consistency sake. It'll be a darned shame to have my LXDE knowledge be no longer of value.

My oldest working computer which I'm going to install Windows XP on cause I have a lot of cool software for Windows XP I can use.

I only installed Linux on this computer to see how Linux ran on it and Linux ran great however the processor being SSE instruction set the browser was painfully slow.

I'll put it back to a Windows XP computer and keep it disconnected from the WWW.

Code:
$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: antix1 Kernel: 4.4.10-antix.1-486-smp i686 (32 bit gcc: 4.9.3) Desktop: IceWM 1.3.8
           Distro: antiX-16_386-full Berta Cáceres 26 June 2016
Machine:   Mobo: Gigabyte model: GA-K8VM800M (rev 2.x)  Bios: Award v: FD date: 12/07/2005
CPU:       Single core AMD Sempron 2800+ (-UP-) cache: 256 KB
           flags: (lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3) bmips: 3214 speed: 1607 MHz (max)
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RV280 [Radeon 9200 PRO] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: [email protected]
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI R200 (RV280 5960) x86/MMX+/3DNow!+/SSE2 DRI2
           GLX Version: 1.3 Mesa 10.3.2 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card VIA VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller driver: snd_via82xx port: e000 bus-ID: 00:11.5
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.10-antix.1-486-smp
Network:   Card-1: ADMtek NC100 Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet 10/100
           driver: tulip v: 1.1.15-NAPI port: b000 bus-ID: 00:0a.0
           IF: eth0 state: unknown speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: <filter>
           Card-2: VIA VT6102 [Rhine-II] driver: via-rhine port: e400 bus-ID: 00:12.0
           IF: eth1 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 120.0GB (4.7% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: MAXTOR_STM312081 size: 120.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 108G used: 3.3G (4%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 2.18GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda2
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 32.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 147 Uptime: 1:50 Memory: 221.0/2017.5MB Init: SysVinit runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 4.9.2
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.301) inxi: 2.3.0

I don't care what anyone thinks or says Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP Professional were the best Windows OSs ever.

XP Pro, post SP2, was pretty good. I even enjoyed (and had good success with) Vista.

The following is going to be hard to believe:

I actually owned the magic set of hardware where Windows ME ran well.

It's true! I did! I don't remember the particulars, but it was an AMD K6 II 350 MHz that I had OCed to almost 500 MHz and I *think* it had 256 MB of RAM. It was a beast - in its day.

Alas, I don't have much old hardware that'd even install Linux. I do have a really old TRASH 80 II and a Vic 20 that I have kept for nostalgic reasons.

I kinda like the idea of Limbo Linux.

In our house we had a Windows 98 desktop and from there went to Windows 2000 Professional desktop.

I remember hearing the horror story's of Windows ME but have never personally used it.

I liked Windows Vista and never had any problems or complaints with it because the computer it was installed on was made to run Windows Vista.

I've seen some TRS 80s and VIC 20s in thrift stores and at garage sales so I know what they are but don't know nothing about Limbo Linux other than it's some type of emulator.

Limbo Linux

Limbo Linux is a game in my imagination where we each try to get Linux installed on lower and lower hardware specs. So far, you're winning!

Limbo Linux is a game in my imagination where we each try to get Linux installed on lower and lower hardware specs. So far, you're winning!
Boy I was way off on what I thought Limbo Linux.
I'll bet there's someone that has Linux running on something older than desktop I posted.

It makes me wish I'd kept some of the older computers, maybe a specimen from each generation, just so I could test and play with them. In my basement, I have a room that I call my lab. It has some older computers, but I'm not going to be able to get Linux to run on a TRS 80.

I keep the Trash 80 available to play Zork. Yes, yes I do...

Jack be nimble Jack be quick, Jack go under Limbo Stick :)

Pentium II ex military aluminium cased toughbook my record i'm sure it only had 256 bytes ram then i got extra from a company in birmingham Uk. I got Anitx going

I'm gonna have to use VirtualBox to get as low as I can go. I can apply CPU execution caps and limit the number of RAM available - but that's still not *really* putting it on older hardware. Older hardware should include the diversity of hardware as well.

Members online