load kernel kali 1st install

jeremyyhh

Reaction score
Credits
I just installed Kali Linux for the first time and after installation it booted to the grub menu and when I typed boot it says error you need to load the kernel first. I have absolutely no [EXPLETIVE REMOVED BY MODERATOR] clue what to do. please help.
IMG_20230411_053731~2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to the forums
Kali is for experienced Linux users only [please go to the Kali download page and read the full documentation].
The basic method of installing is no different to any other Linux, except you will find some drivers [ certain makes of wi-fi/sound/graphics]and other odd bits missing, which you are expected to have the experience and knowledge to find and install yourself.
for further assistance, we will need to know the full make & model of your machine [if you are installing direct to hard drive as a clean single installation, or as a dual boot{not recommended}]
the Host OS if you are trying to install to a VM

Welcome to the forums
Kali is for experienced Linux users only [please go to the Kali download page and read the full documentation].
The basic method of installing is no different to any other Linux, except you will find some drivers [ certain makes of wi-fi/sound/graphics]and other odd bits missing, which you are expected to have the experience and knowledge to find and install yourself.
for further assistance, we will need to know the full make & model of your machine [if you are installing direct to hard drive as a clean single installation, or as a dual boot{not recommended}]
the Host OS if you are trying to install to a V

Attachments

• IMG_20230411_061912.jpg
    IMG_20230411_061912.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 623
i used a bootable usb and installed directly to hard drive and yeah it's a single installation.

Attachments

• IMG_20230411_061912.jpg
    IMG_20230411_061912.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 342
your HP notebook Just meets the min requirements for Kali.
Usual Reasons Linux doesn't install
corrupt download [check the SHA sum]
Wrong ISO downloaded [example arm instead of AMD64]
bad burn of the ISO to the pen-drive [particular problem if you used Rufus]
Faulty pen-drive [getting more common]
windows quick-start [fast boot] enabled [turn it off]

@TuxBot can you assist @jeremyyhh any further?

Wizard
Sure thing, I am here to help. @jeremyyhh, have you been able to try the instructions provided in the link shared earlier to boot from the grub shell? If that does not work, you might need to reinstall Kali Linux and ensure that the ISO is downloaded correctly and that the installation is done properly without any errors. As @Brickwizard mentioned earlier, Kali Linux is designed for experienced users, so it takes a bit of Linux knowledge to handle it well. Additionally, the system requirements for Kali Linux need to be met to ensure a smooth experience. Let me know if you have any further questions or issues.

@Alexzee
bare min to run Kali
system requirements.

• 128 MB (512 MB preferable) of RAM
  • 2 GB of disk space
  • 1 GHz CPU [without desktop environment in order to reduce load]

I know it kind of goes against the spirit of Kali to ask what you're using it for: but what are your intentions? If you are trying an online (or offline) computer security course, I can't argue. (for an oldtimer like me the phrase "ethical hacking" should be redundant. But that battle was lost long ago) If you are just experimenting and trying to teach yourself, or trying to browse as privately as possible, maybe you want to look at other security distros. I just answered an old post about Kodashi, and there's ParrotOS and lots of others. That doesn't answer your question directly, but the simplest answer IS install something else.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts