Problems to browsing on Debian Linux

I'm having the problem on Windows too
On same computer or another one?

A potential hacker could hijack computers or devices connected via WIFI, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to hijack devices connected via cable if both wifi and cable devices are connected to router.

For this to work this hacker would need to know you wifi password as well as router passowrd to hijack devices connected via cable.
So if you want to rule that out then change wifi password and also router password.

On same computer or another one?

A potential hacker could hijack computers or devices connected via WIFI, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to hijack devices connected via cable if both wifi and cable devices are connected to router.

For this to work this hacker would need to know you wifi password as well as router passowrd to hijack devices connected via cable.
So if you want to rule that out then change wifi password and also router password.
same computer, I have dual boot, but I don't have control of the router, it belongs to the ISP, they control the router remotely, and the router is set to use their VPN.

same computer, I have dual boot, but I don't have control of the router, it belongs to the ISP, they control the router remotely, and the router is set to use their VPN.
I don't think it's hacker but your computer or LAN card.

Do you now still have issues after installing firmware?

edit:
If you have this problem also on Windows, then the question is, did you install Intel Ethernet driver on Windows?
Or does Windows run on default driver from MS update?

Last edited:
I don't think it's hacker but your computer or LAN card.

Do you now still have issues after installing firmware?

edit:
If you have this problem also on Windows, then the question is, did you install Intel Ethernet driver on Windows?
Or does Windows run on default driver from MS update?
is working fine for two hours now. let's see what happens during the day. Windows is using the right driver from Intel, Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
is working fine until now. let's see what happens during the day. Thanks!
OK let us know, btw. I made a mistake with previous command.
Prior to running sudo apt install firmware-linux another command should have been run: sudo apt update

It's not big issue, to fix simply run:
Bash:
sudo apt update
sudo apt install firmware-linux

And also sudo apt upgrade to upgrade any other software that needs updates.

Prior to running sudo apt install firmware-linux another command should have been run: sudo apt update

Bash:
sudo apt update

both firmware-linux and firmware-linux-nonfree are installed!

Last edited:

Bash:
sudo apt update

it happened again, and just restarting seems to resolve.

It's time to test your LAN cable, it could be damaged ex. bitten by a cat.
To test it, use the cable on some other computer and see if problem repeats on another computer.

If it works on another computer then your LAN card is probably faulty and I would replace it.
Otherwise if the cable is faulty (produces same issue on another PC) then replace it with new one.

It's not LAN port issue on the router because it was replaced by ISP.

If this is laptop then replacing LAN card might not be as cheap, for PC, LAN cards are not expensive and replacing is easy.
LAN cable is also not expensive.

How old is your PC and is it PC or laptop?
Did you get new cable by ISP when they replaced the router?

Last edited:
It's time to test your LAN cable, it could be damaged ex. bitten by a cat.
To test it, use the cable on some other computer and see if problem repeats on another computer.

If it works on another computer then your LAN card is probably faulty and I would replace it.
Otherwise if the cable is faulty (produces same issue on another PC) then replace it with new one.

It's not LAN port issue on the router because it was replaced by ISP.
It could be LAN port issue on the PC if replacing LAN card and the cable doesn't solve the problem.

If this is laptop then replacing LAN card might not be as cheap, for PC, LAN cards are not expensive and replacing is easy.
LAN cable is also not expensive.

How old is your PC and is it PC or laptop?
Did you get new cable by ISP when they replaced the router?
The ISP's technician already tested the cable, the cable is fine, it worked for 4 hours today without an issue, and the problem also happens using WiFi on Windows, I thought, that maybe it is malware on both systems, I've exchanged files between the systems, maybe both were infected, but also have noticed the issue happening on the TV when I'm using it during the night, but the problem doesn't happen when my sister is using it the whole day. My PC is 3 years old.

I've exchanged files between the systems, maybe both were infected
Is it Windows executable that you ran in wine? because this is the only way I know of on how a Windows malware could affect both systems.

the issue happening on the TV when I'm using it during the night, but the problem doesn't happen when my sister is using it the whole day.
When you use the TV, is your PC connected as well? and that causes the TV to lose connection?

Please share speed test results (up, down and ping) from https://www.speedtest.net
Run the test on your PC.

edit:

The ISP's technician already tested the cable, the cable is fine
I don't believe they did the right test.

Did they wait for at least 30 minutes to reproduce your issue with disconnect after a period of time?
I suspect they saw it works just like you observe it but then later after 30 min it disconnects but the ISP guys are busy and unlikely to spent hours at someones home.

Some 2 months ago ISP guy was at my home and he was so busy he didn't even isolate the cable properly, I can see wires stick out.

Last edited:
Is it Windows executable that you ran in wine? because this is the only way I know of on how a Windows malware could affect both systems.

When you use the TV, is your PC connected as well? and that causes the TV to lose connection?

Please share speed test results (up, down and ping) from https://www.speedtest.net
Run the test on your PC.

edit:

I don't believe they did the right test.

Did they wait for at least 30 minutes to reproduce your issue with disconnect after a period of time?
I suspect they saw it works just like you observe it but then later after 30 min it disconnects but the ISP guys are busy and unlikely to spent hours at someones home.

Some 2 months ago ISP guy was at my home and he was so busy he didn't even isolate the cable properly, I can see wires stick out.
I have dual boot, but I didn't think it right, Is impossible the same malware affects both systems, think this way, the connection only works fine when I reboot the system, after stopping browsing, before, it works fine when I changed the IP to static one, now nothing seems to work, the ISP guy only look to the cable and found a problem in one of the edges, so I replace the edges, and worked. When I use the TV the computer is turned off, but on TV, the problem stays for a few seconds, it stops browsing and then comes back to browsing, I will reinstall both systems to test.
147.8 - Download em Mbps
86.3 - Upload em Mbps

the connection only works fine when I reboot the system, after stopping browsing, before, it works fine when I changed the IP to static one, now nothing seems to work
It's difficult to narrow down the problem if you have similar issue on TV as well.

How it TV connected? wifi or cable? same or different cable?
I would test the cable on another computer to be 100% sure the cable is OK.

I have dual boot, but I didn't think it right, Is impossible the same malware affects both systems
I will reinstall both systems to test.
By reinstalling you will rule out malware, but I bet this won't fix the problem.

I have dual boot, but I didn't think it right, Is impossible the same malware affects both systems, think this way, the connection only works fine when I reboot the system, after stopping browsing, before, it works fine when I changed the IP to static one, now nothing seems to work, the ISP guy only look to the cable and found a problem in one of the edges, so I replace the edges, and worked. When I use the TV the computer is turned off, but on TV, the problem stays for a few seconds, it stops browsing and then comes back to browsing, I will reinstall both systems to test.
147.8 - Download em Mbps
86.3 - Upload em Mbps
It can be portable if it's running in something like Python.

Signed,

Matthew Campbell

How crowded is your neighborhood? Have you tried using a different wifi band or channel?

Signed,

Matthew Campbell

It's difficult to narrow down the problem if you have similar issue on TV as well.

How it TV connected? wifi or cable? same or different cable?
I would test the cable on another computer to be 100% sure the cable is OK.

By reinstalling you will rule out malware, but I bet this won't fix the problem.
tv is a different behavior, it stops browsing for a few seconds only. TV is connected through a cable.

Members online