Partitioning

Teklehaimanot

Reaction score
Credits
Hello everyone,
I recently moved from windows into Linux and installed Ubuntu in my PC. Now, I want to create partition to my 500 GB disk, I already learned on how to do it. However, I need your kind support on how many partitions should create. My PC is mainly going to be used for data science learning and project work. There is already swap created.
Please let me know your suggestion.

Regards,

Tekle

is the 500 gb disk your main system disk? it may also help to know what you want to use the partitions for.

Thank you for replying. Yes, it is the main disk.
So far, I want to use the partitions for the following.
1. To install softwares like python, pandas, numpy
2. Data Science projects
3. Personal data

Thank you for your suggestion.

3. Personal data
you are welcome. i can't speak to the first two, but i tend to keep my personal data on the same partition. i do keep an external drive close at hand to make occasional copies of my personal data on the off chance that the main system disk dies.

My set up is nearly always one partition for the system (/), & one partition for my files (/home), if short of ram, add a swap partition.

The reasoning behind this set up is that the OS (system) can be re installed if necessary, without losing my data.

But I also keep back ups on external disks, just in case a disaster happens, power cuts, spikes in the electric supply, coffee spills, etc. ;)

you are welcome. i can't speak to the first two, but i tend to keep my personal data on the same partition. i do keep an external drive close at hand to make occasional copies of my personal data on the off chance that the main system disk dies.
Good, then because I have also external drive, the third partition I mentioned is not required.

My set up is nearly always one partition for the system (/), & one partition for my files (/home), if short of ram, add a swap partition.

The reasoning behind this set up is that the OS (system) can be re installed if necessary, without losing my data.

But I also keep back ups on external disks, just in case a disaster happens, power cuts, spikes in the electric supply, coffee spills, etc. ;)
This sounds good. In my case, while installing, the system created automatically two partitions, one for the system under the mounting point "/boot/efi" which is 512 MB and another one with 476.4 GB in mounting point "/var". Now, my intention is to split the 476.4 GB into two partitions, one is /home like yours and the other one is for application softwares that are going to be installed. But I am not sure if it is a good idea to create a partition specifically for softwares (not the operating system). Please let me know your suggestion in this regard.

Good, then because I have also external drive, the third partition I mentioned is not required.
if you are interested in having backups on that external drive, it looks like ubuntu comes with a program labeled as Backups in the menu. i haven't used it much other than to test it quickly to see if it works though.

if you are interested in having backups on that external drive, it looks like ubuntu comes with a program labeled as Backups in the menu. i haven't used it much other than to test it quickly to see if it works though.
Thank you for sharing this.

If Ubuntu is going to be the only os you plan on installing to your HDD you can just allow the the Installer that tells the Partition Manager that comes with Ubuntu to take up the entire HDD.

Other wise if you want more control of partitioning you would either choose to partition your drive manually during the Ubuntu installaiton.

OR> you can download g-parted and run it Live by a usb thumb drive or a Live CD/DVD +R.

1 to 2 Gig's is sufficient for the swap.
It's been my experience that any more than that is over kill.

See this Guide:

How to Install Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop [Step by Step Picture Guide]​

You need at least 4 GB's of RAM and 2GHz, 2-core 64-bit processor in order to install Ubuntu.

Good luck with your installation!

I'll toss this into the mix...

You no longer need a swap partition. You can just use a swapfile and be done with it. Many users forgo swap entirely, but I tend to enable it just because the system uses it. I figure the kernel is smarter than I am.

I'll toss this into the mix...

You no longer need a swap partition. You can just use a swapfile and be done with it. Many users forgo swap entirely, but I tend to enable it just because the system uses it. I figure the kernel is smarter than I am.

Agreed, I stopped creating swap partitions a few years ago. Swap's created booting issue's for me and I grew tired of fixing the "a start job is running" deal.

On the matter of swap files, this link I found an interesting read:
https://chrisdown.name/2018/01/02/in-defence-of-swap.html

That's much better than the articles I've written on the subject.

My thinking is that, even with plenty of resources, the system does use a bit of swap. I have all the RAM you'd ever need, but swap still gets used - 'cause swap is not 'extra memory'.

I concluded that I'm not as smart as the kernel is. If it uses swap when swap is available, then I'll make swap available. After all, evidence suggests that the kernel has a use for it. I just do a swapfile instead of a partition, 'cause I can and it's easier.

This sounds good. In my case, while installing, the system created automatically two partitions, one for the system under the mounting point "/boot/efi" which is 512 MB and another one with 476.4 GB in mounting point "/var". Now, my intention is to split the 476.4 GB into two partitions, one is /home like yours and the other one is for application softwares that are going to be installed. But I am not sure if it is a good idea to create a partition specifically for softwares (not the operating system). Please let me know your suggestion in this regard.
As you have a UEFI machine, as well as the necessary /boot/efi partition, I would still just have the system (/) partition & (/home) for all other files, just create a directory/folder for your, presume, downloaded software, but you should find that you have a Downloads folder already.

As you have a UEFI machine, as well as the necessary /boot/efi partition, I would still just have the system (/) partition & (/home) for all other files, just create a directory/folder for your, presume, downloaded software, but you should find that you have a Downloads folder already.
Thank you very much. Very helpful conversation.

If Ubuntu is going to be the only os you plan on installing to your HDD you can just allow the the Installer that tells the Partition Manager that comes with Ubuntu to take up the entire HDD.

Other wise if you want more control of partitioning you would either choose to partition your drive manually during the Ubuntu installaiton.

OR> you can download g-parted and run it Live by a usb thumb drive or a Live CD/DVD +R.

1 to 2 Gig's is sufficient for the swap.
It's been my experience that any more than that is over kill.

See this Guide:

How to Install Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop [Step by Step Picture Guide]​

You need at least 4 GB's of RAM and 2GHz, 2-core 64-bit processor in order to install Ubuntu.

Good luck with your installation!
Thank you. I have already installed Ubuntu without making partition during the installation.

That's much better than the articles I've written on the subject.

My thinking is that, even with plenty of resources, the system does use a bit of swap. I have all the RAM you'd ever need, but swap still gets used - 'cause swap is not 'extra memory'.

I concluded that I'm not as smart as the kernel is. If it uses swap when swap is available, then I'll make swap available. After all, evidence suggests that the kernel has a use for it. I just do a swapfile instead of a partition, 'cause I can and it's easier.
Thank you very much for sharing your experience, very helpful for me honestly.

Thank you. I have already installed Ubuntu without making partition during the installation.
You're welcome:-
So, how do you like your fresh installation of Ubuntu?

Members online