Proton Account Query.

from that article:

The FBI didn’t get much back from Proton, but it did receive the recovery and associated email addresses linked to the ProtonMail user. They proved crucial, enabling the FBI to find more information about the person online and conduct a sweep across the suspect's internet accounts, including on Amazon, Apple, Coinbase, Google, PayPal and Spotify. The FBI didn’t make clear in the warrant why it needed to get account activity across the various platforms, though it was likely to gather further evidence.

I dont see that as a breach of that person's privacy, or indeed of proton's terms of service.
The boofhead involved was making a direct threat against another person.
I would applaud proton for the decision they made

“Any information received would be limited to metadata, since email contents, attachments, files, calendar entries, etc. are all end-to-end encrypted and no-one, not even Proton, can access them.”

I believe the inference has been addressed ^^^....and surely a reasonable minded person would be ok/forgiving for the help that proton did provide, scant though it may have been.

Further discussion here which I hadn't seen earlier when posting:
May not make a difference though.

Here's another. The trouble is that there are mixed messages and it's very difficult for ordinary users to untangle the situation.

Last edited:

Just came across this in Proton, sounds good to me.​

What do you reckon?​

Protect your online identity​

Hide-my-email aliases let you sign up for things online without sharing your email address.J

One of the reditors said she would not trust a company that protected criminal and did not follow court orders.

I agree. Proton did jot protect a person who has threatened another with violence.

They did not hide anything after receiving the warrant....if they had, they would have found themselves in court.

I feel the only mixed messages there are those voiced by some of the reddit members, who fancy themselves as judge jury and executioner.

I think the whole situation is a win for common sense on the one hand, and also a win for the integrity of proton.

Last edited:
@Condobloke wrote:
I feel the only mixed messages there are those voiced by some of the reddit members, who fancy themselves as judge jury and executioner.
Just to be clear, the "mixed messages" I was referring to were about the multiple views about the nature and the degree of the privacy of companies, in that case, proton. There was no judgement intended, nor was one made by me, rather, the interest was more in the differences between policy and the enacting of it by all the players, companies, corporations, government authorities and individuals. YMMV.

Last edited:
There was no judgement intended, nor was one made by me, rather, the interest was more in the differences between policy and the enacting of it by all the players, companies, corporations, government authorities and individuals.
Noted and understood.
I guess when it comes to emotional issues such as this where opinions etc differ quite widely, everyone's mileage may vary.

I still find myself quite sceptical on the whole topic of email providers.
That will not change in the short term. i see email providing continuing on its downward spiral. Driven almost entirely by greed.

If you're really concerned, it's possible to host your own email. Depending on how deep you dive, that can be very complicated or it can be just a quick set up and you're good to go. The easiest way would be to just buy some cheap hosting and a domain name.

Latest posts